Mervyns

Relevance Date Difficulty

Executive Team Leader Interview

Executive Team Leader
Slidell, LA

I applied online and interviewed at Mervyns.

Interview Details – I applied two or three times over 6 months. By the time I got called for an interview, I had forgotten that I even applied there. Initial interview was a 30 minute phone screen, 2nd interview was with a training store manager in kenner, LA. Interview lasted about 45 minutes. Both interviews had all of the standard questions that you would expect from someone with prior management background.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A week after my 2nd interview, I was called by HR and offered more money than I asked for initially. I accepted on the spot.

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Associate Interview

Customer Service Associate
Tucson, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Mervyns in November 2008.

Interview Details – Very basic and typical interview. Asked standard questions via an in-store terminal multiple choice survey. HR team was friendly and patient.

Interview Question – Any question dealing with an angry or irritated customer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nothing special, they quoted a starting pay, I accepted. No negotiating.

Retail Associate Interview

Retail Associate
Torrance, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Mervyns in June 2009.

Interview Details – The interview was very straightforward. I was interviewed in person by the Team Lead. I was asked a series of questions to determine how I would handle different incidents in a retail environment. I was given a background check. The Team Lead was very personable and listened well and made the effort to be sure we could communicate well. She demonstrated by example the leadership skills she was seeking in new employees for the store. I was impressed by this.

Interview Question – In which order would you handle these multiple incidents, a customer that needs someone to ring up their purchase, an accident in another department, a team manager who needs you to report to another department and clothing that is on the floor that needs to be picked up and detailed.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager
Torrance, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Mervyns in April 2008.

Interview Details – Had two face to face interviews after applying online

Interview Question – Tell me alittle about yourself?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Mervyns in January 2008.

Interview Details – Applied at store's kiosk & had waited over 2wks for response for consideration for employment. Mgmt. was busy which explained the delay for consideration. Received call to come in for first interview. After interview, decision was made on the spot & employment was offered & accepted. Next scheduled appt. was for orientation/training of store's policies, cash register training...

Interview Questions

Shift Manager Interview

Shift Manager
Ontario, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Mervyns in June 2008.

Interview Details – I was given a background of the position over the phone and I was screened.
Second I was invited to a tour and 1-on-1 with the Director.
Lastly, I was invited to another interview with a two other managers.

Interview Question – How did you handle a difficult employee?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Its gone, doesn't matter anymore.

Merchandiser Interview

Merchandiser
Hayward, CA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Mervyns in October 2008.

Interview Details – it wasn't bad. easy behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Describe a time you had a conflict   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not really happening

Customer Service Associate Interview

Customer Service Associate

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Mervyns in August 2009.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of a group interview asking a series of questions of how to deal with angry customers, how you would solicit credit, and questions regarding your personality. Overall, the interview went well and it was an easy process.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had great customer service.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mervyns in January 2008.

Interview Details – I first had a phone interview with a recruiter with consisted of a few general questions about the posititon. Then I did a 1:1 interview with a store manager that lasted about 30 minutes answering situational questions. Lastly I did an interview with a district manager which had more situational questions. I was offered a position and took it immediately.

Interview Question – Talk about a situation where you disagreed with a superior? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mervyns in September 2008.

Interview Details – First it will be a phone interview, if they select you, then they will call you with in a week and would like you to meet one of the store manager. They will set up an time and day with the store manager. Once you meet the store manager for an interview, they will let you know next day or day after that, whether you are selected or not. If selected, you then meet with the District manager and district loss prevention manager for third interview. After that you get a call from Human resource if you get selected or not. They will ask you which day you can come in to talk about salary and benefits and then you start from there.

Interview Question – What are the 2 things I like about Retail?   View Answer

Worked for Mervyns? Contribute to the Community!