Merritt Athletic Clubs Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.4

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merritt Athletic Clubs (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

Fair- not your traditional interview questions; brief phone screen by human resource manager asking questions about my sales background and management style and a 30 minute in person interview with sales VP and the area manager. The VP asked some basic background information in regards to my retail experience and then also asked some non-traditional interview questions. .

Interview Questions

• What is the last book you read and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

An offer letter was e-mailed to me. I reviewed compensation, signed and sent back.

Operation Liaison Interview

Anonymous Employee in White Marsh, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Merritt Athletic Clubs (White Marsh, MD) in April 2015.

Interview

Quick phone interview and they will set you up for the infamous group interview.
    They put you in a room with about 10 other people. All applying for different jobs. Ask you to introduce yourself.

Whole process was a joke and noting was professional about the environment. They have the "universal soldier" mentality. Basically they want to use and abuse you anyway they can.

Stay far far away unless your into making 10 dollars an hour and being abused.

A waste of time and energy.

Interview Questions

• If you could eat dinner with one person in history who would it be and why   1 Answer

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Merritt Athletic Clubs in February 2015.

Interview

What a joke the Group Interview process turned out to be. No wonder Merritt has never expanded beyond the Baltimore area if all of their business practices are similar. As a person with many years of professional experience coupled with an advanced degree, I assumed Merritt would treat me with a little dignity and respect. I was definitely wrong to even think this. I was called to the Towson location for the Group interview by Andrew Barranco. Upon arrival, i was told to sit in the waiting area where Andrew would get us soon. Andrew showed up on time and first impressions were that even though he represents Merritt, he doesn't utilize their facilities. Andrew proceeded to take me and six high school kids to a room in the rear of the facility. Once there, we sat around a conference table and were joined by Coleen, who could relate better with the HS kids since she was one herself less than 5 or 6 years ago. The whole process was one of the most unprofessional experiences i witnessed in any interview process!!

Interview Questions

• Choose a color between blue, orange, red, yellow, etc and share with the group why you chose that color?   Answer Question
    • If you could have dinner with anyone from history, who would you choose?   Answer Question
    • Split up into two groups and work this puzzle.   1 Answer
    • Go outdide of this room, spend a few minutes with one of the other applicants and find out two things about him or her that the rest of us don't know.   Answer Question

The initial impressions of this company through their hiring practices tell me that they have no respect nor do they show any dignity for the club management. They also do not want a manager, they want a salesman. Management of the individual clubs will be micromanaged from sbove. I now understand their extremely high club manager attrition rate.

Personal Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merritt Athletic Clubs (Baltimore, MD) in December 2014.

Interview

I had two interviews, one group, the other with the manager. It was straightforward. Pretty basic, I just demonstrated my knowledge in customer service and sales. The Regional Manager was professional and friendly. I was disappointed in the communication skills in the club level, but overall it was a decent experience.

LIfe Guard Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eldersburg, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Merritt Athletic Clubs (Eldersburg, MD) in August 2014.

Interview

It was went well they asked a lot of questions and were very thorough on my back ground they wanted me to do a bunch of thing so the explained how to clean a pool what to look for while watching

Interview Questions

• Why did u descide to work at merit   1 Answer

Fitness Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cockeysville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merritt Athletic Clubs (Cockeysville, MD) in September 2013.

Interview

My interview was horrible there was no interest in why I chose to work for the company an the manager just looked like she wanted to rip my head off he didn't really give me a chance to speak so I could let her understand why I would be a good pick she talked for 98% of the interview and then stopped and then said 2 days later when I called that she is perusing other options like how can you judge a potential candidate without letting them speak she acted like she hated her life and when I came in for my interview she acted like I was a waste of her time not something I would want in a supervisor anyway. It's a great gym but horrible to work for from what I have witnessed

Interview Questions

• Do you have any sales experience?   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Merritt Athletic Clubs (Baltimore, MD) in June 2010.

Interview

you have to do two interveiws, the questions arent too thought provoking, sometimes you have to do a groupinterveiw ither times you don't, it just all depends on the club your going to work, if i were you i would try for a club thats not express, more guareentee there

Interview Questions

• How are you ablke to deal with stress?   1 Answer

Management Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merritt Athletic Clubs in July 2010.

Interview

I was surprised that after a phone interview and two follow-up interviews, no one ever called. If an applicant interviews with your company the least you can do is say thanks, but no thanks. Or just return a call so the applicant knows where they stand!