MetLife

Updated Dec 21, 2014

2.7

Senior Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MetLife in July 2014.

I applied online and was contacted through email that they would like to set up a phone screening. Went through the phone screening and assessment and was scheduled for a 1:1 interview about a week later. The interview was filled with behavioral questions ie. tell about a time that you turned a bad situation into a good one. Interview only lasted about 15 minutes and I was told that I would receive information about the next steps in a few days. Two days later I received a call stating that they wanted to offer me the position.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time that you had to prepare for a stretch goal and what steps did you take to achieve it?   Answer Question
    The was no room for negotiation.

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The collected my resument in the career fair. I talked to a recruitor and she seemed to be interested in me at that time, asking me if it was ok to relocate.
    Then I had one phone interview. Very simple questions like " why do you want to be an actuary".
    On site interview included 3 one on one interviews. Two with senior acturies and one with a recruitor and actuary.

Interview Questions
    • VBA and excel skills
      What did you do in your last internship?
      Do you have any cultural shock coming to US? (I'm an international student)

Answer Question

Information Systems Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MetLife in July 2014.

Standard Phone Screen from HR followed by 45 minute phone interview with department supervisor. Then in-person interview with 3 people. Standard approach and questions. Each meeting was approximately 30-45 minutes long.

Associate Software Engineer Mainframe Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MetLife.

This was the worst interview experience I have ever had. I applied online and heard back that same day. I scheduled a phone interview with "HR" who turned out to be an outside recruiter.

I was then informed there would at least three more interviews: a technical interview and two behavioral interviews. Another person from HR sent me an email saying she had scheduled these for Friday the next week. On Wednesday she called me and asked me why I hadn't shown up for the interviews. Turns out she had actually scheduled them for Wednesday, but told me Friday.

They were rescheduled and I was interviewed on site by a developer, I think. After every question I asked him, he asked me if I was ready to leave. I had a technical interview over the phone with a panel of developers. They were the only people who seemed even remotely interested in knowing what I had to offer as a candidate. Another behavioral interview with someone from HR over the phone and finally, an interview with my would-be manager and the director of hiring. They asked me two questions. Two. In all, the process included five interviews spanning two months. Almost no one I spoke with seemed interested in interviewing me, let alone working with me. No one asked me for any kind of references or asked specifically about my work experience. All the questions were canned and came from printed up worksheets.

Overall the process was needlessly excessive and I got the impression that no one really wanted to get to know me or cared about my background. I wouldn't want to work for/with people like that.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you ignored what others thought and insisted on your on method for solving a problem.   View Answer

Sales Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MetLife.

There is a 4-step interview process. Once you submit your resume, if they like you, they will call you. There are two phone interviews, one on-campus interview, and a final interview at their main office. They cut people after each round. They start with over 2000 applicants and only hire 20.

Interview Questions
    • Not a question per say, but the third interview wasn't like a regular one. It was also like having a a social conversation, which was weird.   View Answer

Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at MetLife.

Very unorganized interview process. Interviewers talk about on the job drama and personal info. Very unprofessional and set the tone for a drama filled environment. Having said that everyone seemed they have been an employee for an extended period of time.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MetLife.

Initial communications took place via email to set up a phone screen about three to four weeks after I submitted my application. They ask the basic HR questions then they set you up with another phone screen, about a week or two later, that has more to do with the position. After that they set up a technical interview, about two weeks later, with two different people. One asked programming specific questions, the other asked data and analysis specific questions. Once those were complete, they told me it would be at least a week to two weeks before I heard anything.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected. All interview questions were in line with my expectations.   Answer Question

Senior Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MetLife in June 2014.

I applied online, had a phone interview, and was scheduled for a face-to-face interview a few days later. Unfortunately, I had to reschedule and didn't get interviewed until mid-June. When I had my 1:1 interview though, I was asked behavioral questions and was offered the job immediately after the interview. I thought the process was fairly easy. I have never gotten an offer on the spot before.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult/unexpected questions. They were all behavioral, so the examples I gave seemed easy for me to discuss.   Answer Question

I initially accepted the offer, but because I am relocating and they are not able to tell me what my schedule will be after the 10 week training, I just rejected their offer. I emailed the recruiter to explain my situation which included me relocating with a small child & being the only one available to pick him up from school each day, and she let me know that the hiring manager wasn't able to assist me. The schedule wouldn't be available until 2 weeks before the end of the training class and it was going to be between the hours of 8am - 11 pm...PERIOD!! They are not flexible or willing to work with you on schedules or pay, so that did not work for me. Luckily, I have several other offers on the table elsewhere. They just lost the best worker they would ever get!!!

Several Open Network Engineering Positions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MetLife in June 2014.

I applied online on Metlife's website and the process was straight forward and not too difficult. A couple of days later I was contacted for a phone interview with one of the recruiters which was also equally straight forward and was a basic phone screen. Several more days went by and an interview invitation at the Raleigh office was setup with the hiring manager, the AVP of Network Engineering.

On the date of the interview I arrived early, but after the security officer at the desk contacted the manager and it took the manager nearly 30 minutes to come down; the interview start nearly 20 minutes late. Throughout the entire interview, the hiring manager was actively disengaged, checking and replying to emails on his phone repeatedly while asking and then when I was answer questions. He even interrupted me mid-answer so that he could take a call. None of the questions were really in-depth or good enough to get a handle on the skills or abilities of the person in an interview. I was also informed that they had selected just over a hundred folks to interview for the fifty to sixty positions they had open.

Several days after the interview, I had a question about something in the process and contacted the recruiter I had been working with. While talking to her, I asked to see how things were going with the selection process and she informed me that the hiring manager had completed the in-person. reviews, but that no decision would be made for several weeks because he would be out of the office for the next four weeks on vacation.

I had other interviews elsewhere, so I put Metlife on the side until the manager came back, but in the meantime received an offer elsewhere. A couple weeks later, when the manager was suppose to come back, I received an email from my recruiter saying that he was back, but that it would be another two to four weeks before he would make decision since he had to catch up on the work he left behind. At that point, I informed her that I had accepted a position elsewhere. However, I continued to receive automated Metlife emails advertising the exact same jobs that myself and those one hundred or so folks back in June interviewed for nearly five months. In fact, I just checked the Metlife career website and several of those same positions are still listed as unfilled six months later.

Thanks for wasting all of our time.

Interview Questions
    • Not really difficult or unexpected, I was asked about the numerous projects I have worked on. He also asked the standard, boiler-plate questions out of the HR handbook like telling him about a difficult issue I had encountered.   Answer Question

Communications Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MetLife in June 2014.

Unlike a lot of companies, the interview process was very quick. I received an interview request a couple days after applying and met with the hiring manager the next week. The process did nit drag on needlessly, which is much appreciated. It simply was nit the right fit for me at the time.