Michaels Stores

Updated Sep 19, 2014

2.6

Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores in November 2009.

Had a 30 minute phone interview with a recruiter, did an online skills and knowledge assessment, then a "1/2 hour" interview with DM that lasted 1-1/2 hours, then a "1 hour" store tour that turned into 3 hours. All was really positive and informative. I really expected an offer. You could have knocked me over with a feather when the recruiter told me they chose someone else!

Interview Questions
  • All the usual questions, nothing out of the ordinary. More of a conversation than question & answer.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Michaels Stores

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Michaels Stores in May 2011.

I started this process 4 months ago. The company or at least this DM does not seem to be very organized. My interviews all went very well, but If I am offered this position I will think very very hard about it. The actual interview was fine, but it was odd, Ill just leave it at that.

Assistant Manager Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores in April 2011.

I received a phone call from an HR person who viewed my resume on Monster.ca. She asked to set up a time for a formal conversation, which we had a few days later. This consisted of a general Q&A of my resume, and a basic "why and how" question period. At the conclusion of this, I was set up via email with a phone interview with the head of HR - this took place four days later. Again, a very basic psychological interview - what would do if, how did you handle that. I received a phone call about a week later to set up an interview in-store with the DM and a training SM. The DM was great, very personable and confidence-inspiring, but the SM was intimidating and the questions seemed negative. I received mixed messages - the DM led me to believe that I would be happy in the company, that Michaels was great to work for, and there were opportunities, as well as a great work-life balance. The SM focused on last-minute emails and my integrity.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when your integrity was questioned.   View Answer
    The salary was less than I was currently getting, and I needed an extension of my start date because of me current job. I got a one week extension (I had asked for two), but the salary was non-negotiable.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores in January 2011.

I applied through Monster.com and a wonderful recruiter for this region called me. She was extremely nice and to the point about what the interview process was. I went through the initial screening and was set up with a phone interview with the recruiter, which took about an hour. It went well, and she called again and set up a date and time for an interview with the District Manager at the store here in town.
    When I got to the store, I asked for the Store Manger, as instructed and a rude cashier who didn't offer even a smile or name in greeting looked me over and paged the manager to the front. There were boxes all over the front of the store with product in shopping carts.... very chaotic.
    The store manager came to the front and informed me that the District Manager was running late due to weather circumstances, but that we would talk for a few minutes. We went through some light questions/overview for about 30 minutes before the District Manager called and said she wouldn't be making it to the store for the interview and instructed the Store Manager to let me go and they would call and reschedule the interview later. (During the interview, I was told that the store 'was behind,' and the work load was about 55 hours a week, and that there were rules we follow and rules we don't....What does that mean?)
    I never received a reschedule phone call (I waited a week,) so I called the recruiter to follow up. I left a message in the morning, and she called me back by about lunch the same day asking how the interview with the District Manager went. I informed her that there hadn't been an interview with the District Manager as they couldn't make it into town, and that there had been zero communication from anyone at that level. The recruiter asked how the discussion with the Store Manager went and I told her I thought it went well, but didn't really seem to be any sort of real interview.
    The recruiter thanked me and said that she would follow up on the situation. She called back about a week later to tell me that they had decided to go another direction.
    I enjoyed the recruiter and the interview with her. She asked straight forward questions that would be indicative of my future work ethics and behavior. I did not enjoy my time being wasted by a Store Manager who wanted to sit and chit chat for an hour about what she does all day in the store that is apparently behind on everything, or the District Manager who couldn't seem to drive in a little winter weather, OR make the time to call an applicant who had taken time out of their schedule to come to an interview that didn't happen. She hadn't even left her house yet when she called to say she may not make it, and her house was 2 hours away from the interview site. Talk about poor planning and a complete disregard for others' time and effort. I'm kind of glad that this was my interview process, because after what I saw, I'm pretty sure that it's rather revealing as far as the respect, dignity and treatment of their associates goes as a company... or at least a district.

Interview Questions
    • We demand a lot from our managers' time. Explain how and why you organize your time in your current position.   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores in July 2010.

I went through 5 interviews for this job consisting of telephone and face to face interviews. They have a thorough interview process. I think they are just trying to make sure they are hiring the right person and it is the right fit.

Interview Questions
    • I always find the most difficult question to answer is "why do you want to work here?" because you don't know if what you think you know about the company is true.   Answer Question
    Simple.