Merrimack Pharmaceuticals Interview Questions & Reviews

5 interviews

3.4

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Merrimack Pharmaceuticals.

Bad weather the morning of the interview complicated things but the HR rep was accommodating and seemed to work hard to ensure things went smoothly. Spent a good deal of time on personality questions. I believe the company places a premium on teamwork and fostering a positive work place. Met with HR rep and 4 scientists for about 3hr total.

Interview Questions
    • Very specific questions about some laboratory techniques...ie what was manufacturer of certain equipment, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merrimack Pharmaceuticals in October 2010.

The hiring manager (HM) directly contacted me and scheduled a phone interview, that went smoothly. I was scheduled for an on-site interview with the HM, HR and several group members 2 weeks later - it was including a presentation. While I thought I did good at the time, everybody was extremely nice and I would have been honored to work with them, I had a "strange" feeling when I met the HM, as if he wasn't really interested in my presence there. In retrospect, I believe they had already indentified their top choice.

That said, I have to admit that at the time, I did not read any "how to interview" book, and was coming straight from academia - and well, it was showing; I was unaware of many of the presently accepted Interview Rules. Best thing one can do is go buy a book on how to interview, especially if you're coming out of Academia.

The interview questions were heavily behavioral, like "Tell me about a time when you ... ". The "rule" is that you should answer in <90s :).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a difficulty with a project and you couldn't find a solution.   View Answer
    • Tell me about time when you had difficulty with a colleague.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Merrimack Pharmaceuticals in January 2010.

I applied online and got an e-mail message from the hiring manager directly, who set up a phone interview a few days later. The interview was quite long (~1hr), and seemed to go smoothly, the hiring manager was a nice person. He said he was happy woth my phone interview, but because they were at the begining of the interview process, I shall hear back about scheduling an on-site interview in 3-4 weeks. only. I did not, therefore I contacted him again to see if I was still considered for an on-site interview. I never received an answer back. That position disappeared but then has recently been reposted. I have to say that I would have appreciated a simple "the position is no longer available" reply instead of no reply at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merrimack Pharmaceuticals in March 2009.

I heard of Merrimack via word-of-mouth. I sent an inquiry via email and had a phone interview the very next day with senior manager who was very personable and structured the call as a scientist-to-scientist discussion. I then scheduled an on-site interview. Merrimack has a very progressive HR department that takes a "whole person" approach to selecting candidates. It is not enough to simply have the necessary skills, you have to "fit" with your team and the company. I spoke with at least 10 people that day and gave a presentation to a room of 20 people. I didn't meet a single person that I didn't instantly respect as a scientist and a genuinely warm person. As for advice for others-- if you are a team player with a good personality and an excellent scientific potential then just be yourself.

Interview Questions
    • This topic was broached a few times and I forget the wording, but the general question was "How have you collaborated with colleagues?" They wanted to know whether I could balance personal ambition with the needs of the team.   Answer Question
    Merrimack didn't low-ball the offer package. For my level of experience, their offer was what I would have negotiated for so I felt it would be bad form to ask for more.

Project Lead Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Merrimack Pharmaceuticals in May 2011.

Series of 1:1 interviews. Company had a very positive vibe that appeared to be shared by all employees that I both interviewed with and met casually. Set up for the interview was well managed by the recruiter and I felt well informed going into the process. Senior staff members involved in the interview seemed to be less "engaged" than I would have hoped, compared to the more junior team members.

Interview Questions
    • How would you secure support for your program when other programs are regarded as higher priority by senior management.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Merrimack Pharmaceuticals

Worked for Merrimack Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!