MetLife Financial Service Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

2.3

27 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Albuquerque, NM
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at MetLife in May 2010.

The interview process was very lenghty - spread out over 2 months. Was almost 4 months before I was officially hired. Have patience and follow up with the person you originally interviewed with.

Interview Questions
There was no negotiation for this position.

Other Interview Reviews for MetLife

Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at MetLife in May 2010.

They make you feel like a king when you walk in the door, and put in you a nice office (most likely to shield your view of the tiny cubicles where you will inevitably be cold calling people for your entire career at Metlife). The HR person will give you lots of fancy looking documents and explain the compensation structure which sounds great until you realize that the entire job is calling people who dont want to buy anything for hours a day. It's basically a telemarketing job but you are paid for how well you perform, which in this industry is usually not great.

Interview Questions

Cold calling isnt my thing

Anonymous Employee  in  Danvers, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at MetLife in February 2010.

Pretty simple interview, asked almost entirely personal questions. Mostly just a sales pitch as to why you should join the company, explained the interview process, and the steps needed to get hired. Have you take personality test as second step, then come in multiple more times to talk. Long process that is difficult if travelling from far away. Overall positive though

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MetLife in March 2008.

Interview with the direct manager, personality and IQ tests, then an interview with the next level manager. I was found through Monster.com. My advice is to be honest throughout the process as not every person is fit for a job in financial services. All of the managers were completely honest in describing the work load which is a lot. You will put in many more than 40 hours per week, but it can be rewarding (financially) if you are willing to put in the time and effort.

No negotiating possible, the job is 100% commission

Anonymous Employee  in  Marlton, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Marlton, NJ

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MetLife in December 2009.

After submitting my resume, I was called by a Recruiter to briefly discuss my background. Later, I was emailed to set up an interview.

The first interview was face to face with the same Recruiter who called me. It consisted of the usual fit questions about my background and my personality, what others think of me, etc.

Second interview was with a sales manager. Mostly the same questions as the first but some were a little more specific to the job. One question is "what would you ask me if I was a client and told you I wanted a $200,000 life insurance policy?" I'm pretty sure he just wanted to hear me say that I would want to look into the client's current financial situation a little more to see if that policy would be appropriate.

After the second interview, they sent me the "Project 200" spreadsheet which is a prospective client list (I guess to help you find your target market) I had to fill it out and contact the company later to set up a third interview.

I can't say much about the third interview, because during mine the Branch Manager who was conducting the interview thought that it was only my second. Apparently they misplaced my records and the guy I met with for the second interview was on vacation. So after I told him I had already completed the spreadsheet we talked about it for about 3 minutes and it was over. I was not offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • If I'm a client and I tell you I want a $200,000 life insurance policy, what would you say to me?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at MetLife in April 2009.

Initial interview - standard interview screening. Who is your hero, what situations challenged you, etc. First round is used solely to determine if you are well spoken enough to be employable. Second interview was with managing partner of branch and was slightly more rigorous. Branch manager looks for sales experience so be sure to stress that.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, comission based.

Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MetLife in May 2009.

I am in process, and interviewing with multiple companies. I am impressed with MetLife, at this point, having met with the recruiter and the managing director of the office -- good meetings both. I was given surveys to call friends/family to ask 9 general questions. I was also sent a secure link to enter potential contacts, which I am holding back on, at this point.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Princeton, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NC

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MetLife in April 2009.

Seems like a great place to work

A little negotiation on the 15 wk salary

Financial Services Representative Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at MetLife.

I probably applied on monster.com or some site like that. I got a call a few days later from someone who worked in a Long Island office. After he described the job (not very well) I told him I didn't think it was my skill set and that I wanted to work in NYC. He didn't seem to care (this usually would disqualify you immediately on a phone interview from any other company) and asked if I could come into the office later in the week. I accepted and subsequently scheduled a time. After reading up about the position, I realized it was just one of those places that hires anyone hoping that maybe one person stays out of 100. I wasn't trying to waste my time trying to sell life insurance to random people so I called and cancelled my interview.

Interview Questions
    • Answer any questions on the phone any way you like and they will still bring you in for an in-person interview. I wouldn't be surprised if the same went for the in-person interview seeing as they lose nothing by hiring you. There is no base salary.   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at MetLife.

Contacted by recruiting director from resume posted job board. Resume showed strong sales background. No prior financial services experience. Phone interview with recruiter. Scheduled to meet with a manager. If the manager likes you, they have you do a personality test. Depending on the results, they schedule a group interview with the managing director, his right-hand man, another sales manager, the manager of the managers, and one other sales person. They tried to make this look hard, but the interview questions are very are easy. They may be harder now that they are mostly looking for experienced reps. They do a full background check, fingerprinting, and drug screening. You will need to pass the Life & Health licensing exam, followed by a Series 6 exam. You will pay for all your own licensing fees and materials. The cost is not excessive and they do allow you to pay for a portion out of payroll deduction. My manager did not disclose any information about the costs in advance. I think this was an honest oversight - he was a new manager and thought the recruiting director had shared this information. They do provide some one-on-one study assistance while working towards passing the exams.
    After passing the exams, expect a period of "pre-appointment production" (or "PAP" as they refer to it.) These are sales quotas you must make prior to being hired or paid. This is a beneficial period for you to get an idea of if this is a good fit for you.

Interview Questions
    • These were no unexpected question during the one-on-one interview with the manager. Mostly fluff like "tell me about yourself." The group interview was a little more challenging due being asked questions from five different directions. Specific questions included: "Why do you want to do this?" "Why do you think you would be good at this position?" "What challenges do you anticipate?" "How would you handle an objection such as [insert random objection."   View Answer