Michaels Stores

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2011.

Interview Details – Only form of hiring process was via online application. Did not call me and when I went into my local store to try and follow up with someone, I was directed to "go apply online".

Interview Question – The online application asked very general questions like something you would be asked in a mock interview at school.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Seasonal Sales Associate
North Riverside, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through Snag-A-Job on Monday, November 4th. I was called to interview on November 12th. I arrived early and was told to wait in the classroom located in the back of the store. The manager came in and told me about Michaels and the duties of the position. He asked me one question and that was "Why should I hire you?". I explained to him that I had 4 years of customer service experience and during my down time I like to do arts and crafts. I also gave the manager my resume and he seemed very impressed with my college major. He offered me the position and I accepted.

Interview Question – Why should I hire you? (This was not difficult nor unexpected)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was not able to negotiate. This may have been it was a seasonal position.

Very Easy Interview

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online through snagajob and got called in for an interview a couple of weeks later. I applied for a cashier position at one store, but was told that, since my availability was relatively open, I would be hired to set up a new store and, when that was done, I may or may not be asked to stay. The interview was very informal. I was asked maybe three questions and told to "just come back tomorrow" for training. It all took about five minutes.

Interview Question – What was your best customer service experience?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Niles, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – Applied online multiple times. Called me about an interview on monday, came in on tuesday. Basic interview questions. Manager first interviewed me. Then another lady interviewed me, and this was a bit intimidating with harder questions. Was extremely nervous.

Interview Question – If you could be an animal, what would you be?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Aurora, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in April 2012.

Interview Details – Received a call from the store manager a few weeks after completing online application. I came in for an interview that week & was told the duties involved, etc. What was strange & eerily telling, there were hardly any other workers there!

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was if I was a current , regular customer of Michaels. I was/am not.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The pay was lousy.

Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service Interview

Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service
Algonquin, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online through Snagajob.com. I was called maybe two to three weeks later by the manager who wanted me to come in on that day. I was incredibly nervous, but when I got there, they had me sit in one of the crafting classrooms and wait for the manager to come speak to me. He was fifteen minutes late, and when he arrived, he basically just told me about the company for twenty minutes and asked me if I had any hobbies. And that was it. No more questions. He sent my background check in, and told me to come in on Friday.

Interview Question – Do you have any hobbies that may interfere with the job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I

Replenishment Associate Interview

Replenishment Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied to Michael's online. Approximately 5 weeks later I got the call to come in and interview. A manager showed me around the store and briefly explained the system in which they organize the merchandise. Then the actual interview was held in the break room. It lasted less than twenty minutes. I was told that I would get a call after he spoke with the co-manager. I was called about three hours later and offered the position.

My interview was pretty basic:
Describe world class customer service.
Do you think employees with seniority should be paid more?
Why do you want to work at Michael's?
How would you handle a conflict between you and your manager?

Interview Question – Define initiative.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2009.

Interview Details – District HR called to set up the phone interview. She was very polite and friendly. She asked about the current volume the store I worked for did, what were my greatest strengths and weaknesses, why I was interested in leaving the company, what was I looking for in a new company, what did I know about them, had I shopped there before, and then asked me what questions I had. The hardest question is always what is your greatest weakness. When we talked money, it was obvious that I made far too much in salary to be considered.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michaels Stores interview questions and advice in Chicago, IL. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Michaels Stores employees and interview candidates.