Michaels Stores Certified Custom Framer Interview Questions

Updated May 10, 2015

1.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

A couple weeks after I applied they contacted me for an interview. I came in a few minutes early and waited another 25. The interview lasted less than five minutes and neither of the two interviewers asked me another question beyond "so tell us a little bit about yourself". Apparently the fact that I came in on time and seemed willing and responsible was enough for them, they didn't really need to hear much more. It seemed that they really just want someone who shows up, everything else can be taught.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Michaels Stores

Certified Custom Framer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview

I was contacted within 24 hours of my online job submission regarding an interview, which was set for the next week. After that, and a fairly rigorous interview, I was notified 72 hours or so later, after my background check came through clean, that I was being offered a position. There was a little haggling regarding compensation (which was not brought up at the interview at all) but once offered a position, I was to start I think two weeks later. Most of the questions regarded my past retail experience, my fine arts degree and experience and my availability. It was made known that hours may be a little sparse in my department for a bit but that I should be able to pick them up as a floor associate if wanted and that during holiday times, there were probably more hours available/expected.

Interview Questions

• Probably about where I saw myself fitting in with the company and my long term goals, as honestly I wanted the job as a stop gap until I found my next salaried position in my field and the idea of being stuck as a career retailer was horrifying to me, however I felt if I didn't mentally assume the role of career retailer, I may not be offered the part time job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated a higher starting salary, which took three back and forths. I was nickle and dimed more or less and I had plenty of past experience, but I also knew once I agreed to a starting salary I would never see a raise, ever. It all took place over one phonecall and I could tell there was great reluctance. I could have possibly pushed a little harder but once you're getting offers of maybe a quarter higher and "I'm not even sure I can do that" you know to stop pushing your luck too much more.

Anonymous Employee in Beachwood, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Beachwood, OH) in April 2013.

Interview

I applied online and was called for an interview three days later. The store manager asked me one question and then talked about the history of Michaels Stores and what the position would entail. He didn't turn his headset off so throughout the interview he would stop talking or interrupt me to answer a question on the headset. He asked if I would be able to start the following week and said I would hear from him within three days. The entire process took about ten minutes. The manager seemed incredibly cocky, from his refusal to turn the headset off to his gushing about how great his store was. He often talked over me or seemed like he wasn't really listening.

Interview Questions

• The only question I was asked was why I wanted to work at Michaels.   Answer Question

I assumed I had gotten the job when he asked if I could start the next week. After a week with no call, I tried contacting him and could not get a hold of him. About a month later I received a call offering me the job, but I had decided it was not an environment I wanted to work in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Gainesville, GA).

Interview

Applied online and received a call inviting me to come in for an interview. The process was very relaxed and pressure-free while remaining professional. Questions were typical and related to work history and prior customer service experience. I felt I was definitely over-prepared. I was offered a job on the spot as a cashier and was quickly promoted to custom framing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were overwhelmed at work and how you handed the situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midlothian, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Midlothian, VA) in August 2012.

Interview

Go online to submit an application and then fill out a test. You most likely wont get a call from the store you apply to. Once called, a simple interview will be done with the store manager and maybe the framing manager. They were very courteous when scheduling a time for the interview to take place.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sioux Falls, SD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Sioux Falls, SD) in May 2012.

Interview

They didn't seem overly concerned about my experience - all they had to hear was I'd worked in a gallery a few years ago and that was enough to satisfy them. It was a little nerve-wracking to have two managers throwing questions at me because the questions were sort of contradictory. I wore business casual to the interview and that was okay by them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is NO negotiation - you take what is offered or you don't. Period.

Certified Custom Framer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores in February 2012.

Interview

High turnover job with low hours and low pay.

Certified Custom Framer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2011.

Interview

The interview and questions online didn't seem like they'd be beneficial. I clicked immediately with the store managers which helped me make the decision as well. When we talked in person, there was a lot of talk about my previous artistic experience as well as other retail jobs.

Interview Questions

• "How much do you expect to make"   1 Answer

Negotiation

They normally paid min wage but due to experience I was able to negotiate $10

Certified Custom Framer Interview

Interview

3 interviews with 3 different people in different areas of the store, very friendly interviews focused on mantaining the work culture inside the store. They asked about the company's background and what they mostly seek is a person with amateur or a professional background in any art. That helps a lot.

Interview Questions

• What do you know of art and how will you help a costumer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Basically it was this is what we have at the moment but at the end of the high peak seasonal period we will talk again.

Certified Custom Framer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores in November 2011.

Interview

Talked to the frame shop manager about openings. He explained how to apply online. Filled out app online, was surprised that there was a timed test which included a math test. Mostly common sense questions.

Interview Questions

• starting pay rate lower than I hoped.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They did come up .50 an hour.