Michaels Stores

2.1

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores in January 2014.

I submitted an on-line application... After a few weeks I received an e-mail requesting a phone interview . The phone interview took place and they asked me to submit by resume by a certain date. I did so well within that time frame and sent a voicemail stating that it had been sent as I instructed. I never received a response to the voicemail nor the e-mail I sent. EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL!!!! I was stunned at MICHAELS...

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about my managerial experiences and my role in my current job which includes management experience.   View Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Riverside, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Riverside, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores in November 2013.

Applied through Snag-A-Job on Monday, November 4th. I was called to interview on November 12th. I arrived early and was told to wait in the classroom located in the back of the store. The manager came in and told me about Michaels and the duties of the position. He asked me one question and that was "Why should I hire you?". I explained to him that I had 4 years of customer service experience and during my down time I like to do arts and crafts. I also gave the manager my resume and he seemed very impressed with my college major. He offered me the position and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Why should I hire you? (This was not difficult nor unexpected)   Answer Question
    Was not able to negotiate. This may have been it was a seasonal position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores in July 2013.

Friendly interview, felt casual and they showed interest in my own interests and skills. They showed appreciation for the skills I had an offered that they wanted me to be working in framing.

Interview Questions
    • They were all the usual questions, nothing too difficult   Answer Question
    They gave me a higher pay because of experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2013.

I applied online through snagajob and got called in for an interview a couple of weeks later. I applied for a cashier position at one store, but was told that, since my availability was relatively open, I would be hired to set up a new store and, when that was done, I may or may not be asked to stay. The interview was very informal. I was asked maybe three questions and told to "just come back tomorrow" for training. It all took about five minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niles, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niles, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores.

Applied online multiple times. Called me about an interview on monday, came in on tuesday. Basic interview questions. Manager first interviewed me. Then another lady interviewed me, and this was a bit intimidating with harder questions. Was extremely nervous.

Interview Questions
    • If you could be an animal, what would you be?   View Answer

Replenishment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2012.

I applied to Michael's online. Approximately 5 weeks later I got the call to come in and interview. A manager showed me around the store and briefly explained the system in which they organize the merchandise. Then the actual interview was held in the break room. It lasted less than twenty minutes. I was told that I would get a call after he spoke with the co-manager. I was called about three hours later and offered the position.

My interview was pretty basic:
    Describe world class customer service.
    Do you think employees with seniority should be paid more?
    Why do you want to work at Michael's?
    How would you handle a conflict between you and your manager?

Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Algonquin, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Algonquin, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2012.

I applied online through Snagajob.com. I was called maybe two to three weeks later by the manager who wanted me to come in on that day. I was incredibly nervous, but when I got there, they had me sit in one of the crafting classrooms and wait for the manager to come speak to me. He was fifteen minutes late, and when he arrived, he basically just told me about the company for twenty minutes and asked me if I had any hobbies. And that was it. No more questions. He sent my background check in, and told me to come in on Friday.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any hobbies that may interfere with the job?   Answer Question
    I

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores in April 2012.

Received a call from the store manager a few weeks after completing online application. I came in for an interview that week & was told the duties involved, etc. What was strange & eerily telling, there were hardly any other workers there!

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was if I was a current , regular customer of Michaels. I was/am not.   Answer Question

The pay was lousy.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2011.

Only form of hiring process was via online application. Did not call me and when I went into my local store to try and follow up with someone, I was directed to "go apply online".

Interview Questions
    • The online application asked very general questions like something you would be asked in a mock interview at school.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2009.

District HR called to set up the phone interview. She was very polite and friendly. She asked about the current volume the store I worked for did, what were my greatest strengths and weaknesses, why I was interested in leaving the company, what was I looking for in a new company, what did I know about them, had I shopped there before, and then asked me what questions I had. The hardest question is always what is your greatest weakness. When we talked money, it was obvious that I made far too much in salary to be considered.