Metropolitan Museum of Art Interview Questions

Updated Jan 29, 2015

2.7

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Interview

I applied online and got called in for an interview around 2 weeks later.

Being The Met I was incredibly nervous but from start to end my interview was really simple if not one sided.

For starters, the interviewer spent the whole majority of the time talking non stop about the museum and position, and all I had to do was listen.

When she did ask me questions it really just came down to why I was interested in the position, what interested me about that specific job, and some simple questions on my work experience.

In the end the interview was one of the longest ever, lasting over an hour. She even went around introducing me to all the staff members of the department and going into more detail. Anyone including myself would have thought she was gonna hire me on the spot.

But she didnt.

Also despite being the grand museum it is. The Met only hires 2 interns per department just to help you understand how ridiculously hard it is to get in to begin with.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in position?   1 Answer

Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art in November 2014.

Interview

I applied in late October online. I got an email for an interview first week of November. Given its prestigious reputation and my dream work environment, I was extremely nervous. I met with the head of HR, who was very sweet and made the interview enjoyable. I next met with one of the higher ups. She was terrifying, she did most of the talking. Despite the job description, she told me I'd be doing only one of the duties listed there. I got the sense she wasn't too into me or anything I had to say. I was out of her office in about 10 minutes. I left the MET feeling shellshocked and knew I wasn't going to get any sort of answer from them.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. Standard tell me about yourself, why are you looking to leave your current job, why the MET, etc...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied through an online ad and got a call to interview about 2 weeks later. I interviewed with the head of HR as well as the two heads of the department. I was actually quite nervous but everyone I met was very nice and understanding. The interview was not very difficult, they really just want you to be genuine and honest. I still have not heard back about the position after about a week and a half.

Interview Questions

• There weren't really any difficult or curve ball questions. They asked "if we were to call your references what would they have to say about you?'   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art in May 2014.

Interview

All the information on their website explains the application process which was thorough but easy enough for a competitive place like the MET. I applied for the Cloisters, which was a little separate than the other intern opportunities. I had my interview a month or so after which was the intimidating part.

Interview Questions

• They ran through my transcript and looked at classes from my freshman year and asked me specific art history questions, ex. 'tell me what you remember about the architecture of _ church and what time period it is emblematic of." I had reviewed a lot about gothic and romanesque architecture but she asked me specific questions from so long ago that I stumbled a few times. Two interviewers, makes you are prepared to be tested on the architecture and such there.   Answer Question

Publications Intern In Education Department Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, NY).

Interview

I first spoke briefly with the intern coordinator, who talked a little bit about the training program, and then I met with the three people who would be my supervisors. The questions they asked were pretty standard—they were very familiar with my resume and just wanted to talk a little bit more about my experience and skills—and then they had me take an editing test.

Interview Questions

• How would your co-workers describe you? It was tricky only because it seemed like they were looking for a very specific answer to a very vague question.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Interview

The application is all online and you choose which departments to apply to. The departments pre-select a small amount of interns to be interviewed by the Education Department, which oversees the internship program. They ask you to present an artwork as if you are giving a tour in the museum. The interview takes about 30 minutes. Mine was over the phone and I was very nervous, and ultimately was not offered a position.

Interview Questions

• What issues in museum studies are you interested in learning more about during the MuSE Museum Seminars?   Answer Question

Assistant Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, NY).

Interview

Two steps -- one round through HR and a second with department head. Took about 6 weeks total!

Interview Questions

• Most questions were very predictable, standard HR questions but I was asked very specifically about job duties.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art in January 2014.

Interview

Must interview and apply months in advance, there are paid and unpaid interns, and a very few select positions in various departments. Best thing is to find the specific area of interest to you and prepare towards that.

Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Interview

3 Interviews in all. First one was with HR, second was with the people I would be reporting to (3) and the third was with high position individual and other administrators. Most seemed very friendly and passionate about their work.

Interview Questions

• What project did you work on where you had to get people involved who weren't excited about the project   Answer Question

Visitor Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Interview

This is a part time position I found and applied for off of NYFA. I was contacted a few weeks after submitting my résumé. I interviewed with one person, it was relatively easy as far as interviews go, and I was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was offered the job on the spot and accepted a day later.