Michael Page International

Getting the Interview

46 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Michael Page International in July 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted a resume for a job in finance then was asked to interview for Michael Page. Did not feel that they were very transparent in telling me everything about the role and company.

Interview Question – The job was really a sales job (commission-based). During the interview I was asked to do some very extensive sales role play. I felt this was rather obnixious at a certain point - sales role play can be insightful, but really should only be an exercise.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Michael Page International.

Interview Details – The interview process is not for the faint of heart. Was contacted by someone from LinkedIn and I inquired. We had an initial 20 minute phone call and was set up with an interview that next week. The initial interview lasted about 3 hours where I met with 5 people: director, manager and a few of the junior and senior staff of the team. I then was given a caliper test which took about 30 minutes.

From there, I was asked to come back the following week and was to prepare a presentation. I was there for another 3 hours or so and met with the regional director. I was extended an offer that day.

Interview Question – Very general sales-like questions. Nothing that was act through me too off. They really want to see if you are going to be a good culture fit and generally fit in with the team.

What motivates you?
How were you raised?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They want to know who you are interviewing with so be prepared to tell them.

Recruitment Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michael Page International.

Interview Details – Went through three rounds of interviews before receiving an offer. First round was with the MD of the office, second entailed meeting with most members of the team, and final interview was with the MD of North America. Straight forward, standard interview questions, with a big focus on resilience. Second interview also included a mock sales pitch to both MD's at the office.

Interview Question – Sales pitch.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Michael Page International in December 2013.

Interview Details – I initially applied online & heard back fairly quickly (a day later I think) by email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty relaxed..basic questions about my experience/education followed by a lot of talk about what the position would entail. I was invited for an in person interview the following week. My interviewer told me that I need to make sure I come prepared with answers to what they may ask me including stock price, how many countries MP is in, as well as make sure I can do sales role plays. He also said my resume was going to be torn apart so I should have an example for each point.The in-person interview was horrible. At first I thought I was doing okay, answering basic questions until the role plays. If you are not prepared (and I thought I was) you will be criticized as to what you're saying wrong. This went on for about an hour. I was invited to come back in for a second interview the next week and was told I was going to be tested on how much I've improved from the first round. Second interview came and it was even worse than the first. I think it's pretty unprofessional to constantly criticize someone who you're interviewing with and MP didn't fail to do that. I was ready to walk out at one point. I met with my initial interviewer and another person during the second round. When it was over I was told there would be a decision that night and I would be informed the same day. Heard nothing back until two days later telling me I was probably not a right fit for Michael Page and the standards they adhere to. A blessing in disguise I'd say since the vibe I got was horrible.

Interview Question – Role plays, role plays, role plays. BE PREPARED!   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michael Page International in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied to this job through linkedin.

This interview process was very intense to say the least, if you are not a good interviewer DO NOT apply! Also, make sure you find out as much as you can about this industry before you try entering it, it is NOT for the faint hearted, shy or lazy.

I was contacted by an internal recruiter out of NY & was asked basic over-the-phone questions about myself & experience & then was sent a pamphlet about the company & was asked to look over it. Had another phone interview a few days later that delved a little deeper into my professional experience & why I wanted to get into recruitment, then was scheduled for a face-to-face at my local office.

Next interview was with the manager of the team that if I was offered the position, I would be working under. This manager was great! Warm, energetic & made the tough interview actually enjoyable. This interview was a "typical" interview for the type of role & company that MP is. Was about my experience, the traits that make me a fit for sales & then other questions pertaining to the job. I also did 2 role-play exercises. Though tough, I knew I did great (the manager told me I did) & after I had to take a personality test.

I won't give away what they want from you but I will say this, if you fail the personality test you will NOT move on. I'm sure you'd like to know how to pass but honestly, looking back on it now, if you fail the test by answering HONESTLY you do NOT need to be working for MP in the first place. I don't say that to be rude but MP is looking for a specific type of person & sometimes you aren't what they want. I passed the test. After the test I also met with another manager of another team (just a check & balances type thing I think) & it went well, even though this person seemed totally bored & was obviously more concerned with getting to their next meeting.

