MetLife Financial Service Representative Interview Questions

Updated May 19, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Delmont, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at MetLife (Delmont, PA) in January 2012.

Interview

I was pleasantly surprised that they contacted me so quickly (within just a few hours of me applying online). However, as a recent graduate with a degree in finance I felt deceived by the job title after it was explained to me. When it came down to it, the position is basically for an insurance salesman. Don't get me wrong, there are people that are great at doing this and enjoy it but this type of career is one of the few that I know I don't want to get involved in based on my personality and interests. After the one on one interview (which took about 20-30 minutes) they had me take a lengthy personality/interest/scenario test. This alone took upwards of an hour and a half to complete. All in all, if you're looking to become a salesman of some sort you may want to look into this job. However, if you're in the same boat as me and you're looking for a finance job, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• How many people do you know within a 50 miles radius?   1 Answer
  • Use five words or phrases to describe yourself.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for MetLife

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at MetLife (Nashville, TN) in October 2011.

Interview

I posted my resume through the Career Center at the university I attend. I was given a call within 3 hours. I spoke to someone in HR and we scheduled a time to talk about the position via phone. After this interview, we scheduled a time where I could come into the office to meet with the Branch Manager. During the interview, the manager seemed very scatter-brained and forgot several times things that he had already gone over. He went over th "Project 200" and at that point I politely told him that this would not be a good fit and thanked him for his time.

Interview Questions

• How many contacts do you have on Facebook?   1 Answer

I have received offers and quite frankly did not want to work under the management in that office.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at MetLife (Houston, TX) in July 2011.

Interview

Met this employer at a local job/career fair. Spoke with the recruiting coordinator and left a resume. Was contacted by phone several days later to come to the facility on Gessner Road. MetLife has a web-based testing system that collects basic information about the applicant, performs a psychological assessment (to check the applicant's suitability for selling their services), and conducts a simulation of work-related situations (using a multiple-choice format).

My particular test, I went in, was seated in a cubicle with a laptop computer, and was left to complete everything. The workstation, though, was set to automatically install Windows updates and, at one point, rebooted itself and locked me out of the testing. Sounds like they're not as sharp on managing their technology as they could be.

After the test, I was thanked, and that was the last I heard from them. Other reviews on this site indicate that MetLife can take months to respond to an applicant that interests them.

Interview Questions

• No questions were asked directly to me; they were included in the workstation-based assessment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at MetLife (West Des Moines, IA) in April 2011.

Interview

I worked through a temp agency and they had already screened me and recommended me for the position. The manager who interviewed me basically was there to make sure I would fit in and he just asked me some general questions since we were already there. Very easy, laid-back interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The temp agency took care of salary. I had pre-negotiated with RH for $14/hr.

Financial Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wallingford, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MetLife (Wallingford, CT) in March 2011.

Interview

The base salary is 32500 which declines each quarter for 2 years. You can earn unlimted commissions on top of the base salary.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Cranford, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MetLife (Cranford, NJ) in February 2011.

Interview

First was an information session with recruiters. If you were interested after the information they give you they will set up an interview at your local branch. Was called by the local manager to come in for an interview. There was two additional follow-up interviews with specialists. Then a meeting to go over compensation and benefits. Overall a lengthy process, but not difficult.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MetLife (Albuquerque, NM) in May 2010.

Interview

The interview process was very lenghty - spread out over 2 months. Was almost 4 months before I was officially hired. Have patience and follow up with the person you originally interviewed with.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation for this position.

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MetLife (Denver, CO) in May 2010.

Interview

They make you feel like a king when you walk in the door, and put in you a nice office (most likely to shield your view of the tiny cubicles where you will inevitably be cold calling people for your entire career at Metlife). The HR person will give you lots of fancy looking documents and explain the compensation structure which sounds great until you realize that the entire job is calling people who dont want to buy anything for hours a day. It's basically a telemarketing job but you are paid for how well you perform, which in this industry is usually not great.

Interview Questions

• How big is your natural market?   2 Answers

Cold calling isnt my thing

Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at MetLife (Danvers, MA) in February 2010.

Interview

Pretty simple interview, asked almost entirely personal questions. Mostly just a sales pitch as to why you should join the company, explained the interview process, and the steps needed to get hired. Have you take personality test as second step, then come in multiple more times to talk. Long process that is difficult if travelling from far away. Overall positive though

Anonymous Employee in Marlton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MetLife (Marlton, NJ) in December 2009.

Interview

After submitting my resume, I was called by a Recruiter to briefly discuss my background. Later, I was emailed to set up an interview.

The first interview was face to face with the same Recruiter who called me. It consisted of the usual fit questions about my background and my personality, what others think of me, etc.

Second interview was with a sales manager. Mostly the same questions as the first but some were a little more specific to the job. One question is "what would you ask me if I was a client and told you I wanted a $200,000 life insurance policy?" I'm pretty sure he just wanted to hear me say that I would want to look into the client's current financial situation a little more to see if that policy would be appropriate.

After the second interview, they sent me the "Project 200" spreadsheet which is a prospective client list (I guess to help you find your target market) I had to fill it out and contact the company later to set up a third interview.

I can't say much about the third interview, because during mine the Branch Manager who was conducting the interview thought that it was only my second. Apparently they misplaced my records and the guy I met with for the second interview was on vacation. So after I told him I had already completed the spreadsheet we talked about it for about 3 minutes and it was over. I was not offered the job.

Interview Questions

• If I'm a client and I tell you I want a $200,000 life insurance policy, what would you say to me?   1 Answer