MetLife

Updated Feb 8, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at MetLife in July 2011.

Met this employer at a local job/career fair. Spoke with the recruiting coordinator and left a resume. Was contacted by phone several days later to come to the facility on Gessner Road. MetLife has a web-based testing system that collects basic information about the applicant, performs a psychological assessment (to check the applicant's suitability for selling their services), and conducts a simulation of work-related situations (using a multiple-choice format).

My particular test, I went in, was seated in a cubicle with a laptop computer, and was left to complete everything. The workstation, though, was set to automatically install Windows updates and, at one point, rebooted itself and locked me out of the testing. Sounds like they're not as sharp on managing their technology as they could be.

After the test, I was thanked, and that was the last I heard from them. Other reviews on this site indicate that MetLife can take months to respond to an applicant that interests them.

Interview Questions
  • No questions were asked directly to me; they were included in the workstation-based assessment.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for MetLife

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Des Moines, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Des Moines, IA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at MetLife in April 2011.

I worked through a temp agency and they had already screened me and recommended me for the position. The manager who interviewed me basically was there to make sure I would fit in and he just asked me some general questions since we were already there. Very easy, laid-back interview.

Interview Questions
    The temp agency took care of salary. I had pre-negotiated with RH for $14/hr.

Financial Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wallingford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wallingford, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MetLife in March 2011.

The base salary is 32500 which declines each quarter for 2 years. You can earn unlimted commissions on top of the base salary.

no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Cranford, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Cranford, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MetLife in February 2011.

First was an information session with recruiters. If you were interested after the information they give you they will set up an interview at your local branch. Was called by the local manager to come in for an interview. There was two additional follow-up interviews with specialists. Then a meeting to go over compensation and benefits. Overall a lengthy process, but not difficult.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MetLife in May 2010.

The interview process was very lenghty - spread out over 2 months. Was almost 4 months before I was officially hired. Have patience and follow up with the person you originally interviewed with.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation for this position.

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MetLife in May 2010.

They make you feel like a king when you walk in the door, and put in you a nice office (most likely to shield your view of the tiny cubicles where you will inevitably be cold calling people for your entire career at Metlife). The HR person will give you lots of fancy looking documents and explain the compensation structure which sounds great until you realize that the entire job is calling people who dont want to buy anything for hours a day. It's basically a telemarketing job but you are paid for how well you perform, which in this industry is usually not great.

Interview Questions

Cold calling isnt my thing

Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at MetLife in February 2010.

Pretty simple interview, asked almost entirely personal questions. Mostly just a sales pitch as to why you should join the company, explained the interview process, and the steps needed to get hired. Have you take personality test as second step, then come in multiple more times to talk. Long process that is difficult if travelling from far away. Overall positive though

Anonymous Employee in Marlton, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Marlton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MetLife in December 2009.

After submitting my resume, I was called by a Recruiter to briefly discuss my background. Later, I was emailed to set up an interview.

The first interview was face to face with the same Recruiter who called me. It consisted of the usual fit questions about my background and my personality, what others think of me, etc.

Second interview was with a sales manager. Mostly the same questions as the first but some were a little more specific to the job. One question is "what would you ask me if I was a client and told you I wanted a $200,000 life insurance policy?" I'm pretty sure he just wanted to hear me say that I would want to look into the client's current financial situation a little more to see if that policy would be appropriate.

After the second interview, they sent me the "Project 200" spreadsheet which is a prospective client list (I guess to help you find your target market) I had to fill it out and contact the company later to set up a third interview.

I can't say much about the third interview, because during mine the Branch Manager who was conducting the interview thought that it was only my second. Apparently they misplaced my records and the guy I met with for the second interview was on vacation. So after I told him I had already completed the spreadsheet we talked about it for about 3 minutes and it was over. I was not offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • If I'm a client and I tell you I want a $200,000 life insurance policy, what would you say to me?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MetLife in May 2009.

I am in process, and interviewing with multiple companies. I am impressed with MetLife, at this point, having met with the recruiter and the managing director of the office -- good meetings both. I was given surveys to call friends/family to ask 9 general questions. I was also sent a secure link to enter potential contacts, which I am holding back on, at this point.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MetLife in April 2009.

Initial interview - standard interview screening. Who is your hero, what situations challenged you, etc. First round is used solely to determine if you are well spoken enough to be employable. Second interview was with managing partner of branch and was slightly more rigorous. Branch manager looks for sales experience so be sure to stress that.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, comission based.