Metropolitan Museum of Art

Updated Aug 12, 2014

2.6

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art in July 2014.

I applied through an online ad and got a call to interview about 2 weeks later. I interviewed with the head of HR as well as the two heads of the department. I was actually quite nervous but everyone I met was very nice and understanding. The interview was not very difficult, they really just want you to be genuine and honest. I still have not heard back about the position after about a week and a half.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any difficult or curve ball questions. They asked "if we were to call your references what would they have to say about you?'   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art in May 2014.

All the information on their website explains the application process which was thorough but easy enough for a competitive place like the MET. I applied for the Cloisters, which was a little separate than the other intern opportunities. I had my interview a month or so after which was the intimidating part.

Interview Questions
    • They ran through my transcript and looked at classes from my freshman year and asked me specific art history questions, ex. 'tell me what you remember about the architecture of _ church and what time period it is emblematic of." I had reviewed a lot about gothic and romanesque architecture but she asked me specific questions from so long ago that I stumbled a few times. Two interviewers, makes you are prepared to be tested on the architecture and such there.   Answer Question

Publications Intern In Education Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art.

I first spoke briefly with the intern coordinator, who talked a little bit about the training program, and then I met with the three people who would be my supervisors. The questions they asked were pretty standard—they were very familiar with my resume and just wanted to talk a little bit more about my experience and skills—and then they had me take an editing test.

Interview Questions
    • How would your co-workers describe you? It was tricky only because it seemed like they were looking for a very specific answer to a very vague question.   Answer Question

Six Month Internship Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art.

The application is all online and you choose which departments to apply to. The departments pre-select a small amount of interns to be interviewed by the Education Department, which oversees the internship program. They ask you to present an artwork as if you are giving a tour in the museum. The interview takes about 30 minutes. Mine was over the phone and I was very nervous, and ultimately was not offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • What issues in museum studies are you interested in learning more about during the MuSE Museum Seminars?   Answer Question

Assistant Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Two steps -- one round through HR and a second with department head. Took about 6 weeks total!

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were very predictable, standard HR questions but I was asked very specifically about job duties.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art in January 2014.

Must interview and apply months in advance, there are paid and unpaid interns, and a very few select positions in various departments. Best thing is to find the specific area of interest to you and prepare towards that.

Administrator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art.

3 Interviews in all. First one was with HR, second was with the people I would be reporting to (3) and the third was with high position individual and other administrators. Most seemed very friendly and passionate about their work.

Interview Questions
    • What project did you work on where you had to get people involved who weren't excited about the project   Answer Question

Visitor Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art.

This is a part time position I found and applied for off of NYFA. I was contacted a few weeks after submitting my résumé. I interviewed with one person, it was relatively easy as far as interviews go, and I was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    I was offered the job on the spot and accepted a day later.

Benefits Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art.

The hiring process took over 2 months with 4 days of interviews and 3 people per each interview day.

Interview Questions
    • The questions from the direct supervisor were logical but the other interview questions made no sense.   Answer Question

Summer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art in March 2013.

A million people apply, obviously (actually it's approx 1000 or a bit more, but for 40 spots), so it takes them about 2 months to read all the apps and decide who to interview. Then in early March they ask semi-finalists to come in for interviews or do them over Skype. The interview itself was pretty relaxed and everyone was really nice/welcoming, although by the time I interviewed it seemed like she had seen so many people that she was a bit burnt out on interviewing people. However, she warmed up during the discussion and it felt like a nice conversation, not a terrifying interview really.

Interview Questions
    • They make you present an object as if you're giving a tour. It's weird because you're just giving it to one person and have no thematic context; also they say to make sure you only take 2 minutes, so I rushed and trimmed stuff out to make it 2 minutes but she had tons of extra questions and we ended up talking about the work I chose for like 8 min.   Answer Question