Michaels Stores

Getting the Interview

30 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2013.

Interview Details – I received a call from the store 2 days after applying which I was unable to answer. They did not leave a message, so I called them back a couple days later and had an interview set up within 2 days. The interview was very quick and laid back. I was asked about what I had put on my application and told what hours they had available and what the pay would be. No other questions were asked. The next day I got a call offering me the job, and I began working the day after.

Interview Question – None. I was only asked about my background information that I had put on my application.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online through snagajob and got called in for an interview a couple of weeks later. I applied for a cashier position at one store, but was told that, since my availability was relatively open, I would be hired to set up a new store and, when that was done, I may or may not be asked to stay. The interview was very informal. I was asked maybe three questions and told to "just come back tomorrow" for training. It all took about five minutes.

Interview Question – What was your best customer service experience?   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2011.

Interview Details – I applied in the store with current resume. (A friend of mine who knew the assistant manager had already put in a good word for me so they were expecting my application & resume) Was called for an interview within just a few days. I was offered the position & I accepted.position.

Interview Question – Unexpected question at end of interview with store manager..."Are you after my job?"   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, I simply stated I would not take a minimum wage position.

Union City, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online and was invited to a face-to-face interview with the store manager. Got hired on the spot and came back next week to sign paperwork. Background check before interview took around 3 weeks.

Interview Question – What is your experience with crafts?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No, salary is already set and there's no room for negotiations.

Huntington, WV

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2012.

Interview Details – Quite a long on-line application. Takes a while to hear anything back, Interview was quick and perfunctory. If you can pass the application process and seem minimally responsible you can get the job. Showing up on-time for your shift is paramount.

Interview Question – None. I was immediately offered the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiating at the entry level position.

Chesapeake, VA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online through SnagAJob. I read a few of the reviews about the interview process on here and decided to wait a bit for them to call and schedule an interview. 5 days later, I went to the store and turned in my resume to the manager. She told me that they would check to see if they had openings in the schedule to interview me because they were doing interviews that exact day. Then she scheduled me an appointment for 2 hours later. I went in 5 minutes early when my interviewer came out and took me back to the classroom in the back of the store. She asked me questions about my experiences and then asked if I had questions. Once this was all over, she told me they would run a background check and then call me. I was very pleased to hear this. A week after this happened, I got a little nervous because they still hadn't contacted me. I decided to call the store. I was informed that they were still running background checks and would be making calls to schedule orientation once they were completed. That was two days ago and this morning I got a call. They asked me to come in tomorrow morning for an interview. I am not sure what will happen yet, but I'm confident it will go well.
Just remember, you're looking for a job. Be proactive, but not obnoxious. Have confidence in your ability!

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to bend the rules to accomplish a goal?   View Answer

Cashier Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a phone call about a week later. The manager asked if I could come in for an interview. The interview was very informal. I was not asked any questions except if I would like to work there. The manager talked about the store and what I'd do, and mentioned the low pay.

Mandeville, LA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2011.

Interview Details – I was questioned on where I had worked before and after finding out I had an art degree, what my hobbies were. On my first interview, it was the customer experience manager who interviewed me at the time. The second time, it was the store manager. He asked if I would be interested in working in the frame shop. I told him I was, to which he replied that they would train me on the register first and then move me to framing. That's when I found out I was hired and what my hourly wage would start off at.

Interview Question – Where I saw myself in a few years. I answered that I was looking to go back to school, which was the honest answer at the time but now, I'm not so sure. It just hit me personally, I suppose.   Answer Question

Sparks, NV

I applied online - interviewed at Michaels Stores in April 2013.

Interview Details – Filled out the application online. The applications asks open-ended questions like "Why do you like arts and crafts" and "describe the best customer service you've ever received". It then puts you through a 12 page personality assessment and a timed quiz on basic math and reading comprehension.

I received a call a few days later and came in for an interview. It was a basic one-on-one interview with one or two behavioral questions. It was more of a "let me get to know you" sort of interview and the interviewer asked what sort of crafts I did and asked "for a little bit about myself" so I explained I was going to school and that I've recently moved to the area. She also wanted to make sure that I was a good multitasker and really stressed the need for that skill in the position I was being interviewed for.

I then received a follow up call a few days later for a second interview. It was supposed to be with another manager but he had an emergency so the interview was very short. I was asked to describe a time where I was expected to accomplish a lot of tasks in a short amount of time, again stressing the need for a good multitasker.

Received the final call and was hired

Interview Question – It was very easy and basic. She asked me what movies I liked which I wasn't really expecting (though easy to answer).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None as it was my first job

Niles, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – Applied online multiple times. Called me about an interview on monday, came in on tuesday. Basic interview questions. Manager first interviewed me. Then another lady interviewed me, and this was a bit intimidating with harder questions. Was extremely nervous.

Interview Question – If you could be an animal, what would you be?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Michaels Stores

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michaels Stores Cashier interview questions and advice. All 30 interview reviews posted anonymously by Michaels Stores employees and interview candidates.