Metier

www.metier.com

Metier Interview Questions

3.4

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Metier.

I got contacted by an HR representative after submitting my resume online to a job posting. The HR representative was nice and explained more about the company and the position I applied for (very general). Shortly after we set up an interview with a senior engineer who asked me questions about my resume and about myself and told me more about the company and position. After that I was set up for a Skype interview with an architect and senior software engineer. We used join.me to answer some technical questions. It was basically a setup to mimic the real life work environment and it was a pleasant experience. I was told I would hear 1-2 days later but I still have not heard back even after contacting the HR representative.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Metier in September 2010.

Interview process began with a phone call, which consisted of basic questions about qualifications and expectations, as well as a discussion about whether the job was a potential fit. The next step thereafter was a 45 minute Analytical Exercise. This entailed reading output from their WorkLenz software and answering questions about the conclusions that should be drawn from the various charts/graphs provided. Upon successful completion of this step, an on-site interview was scheduled.

The onsite interview starts with a writing sample, a request to write a paragraph about anything. Thereafter the recruiter comes and does a 1:1 interview. This is a very general interview, prompting the candidate to answer questions about their career goals, their school and work experiences, as well as situations in which they had overcome difficulties or challenges. Also, the recruiter asks some questions regarding fictional scenarios and asks what the candidate would do in such situations. Finally, she calls in the CFO, who conducts her own (shorter) 1:1 interview. They cover the same topics in broad strokes, but the interview dynamic is slower and more relaxed with the CFO.

Interview Questions
    • You were told to paint a room white, and you painted it black. Respond.   View Answer
    • You've been working on a customer project and have created a proposition that is perfect. You bring it to the table and the customer hates it. Respond.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Metier in June 2010.

When first contacted the interviewer tried to put me into a direct sales position. It wasn't until after I stated zero interest in a cold calling position did they proceed to the correct position.

For the second interview I was to review their software and offer feedback. I did so and at the end of the interview they had no further questions for me.

Overall the interviewer was unprofessional and rude. She asked that I call her anytime after 4pm and when I called at 4:10pm she seemed offended.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Metier in June 2010.

The initial interview process was very standard. As an out of state candidate I completed multiple phone interviews before being selected for the next level. There was also a test that was administered to asses my knowledge of the industry, their software, business skills, etc. The next level consisted of a couple skype interviews. From there I was asked to come out for a face to face interview. No travel assistance was offered, which was disappointing, however not completely unheard of. The office was small, clean, and efficient. Everyone was very professional. I got the impression the face to face interview was focused primarily on compatibility with their team.

Interview Questions
    • Please write a short essay about any subject of your choosing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Metier in June 2010.

I scheduled a phone interview with one of their recruiters. It seemed like a traditional phone interview exept when the recruiter called she was EXTREMELY unprofessional and rude. I was very unhappy in the manner the phone interview went and this was by far the most unpleasant phone interview that I have ever had. Furthermore, be prepared and know a great deal about what the job requires and many questions that will be related to this.

Marketing Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Metier in August 2012.

Received phone call at 7 a.m. after submitting my resume the night before. This was the first of two 7 a.m. phone calls during the recruiting process. Rude. Can you smell desperation/panic on the part of the over-stressed recruiter? I sure can!

I was interviewed by the recruiter, the next day I was interviewed by a manager, and then directly after scheduled for an in-person interview. Upon arrival, I was asked to produce a 10-minute "creative writing" paragraph. I was interviewed by three people and given a one-hour SEO test where I analyzed one website page and gave five recommendations for improvement plus identified keyword phrases.

I was called an hour after departing and told they would like to move forward and call my references. They called every single of my five references. My college transcripts were submitted, and the very next day I was given an offer.

Very suspicious was the fact that I for sure put $55,000 on the online application as my minimum salary requirements, but then received an email from the recruiter saying that the figure "came in a little funny -- it's $50,000, right?" After clarifying that, no, it was not right, I was assured $55K was acceptable. However, when given the offer I was told that actually the most they could do was $50K, which I refused. I was then offered $55K and given only 24 hours to decide (so as not to be able to weigh other offers).