I then came in for the final interview with the Director of my local office. From what I had heard from the manager that liked me (they were really rooting for me) this person was supposed to be down to earth & easy to talk to, THEY WERE NOT. Honestly, I've dealt with a lot of higher up business executives that are not exactly "nice" but hey, it comes with this industry, but I can say that in my gut I could tell that this person did NOT like me. I learned more about the company from this interview than from any other information I had received. Which makes sense since this person was running that office.

This interview was basic interview questions & then I had to do two role-play exercises. The first was recruitment specific (I didn't do well on this one) & was a little strange to me since I had NO recruitment experience at all, which they knew. The second was a sales role-play, this is where you need to show you personality & show that you can sell air to a blind man. I thought I did really well on this part. After all this, this is where the interview took a turn for the inappropriate (in my opinion), this person was pretty much telling me that they didn't want to rush this, & that he had followed his gut before & it bit him in the a** (at this point I could tell something was up), he then started making sure I knew what I was getting myself into, even though at this point I had on about 5 occasions made it very clear I understood to the best of my knowledge that I knew what I was applying for. He then started to make sure I understood that at Michael Page everyone is the same, & that you have to fit in or you can't work there, they did this by asking me if I was "trainable" & after giving a very competent answer made it clear that by "trainable" everyone at MP is pretty much a clone, he brought up the way that they dress & then his eyes drifted toward my outfit, I obviously thought this was weird since I was wearing a black 3 piece suit. I had already been told by the previous manager (the bored & uninterested one) that everyone one at MP looks the same, dresses the same, acts the same, talks the same but at this point I could tell that this MP office was more of a fraternity/sorority stereotype. I also asked this person if there was something about that he was concerned about or if head any unanswered questions about me & they paused, said "that's a good questions", pause, "well you didn't do so well on the first exercise...", pause, "well on that note lets do this..." I then was asked to go home & think about everything & make sure this is what I wanted & that we would call me on Wednesday (2 days later) to speak with me.

I went home sent my thank you emails the next morning, got a call that evening (From my recruiter NOT the director) that I didn't get moved on. My explanation? they wanted someone with more experience, even though they were recruiting entry-level & recent college graduates & I had already had a year of corporate sales experience.

Interview Question – Sell me something...   View Answer

Recruitment Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michael Page International.

Interview Details – I was contacted after applying online by the manager the position reported to for an initial phone screening. Then I was set up for a Skype interview with the Director and a Sr. Director both from different cities. After that the manager called me back to ask me to come in for an in-person interview. The interview lasted almost 3 hours and they took me to lunch mid interview.

Interview Question – Because the position involves recruitment and business development there were a lot of questions focused on both. Mostly business development though because they want you to generate enough revenue to pay your salary + earn a profit. I didn't think the questions were hard. They seemed to be looking more for personality matches and past successes.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The positions are salaried and bonuses are discretionary. It's not like working on a draw for commissions.

Very Easy Interview

Phila, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Michael Page International in November 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty basic, I had 1 phone interview and 3 in-person interviews as well which went really well. I did not get offered the job after going above and beyond to show the managers how much I wanted the job, but at the end of the day I was lied to which was not right at all.

Interview Question – What motivates you?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Michael Page International in July 2013.

Interview Details – Will ask you to come to their office multiple times (3+), very protracted process. Interviews are meaningless: ask you about your background and that is it. The director doesn't care about what you have done or will do, she wants to find out how she can mold you. Don't go in expecting to make a difference... You are just filling a position on a piece paper.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Company is a joke. Hours are 7:30am - 8:00pm for 42k... Are you serious??? I understand the recruitment industry is time consuming and difficult but requiring over 12hrs of office time is crazy.... Took a different recruitment position offering more money and less required office hours. LOOK ELSEWHERE IF YOU WANT A LIFE!

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Michael Page International in May 2011.

Interview Details – Pretty strait forward meeting with 3 different people. I came in about twice.

Interview Question – As a Michael Page employee what are we here for?   View Answers (2)

Recruitment Consultant Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Michael Page International.

Interview Details – Was asked to sell another applicant after interviewing

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Michael Page International

Worked for Michael Page International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michael Page International Recruitment Consultant interview questions and advice. All 46 interview reviews posted anonymously by Michael Page International employees and interview candidates.