Merrimack Pharmaceuticals

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cambridge, MA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merrimack Pharmaceuticals in October 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring manager (HM) directly contacted me and scheduled a phone interview, that went smoothly. I was scheduled for an on-site interview with the HM, HR and several group members 2 weeks later - it was including a presentation. While I thought I did good at the time, everybody was extremely nice and I would have been honored to work with them, I had a "strange" feeling when I met the HM, as if he wasn't really interested in my presence there. In retrospect, I believe they had already indentified their top choice.

That said, I have to admit that at the time, I did not read any "how to interview" book, and was coming straight from academia - and well, it was showing; I was unaware of many of the presently accepted Interview Rules. Best thing one can do is go buy a book on how to interview, especially if you're coming out of Academia.

The interview questions were heavily behavioral, like "Tell me about a time when you ... ". The "rule" is that you should answer in <90s :).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a difficulty with a project and you couldn't find a solution.   View Answer
  • Tell me about time when you had difficulty with a colleague.   View Answer

Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Merrimack Pharmaceuticals in January 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online and got an e-mail message from the hiring manager directly, who set up a phone interview a few days later. The interview was quite long (~1hr), and seemed to go smoothly, the hiring manager was a nice person. He said he was happy woth my phone interview, but because they were at the begining of the interview process, I shall hear back about scheduling an on-site interview in 3-4 weeks. only. I did not, therefore I contacted him again to see if I was still considered for an on-site interview. I never received an answer back. That position disappeared but then has recently been reposted. I have to say that I would have appreciated a simple "the position is no longer available" reply instead of no reply at all.

Interview Question – What is your team work experience?   Answer Question

Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merrimack Pharmaceuticals in March 2009.

Interview Details – I heard of Merrimack via word-of-mouth. I sent an inquiry via email and had a phone interview the very next day with senior manager who was very personable and structured the call as a scientist-to-scientist discussion. I then scheduled an on-site interview. Merrimack has a very progressive HR department that takes a "whole person" approach to selecting candidates. It is not enough to simply have the necessary skills, you have to "fit" with your team and the company. I spoke with at least 10 people that day and gave a presentation to a room of 20 people. I didn't meet a single person that I didn't instantly respect as a scientist and a genuinely warm person. As for advice for others-- if you are a team player with a good personality and an excellent scientific potential then just be yourself.

Interview Question – This topic was broached a few times and I forget the wording, but the general question was "How have you collaborated with colleagues?" They wanted to know whether I could balance personal ambition with the needs of the team.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Merrimack didn't low-ball the offer package. For my level of experience, their offer was what I would have negotiated for so I felt it would be bad form to ask for more.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Merrimack Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Merrimack Pharmaceuticals Scientist interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Merrimack Pharmaceuticals employees and interview candidates.