Also irritating was the fact that before accepting the position I asked that I be guaranteed a decent computer setup consisting of four monitors (necessary for an analyst). Upon arrival, however, I was given only one small, old, dirty (really dirty!) laptop that barely worked. The thing crashed constantly and had all kinds of problems. They're too cheap to get a working one and instead let me deal with their remote IT department on the phone at least an hour per day for its various problems. I'm not exaggerating. An. Hour. Per. Day.

Pretty much none of the advertised perks exist. Work/life balance? Ha. Try 12-hour days on the regular, and being told to do work "on your own time" and on weekends. I was scheduled to work both Thanksgiving and Christmas. However, during the recruiting process I was told I would only work 8-5/no weekends. Not true. Also, they don't give out bonuses as advertised and no dogs are allowed in the building. Just so you know.

This place is not worth it. Run, I repeat, RUN away from this job.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult. I was asked typical interview questions plus a few silly questions like "describe yourself in three words".   Answer Question

Project Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Metier in April 2011.

The HR recruiter was very nice every time I spoke with her. Initially, I thought that the process would be pleasant, as she seemed friendly after two phone conversations. However, the people I would have actually worked under were rude and just nasty! One of the interviews was rushed, and the interviewer was ridiculously condescending. She was so unpleasant and unprofessional that I was seriously taken aback, and it became hard to concentrate. She cut me off towards the end before I could even ask my questions; evidently she was just too busy to bother speaking with peons like myself.
    Over the course of a month I went through about four phone/skype interviews, submitted two "tests," and these people just never called me back. Honestly, though, after that whole despicable ordeal I would never have accepted an offer anyway. Who wants to work for people like that?

Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Metier in November 2010.

The initial interview was by phone, three days after responding to the job posting. It was a pleasant, 40 minute conversation regarding relevant experience, career goals. The interviewer also asked questions relating to my knowledge of the company's product/services. The next step of the interview process was completing a writing assignment consisting of a job description after being given some basic content information. I was contacted the next day to set up an in-person interview. I also needed to provide university transcripts, another wiriting sample- either academic or professional, and again, the resume. To prepare for the interview, I heavily researched the company website, customers, to get a solid grasp of the company, products, and services.

Upon arrival at the in-person interview, I was pleasantly greeted in the reception area. The office itself was very quiet - no other employees were seen in fact. I was walked into a small conference room and given yet another writing assignment to be completed in 10 minutes- an open writing assignment about any topic. The interview consisted of basic questions such as to describe my favorite interview question, describe any difficult or strange interviews conducted in the past, what I do when a candidate declines an offer, etc, I was also given the opportunity to ask questions. Pleasant interviewer but didn't give me the impression of having a strong background in interviewing candidates.

Overall, I found the interview process is quite baffling and inconsistent. Especially since, during the in-person interview, there was such an emphasis on the recruiter role being very "metrics driven". For demanding such initial urgency and robust screening process, it is surprising that it took 2 weeks to receive any post-interview follow up spanning a total of over one month from initial contact to the first round of in-person interviews to be completed. A few days after receiving post-interview follow up, the job was reposted in a larger geographic area seeking a lower experience level.

I would hesitate to be in the recruiter role if this is an indication of the recruitment lifecycle which, for the candidate, breeds disinterest and confidence in a potential employer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult or strange interview you have conducted.   Answer Question
    • What do you do when a candidate declines an offer?   Answer Question

Interviewer Was Unprofessional and Rude Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Metier in July 2010.

Like the other person has indicated, the interviewer was rude, unprofessional and very inconsistent. I've never experienced anything quite like it before. From the first call, I knew this was going to be a strange process, but that was an understatement. Pretty much throw everything you know about the interview process out the door, and be prepared to face someone who knows absolutely nothing about basic respect.

Software Engineer Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Metier in May 2010.

Applied through my college's career website. I was prompty contacted by a recruiter, who talked about the company and position and asked about what I was looking for and my experience. I then went into their office for an interview. This was a new office, so none of the engineering staff was present. The first part of the interview was a writing sample, where I just had to write about any topic of my choice. The next was the technical interview, which was led by an engineering manager from their main office through Skype. Everyone was very friendly, and the company seemed like a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    • Some sample code was provided and I was to find any bugs.   Answer Question