MetLife

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at MetLife in March 2013.

Interview Details – Was really straightforward but more personal. Interview lasted about 30 minutes and was asked to call back to schedule a 2nd interview. Went into detail about what the position was, found out it was a glorified title for a sales position. Also went into further detail that it was a commission based job with salary for the first 8 months which was incentive for you to promote yourself and get your name out.

After the initial salary, would be a commission based position that would be spread out to make a evenly month to month salary. Their requirements were that you hold at least 10 interviews per week and close 1 to 2 clients per week.

Interview Question – Was asked how I would market myself because it was basically your own boss job with the big company name behind it. Also was asked to bring a marketing plan to how I would attack my clientele.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Didnt think I had enough clientele to withhold the position, which wouldve probably ended my employment.

Pasadena, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MetLife in March 2012.

Interview Details – Phone Interview, 1:1 Interview, Personality Test

Interview Question – What was your biggest challenge and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at MetLife in April 2008.

Interview Details – The position is obviously sales, so the company has an incentive to create as large as a workforce as possible. If you place within an acceptable range on their personality test - "acceptable" meaning your manager thinks you're coachable enough to be successful - you move on to the next stage, which is gathering up contact info on everyone you know to make your initial sales/call list. You will also meet with the Director of the agency in a 2:1 meeting, where he will gauge your odds of success based on your motivation and personal network. With the current structure at MetLife, FSRs are financed for 19 weeks, but there are certain ground rules in place that create the incentive for the agency to delay "launching" you until you can guarantee hitting the first sales goal.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – The position, in its purest form, is commission only; however, FSRs are financed during their first 19 weeks of employment. The amount received during this period appears non-negotiable, but I have personally seen different people paid between $600-$1200/wk during the financing period. I was paid $800/wk and told that they were really "stretching" to pay me that, and that I had to promise to use a certain portion as a "marketing budget."

Financial Planner

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at MetLife.

Interview Details – 3-6 mos several interviews lasting 1-2 hours they will interview you to death in an attempt to get you to lower your guard and find the real you. This is done to see how well you will put up with what they ask of you. There will be several steps in the process and at a point you will be required to shell out 100s to 1000's of dollars to take FINRA exams without the guarantee of a job. You must pass all exams the first time or you are out of the process no matter how far along you may be. The exams and filing fees are not cheap be prepared with a cash surplus to finance all the expenses at startup.

Interview Question – Give us a list of the closest people you know with serious money you can "help"(aka sell something to) tomorrow we will help you call them right now to get you going in the right direction.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations its 100% commission based you sell you earn you don't sell you go in debt and eventually get fired

Worked for MetLife? Contribute to the Community!