Michaels Stores

4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Anchorage, AK

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in November 2009.

Interview Details – Had a 30 minute phone interview with a recruiter, did an online skills and knowledge assessment, then a "1/2 hour" interview with DM that lasted 1-1/2 hours, then a "1 hour" store tour that turned into 3 hours. All was really positive and informative. I really expected an offer. You could have knocked me over with a feather when the recruiter told me they chose someone else!

Interview Question – All the usual questions, nothing out of the ordinary. More of a conversation than question & answer.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in April 2011.

Interview Details – I received a phone call from an HR person who viewed my resume on Monster.ca. She asked to set up a time for a formal conversation, which we had a few days later. This consisted of a general Q&A of my resume, and a basic "why and how" question period. At the conclusion of this, I was set up via email with a phone interview with the head of HR - this took place four days later. Again, a very basic psychological interview - what would do if, how did you handle that. I received a phone call about a week later to set up an interview in-store with the DM and a training SM. The DM was great, very personable and confidence-inspiring, but the SM was intimidating and the questions seemed negative. I received mixed messages - the DM led me to believe that I would be happy in the company, that Michaels was great to work for, and there were opportunities, as well as a great work-life balance. The SM focused on last-minute emails and my integrity.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when your integrity was questioned.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The salary was less than I was currently getting, and I needed an extension of my start date because of me current job. I got a one week extension (I had asked for two), but the salary was non-negotiable.

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Michaels Stores in May 2011.

Interview Details – I started this process 4 months ago. The company or at least this DM does not seem to be very organized. My interviews all went very well, but If I am offered this position I will think very very hard about it. The actual interview was fine, but it was odd, Ill just leave it at that.

Interview Question – Tell me how you've handled a negative situation   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in January 2011.

Interview Details – I applied through Monster.com and a wonderful recruiter for this region called me. She was extremely nice and to the point about what the interview process was. I went through the initial screening and was set up with a phone interview with the recruiter, which took about an hour. It went well, and she called again and set up a date and time for an interview with the District Manager at the store here in town.
When I got to the store, I asked for the Store Manger, as instructed and a rude cashier who didn't offer even a smile or name in greeting looked me over and paged the manager to the front. There were boxes all over the front of the store with product in shopping carts.... very chaotic.
The store manager came to the front and informed me that the District Manager was running late due to weather circumstances, but that we would talk for a few minutes. We went through some light questions/overview for about 30 minutes before the District Manager called and said she wouldn't be making it to the store for the interview and instructed the Store Manager to let me go and they would call and reschedule the interview later. (During the interview, I was told that the store 'was behind,' and the work load was about 55 hours a week, and that there were rules we follow and rules we don't....What does that mean?)
I never received a reschedule phone call (I waited a week,) so I called the recruiter to follow up. I left a message in the morning, and she called me back by about lunch the same day asking how the interview with the District Manager went. I informed her that there hadn't been an interview with the District Manager as they couldn't make it into town, and that there had been zero communication from anyone at that level. The recruiter asked how the discussion with the Store Manager went and I told her I thought it went well, but didn't really seem to be any sort of real interview.
The recruiter thanked me and said that she would follow up on the situation. She called back about a week later to tell me that they had decided to go another direction.
I enjoyed the recruiter and the interview with her. She asked straight forward questions that would be indicative of my future work ethics and behavior. I did not enjoy my time being wasted by a Store Manager who wanted to sit and chit chat for an hour about what she does all day in the store that is apparently behind on everything, or the District Manager who couldn't seem to drive in a little winter weather, OR make the time to call an applicant who had taken time out of their schedule to come to an interview that didn't happen. She hadn't even left her house yet when she called to say she may not make it, and her house was 2 hours away from the interview site. Talk about poor planning and a complete disregard for others' time and effort. I'm kind of glad that this was my interview process, because after what I saw, I'm pretty sure that it's rather revealing as far as the respect, dignity and treatment of their associates goes as a company... or at least a district.

Interview Question – We demand a lot from our managers' time. Explain how and why you organize your time in your current position.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Michaels Stores

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michaels Stores Assistant Manager interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Michaels Stores employees and interview candidates.