Michael C. Fina

8 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Resources Director Interview

Human Resources Director

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Michael C. Fina.

Interview Details – Internally climbed the corporate later to my currect position. I have been with the company for many years so my initial interview was not related to my current job and role in the company

Interview Question – What can you contribute and bring to the company. As much as its such a standard question, I always try my best to come up with a unique great answer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – very easy and quick

Project Management - Manager Interview

Project Management - Manager
Long Island City, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Michael C. Fina in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by phone from their HR job recruiter. I went to their LIC locations for a 1 on 1 where I spoke to their recruiter. I was then made to fill out paperwork with information that was already on my resume. I also was asked to take an IQ test. After this, I sat down with the recruiter for information on the position. The HR woman was very pleasant, but was not technical and had a hard time explaining exactly what the position entailed. Luckily, my would-be manager came in after about 30 minutes and gave a more detailed rendering of the job.

I was contacted about a week afterwards and was asked to come in for a second interview. This time, I met with the manager from before and the VP of Customer Experience. Both were very nice, but I had to go through the office space, which was a bit daunting due to the crowding and general uncleanliness of the space. After the meeting, I was asked to take an online personality test, then submit to a background/drug check through Sterling. I did so and, after about 2 weeks, was given an offer.

The recruiting process was the most enjoyable part of working at Michael C. Fina. Everything went downhill from there.

Interview Question – None. The interview was mostly questions about my resume and talking about the position. If I had to pick one, it would be "what are you most proud of when it comes to your work careers".   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was very little wiggle room, since vacation days are set (2 weeks, starting after your first year) and benefits aren't even explained until 3 months in. Salary is low with promises of raises that do not materialize.

Program Manager Interview Interview

Program Manager Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Michael C. Fina.

Interview Details – I applied and was called in for a Project Manager role. Despite not getting the role, I have to say the interview process was VERY interesting in a GOOD way. It was like no other interview experience I've ever had. The recruiter was on point and very knowledgeable about the company and answered all my questions. Even though this is something all recruiters should do she actually made me feel comfortable and added some humor to our conversation which is an added plus on any interview. Now the interview with the manager was where it got very interesting. They asked me to role play the position of a PM by giving me a scenario where I had to partner with other managers who played their own role. It was absolutely great! It gave me a really good perspective of what is expected from a PM and the challenges they would face. I wish more companies conducted interviews like this or at least make it more creative and less of the question and answer experience.

I applied for this position months ago and only now decided to write a review. I think shedding light on how this company conducts its interview process (at least for the position I applied for) would let individuals know that there are still some innovated companies out there who want to make the interview process effective and most importantly a memorable one.

Interview Question – No really difficult questions asked as I was prepared to answer any/all questions. The role playing experience was what was different and fun!   Answer Question

Finance Position At Michael C Fina Interview

Finance Position At Michael C Fina

I applied online and interviewed at Michael C. Fina.

Interview Details – I interviewed for a position in Finance a while back and prior to interviewing I did read these reviews. Though they were discouraging I needed to see for myself what this company had to offer. I have to say, the reviews were all very accurate with the exception of the recruitment process. It must have changed a bit as it didn't take 2 1/2 hours long. It was still lengthy but not that lengthy. I did have to take a test called the Wonder-something which didn't even validate my skills or knowledge in the Finance field. So in essence that test was a waste of time. I was offered an explanation of the company, the industry and an overview of the position by the recruiter. She was actually very lively and made the interview process interesting and actually fun. Aside from that the manager who interviewed me really didn't offer a good picture of the position and what the expectations were from the person they wanted to fill the role. Oh and the salary they were offering was laughable! The only good thing about the interview was learning about the industry since the company site couldn't even manage to offer that!

Interview Question – Difficult question asked was, "what do I intend to do with my Masters Degree?" Huh!?!?!   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Long Island City, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Michael C. Fina in March 2012.

Interview Details – After reading some of the NEGATIVE reviews on Glassdoor about this company, I was a bit concerned, but I still went in for the interview. What a MISTAKE. Complete WASTE of time! The interview lasted 2 1/2 hours! 30mins to complete an application and Wonderlic exam. First with the HR manager who was nice, but was new to the field of HR, then I met with HR and VP of team. Wow, another two clueless HR folks. After jibber-jabbing with them for 2 hours, I taught it was a done deal-i had the job. After two days, I sent a thank you letter. It's been two weeks later and still no response from them. Talk about unprofessionalism, not even common courtesy to let the candidate know they are still looking. I have been in HR for 10 years now , and I always reply to thank you letters of candidates with complete honesty. Well, the story here is, that I found a better opportunity... Harry Winston! This company is a great one! Michael C. Fina is NOT a good company to work for. Look at their ratings and reviews on here, if I would have listened to them, I would have saved myself time wasted!

Very, very, very unprofessional. I feel sorry for those who work here.

Interview Question – none, they were simple standard, "tell me about yourself" questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Long Island City, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Michael C. Fina in June 2011.

Interview Details – After I applied online, I soon heard from the company HR department for an interview. When I got there, the HR assistant took me in and told me to fill out a form which asks for my past experience, basic biographical information, and why the company should hire me. Then after that, I was given a 12 minute quick intelligence test composed of basic verbal and math questions such as "observing this patter, which number comes next?" or "which word does not belong?". The test is administered in a way that people are not expected to finish. After that is a brief chat with the interviewer talking about experiences listed on resume, what the company does. I don't remember if other questions were asked. After speaking with him, I was then brought to interview with my potential supervisor. As the interviewer was touring me around, he mentioned that the interns get paid a stipend for $150/week and is to work from 8am-5pm. Oh yea, a background check is also conducted.

Interview Question – Not one of the most difficult questions, but I was asked "Why should we hire you?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – When the interviewer informed me that I am accepted, he was expecting me to take the offer on the spot. I asked him another day for consideration.

A Technical Support Position Interview

A Technical Support Position
Long Island City, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Michael C. Fina in March 2009.

Interview Details – Summary: This company has all the signs of bad management, and work-more-pay-less strategy (aka slave the employee).

Full: First phase was an initial phone screening. The second phase was a 1:1 onsite interview. The 1:1 onsite interview was bit of a joke because they gave me enough paperwork that took about 35 minutes to complete, including IQ test, requirement of a full page on "why i wanted to work there", requirement to re-write all the information that is already on my resume. The kicker is I was interviewing for a very technical role, and the interviewer, a woman, was as NON-technical as they come, and instead of being engaging, she just nodded and took notes. That was killing me. Folks, the worst interview you will ever go on are the ones where people just nod and take notes, instead of engaging with request for clarification, more information, or to challenge your response. In any event, after not hearing back from this company 3 days after the interview and then stumpling upon this website's reviews, everything made sense, and I sent an email stating that I wanted to withdraw my candidacy.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Accounting Assistant Interview

Accounting Assistant
Long Island City, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Michael C. Fina in June 2009.

Interview Details – The initial interview took place by phone and then I was called in to interview the same HR individual in person. After completing the interview with the HR recruiter, I had to take a 20-min test which was basically an IQ/Intelligence test. I was then taken to interview with the Controller and Accounts receivable supervisor. My final interview was with the CFO.

It's a laid back work environment, but the office setting (temperature and equipment) is poor.

Your best is never good enough, they want more.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Michael C. Fina? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michael C. Fina interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Michael C. Fina employees and interview candidates.