Metrolinx Interview Questions

Updated May 25, 2015

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Metrolinx (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Called from one recruiter, who forwarded me to another, and then another. In depth phone interview where they asked a series of technical questions. They seemed more interested in someone's ability to regurgitate information than experience and actual real world ability to finish tasks. Got an interview with 2 interviewers, and brought into a room. A lot of situational and technology related questions, one interviewer was on his phone the entire time and they both seemed like they didn't want to be there and was generally un-interested. I found them to be quite unfriendly, generally the interview was very uncomfortable and felt like a stringent test of my ability to regurgitate information versus my actual work experience and development ability.

Interview Questions

• Describe how certain technical systems work, technical concepts, etc.   Answer Question

Strategic Planning Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Metrolinx.

Interview

Applied online. Got a call from HR who asked a set of basic questions. Then they called back to invite me for a panel interview. At the interview, while I was waiting, I was given a piece of paper with all their benefits etc. Once the interview started, they asked mostly behavioural questions and situational questions (How would you...., what would you do if..").

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to convince others to your viewpoint.   Answer Question

Testing Coordinator - Presto Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Metrolinx (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online, got called by one of their HR assistants 2 months later and asked to come in for an interview, no phone screening process. Interview panel was 2 managers and a recruiter, very friendly and nice, basic questions, nothing too hard if you have experience to back you up. I would say this was one of the easiest interviews I've had so far, probably due to the fact that the job requirements and my experience were very close. Loved the fact that there was only one interview, no 2nd or 3rd interview nonsense and time wasted. Interviewers made me feel at ease even though I was nervous. Before the interview, you are given a sheet of paper with a summary of the benefits they offer if you get hired which was nice, helps to make an informed decision if you get an offer. Got called by the recruiter the next morning with an offer. They offered mid range salary and said they can not go to the higher range even though my current salary was in the higher range. Because of the benefits and pension, it made sense for me so I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• how do you demonstrate one of the 3 main pillars of Metrolinx: play as a team, serve with passion, think forward?   1 Answer
    • what is the difference between quality assurance and quality control?   Answer Question
    • what is a regression test suite?   Answer Question
    • is the posted salary range for this position ok for you?   1 Answer

, Strategic Business Planning and Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Metrolinx (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

A single in-person interview, consisting of behavioural based questions requiring you describe how you handle given scenarios, while making reference to past cases. Questions were challenging but not too difficult. A group panel would record and grade your answers on a form. Eye contact and smiling seemed to work.

Co-Op Interview

Interview

Interviewed on campus for co-op, 30 min interview with the lead developer, The interview was mostly technical, with one behavioural question. Got offer within the time specified for the co-op, followed up by HR for reference.

Interview Questions

• Easy technical coding questions such as factorials and reverse items in an array   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

interviewed at Metrolinx (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in July 2014.

Interview

Long and drawn out process from when you fill out the online application to getting the call to come for an interview was quite long. It was a panel interview with recruiter and hiring manager present. I found the interview very formal and a bit stuffy which created a very anxious environment.

Interview Questions

• It wasn't that it was unexpected. It was the questions were segmented by technical and behavioural questions. However, I didn't consider the questions asked to be technical from a project management perspective...   Answer Question

Summer Student Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Metrolinx.

Interview

Essentially was mainly one phone interview. Lasted about 15 minutes and was pretty standard. General questions about past experience, interest in the company, and next steps moving forward. Pretty straight forward and easy to get through. Generally afterwards, discuss terms of the contract and acceptance of offer. Getting called is really the hardest part in this case.

Interview Questions

• No particular difficult question, just inquiry into past experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Metrolinx in March 2014.

Interview

Applied online by submitting resume only and got a call 2.5 months later for interview. Panel interview consists of 2 managers and recruiter. The interviewers were very nice and courteous; However, the construction along front street and York was very disruptive during the interview. Could hardly hear the interviewers's questions; that could have impacted the outcome.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions are fairly easy if you are prepared and can easily relate your experience to the answer. However, one thing I had a problem was that because of the construction outside.. it was very difficult to listen to the interview reading one of the test questions (this should have been a written test) and that she has a strong accent made it even more difficult to understand what she is saying. I had to ask the interviewer to repeat reading "her paragraphs". Questions asked: What would you do if I give you a software patch? Describe how you handle a difficult challenge or project? Describe a time where you are able demonstrate systematic thinking? What's your salary expectation? I mentioned my figure; I think they didn't like that.. although the job desc specifies the salary range.. Better answer could have been my salary exp is within the salary range... or I am expecting mid - $$ ( whichever is the midpoint of the salary range posted). When can you start? (always say 'anytime' or 'asap').   Answer Question

Network Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Port Union, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Metrolinx (Port Union, ON (Canada)) in February 2014.

Interview

Technical Test, Panel Interview

Interview Questions

• Why you want to work for company, how to you troubleshoot an issue with a non-technical user, what have you done to be innovative   Answer Question

Network Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Metrolinx.

Interview

Technical Support Test