MetLife

Average Difficulty
27 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Plymouth Meeting, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at MetLife.

Interview Details – Was referred for interview through a networking partner. Recruiter was nice, initial interview was not very difficult or challenging. Office was clean and scenic, nice windows

Interview Question – How would you define success?   Answer Question

Financial Service Representative Interview

Financial Service Representative
Wallingford, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at MetLife in March 2011.

Interview Details – The base salary is 32500 which declines each quarter for 2 years. You can earn unlimted commissions on top of the base salary.

Interview Question – I don't remember anything difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at MetLife in April 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by email 4 months after I applied for the position and scheduled my interview for the following week. Everyone was friendly and polite in the office and the receptionist gave me directions to the office when I was lost. I waited for my interview for around 10 minutes and then was called in to meet the co-managing director. As expected I was asked to tell a little about myself and after that he talked about the company and the position the rest of the time. The interview was going well but then he asked if I was in school and explained that I could not be a full-time student if I took the job. I then took to opportunity to ask if there were any part-time/ internship positions available and was told to call his assistant to start my training the following week for a secretary position. Fast-forward 3 weeks and several calls and messages later I was told to take a Virtual Job Assessment and I did well and was called in for a second interview at which I was told that I was hired. **UPDATE:It has been 2 MONTHS and I have not started training yet after multiple calls and emails. Needless to say I wasted my time with this compay.

Interview Question – The unexpected question was "Do you remember when you applied?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – He offered a really good rate so I did not feel the need to negotiate.

Financial Services Representative

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at MetLife.

Interview Details – Phone interview, 2 face to face interviews.

Interview Question – Why would you be good at this?   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at MetLife.

Interview Details – Process is mess. Interviews are a breeze, basically of you act like your rich/ have rich friends and lots of community connections you're hired. They have you fill out a worksheet with up to 200 names, put 300 and you're in. Once you're "hired" and pass the industry exams ( life/ series 66/ series7) you go into a quasi training period for 3-7 weeks depending on your sales performance. Key point is you're not paid during this period and you won't start receiving a paycheck until all regulators have signed off all licenses are in place etc. so your hire date is a moving target.

Interview Question – None really. Just keeping talking up your connections and dropping names.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They're more flexible on your base weekly pay then they let on. Don't settle for anything other then the full 24k they will pay you in the first 19 weeks (save your money though because all those people you said you knew in the interview better buy insurance/give referrals or your paychecks will drop from 1300 week to 0 if you don't have a lot of sales in your pipeline.)

West Des Moines, IA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at MetLife in April 2011.

Interview Details – I worked through a temp agency and they had already screened me and recommended me for the position. The manager who interviewed me basically was there to make sure I would fit in and he just asked me some general questions since we were already there. Very easy, laid-back interview.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The temp agency took care of salary. I had pre-negotiated with RH for $14/hr.

Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at MetLife in March 2012.

Interview Details – I had an on campus interview with Gateway Capitol Financial's recruiter we met for a short period of time told me about the company, the position, and wanted to see if I was a good fit. I later took an online self assessment test to see if I would be good for the role of an FSR.

I later met with an agency director at an office of MetLife where we talked about my background in finance and the questions asked were behavioral and not too difficult. This interview was about an hour long.

I then was called back for a third interview with a different Agency Director and traveled to a different MetLife Office and he did most of the talking basically selling me on the position. I later received a contingent offer pending a background check, credit score, criminal history and "other conditions." I passed all the background checks they did on me. I scheduled a 4th interview to what I thought was to finalize the contract and get things rolling. The morning of what was supposed to be my interview just 3 hours prior I received a voicemail from that first recruiter saying that my interview for later that afternoon would have to be cancelled with no reason given and that if I had any comments or questions to call them.

I immediately call to find out why my interview was cancelled with no response. I leave a voicemail and never given a return call. This was Friday, Saturday Sunday and Monday all go by without any contact. Tuesday I get an email saying "I am no longer being considered for the position and they found better candidates with more chance of success in the role of an FSR. So I didn't meet those "other conditions" and didn't pass their pre-employment tests. Once I received this email I called the office thinking it was a mistake because I had a 4th interview scheduled and cancelled on for no reason. I got in touch with the recruiter that left me my voicemail and she couldn't give me a straight answer of why they rescinded my contigent offer. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. Applying was my first mistake.

Delmont, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at MetLife in January 2012.

Interview Details – I was pleasantly surprised that they contacted me so quickly (within just a few hours of me applying online). However, as a recent graduate with a degree in finance I felt deceived by the job title after it was explained to me. When it came down to it, the position is basically for an insurance salesman. Don't get me wrong, there are people that are great at doing this and enjoy it but this type of career is one of the few that I know I don't want to get involved in based on my personality and interests. After the one on one interview (which took about 20-30 minutes) they had me take a lengthy personality/interest/scenario test. This alone took upwards of an hour and a half to complete. All in all, if you're looking to become a salesman of some sort you may want to look into this job. However, if you're in the same boat as me and you're looking for a finance job, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• How many people do you know within a 50 miles radius?   View Answer
  • Use five words or phrases to describe yourself.   View Answer

Nashville, TN

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at MetLife in October 2011.

Interview Details – I posted my resume through the Career Center at the university I attend. I was given a call within 3 hours. I spoke to someone in HR and we scheduled a time to talk about the position via phone. After this interview, we scheduled a time where I could come into the office to meet with the Branch Manager. During the interview, the manager seemed very scatter-brained and forgot several times things that he had already gone over. He went over th "Project 200" and at that point I politely told him that this would not be a good fit and thanked him for his time.

Interview Question – How many contacts do you have on Facebook?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I have received offers and quite frankly did not want to work under the management in that office.

Houston, TX

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at MetLife in July 2011.

Interview Details – Met this employer at a local job/career fair. Spoke with the recruiting coordinator and left a resume. Was contacted by phone several days later to come to the facility on Gessner Road. MetLife has a web-based testing system that collects basic information about the applicant, performs a psychological assessment (to check the applicant's suitability for selling their services), and conducts a simulation of work-related situations (using a multiple-choice format).

My particular test, I went in, was seated in a cubicle with a laptop computer, and was left to complete everything. The workstation, though, was set to automatically install Windows updates and, at one point, rebooted itself and locked me out of the testing. Sounds like they're not as sharp on managing their technology as they could be.

After the test, I was thanked, and that was the last I heard from them. Other reviews on this site indicate that MetLife can take months to respond to an applicant that interests them.

Interview Questions

• No questions were asked directly to me; they were included in the workstation-based assessment.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at MetLife

Worked for MetLife? Contribute to the Community!

MetLife Videos

MetLife – Why Work for Us?

As one of the world’s largest and most successful life insurance and financial services companies, MetLife makes a difference in the lives of over 90 million customers around the world who count on us to help them… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MetLife Financial Services Representative interview questions and advice. All 27 interview reviews posted anonymously by MetLife employees and interview candidates.