Michaels Stores Interview Questions

2.0

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores in February 2014.

The manager did a great job telling me all the qualifications for the position and what it is going to entail. All done in a professional manner. The manager told me I would be a great fit for the position.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions that I didn't have an answer for.   Answer Question
    Happy.

Manager, Pricing Optimization Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rutland, VT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rutland, VT

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Michaels Stores in January 2010.

Position is hired in store. must show initiative and a strong knowledge of plan-o-grams. Knowledge of all product and store layout a must. Knowledge of internal office operations, corporate computer and inventory systems. Filing process as well as management preferences. A strong knowledge of inventor control infrared guns. You have to also be flexible about where you work sometime you will not have as many changes in a week as others and you are required to work in other areas of the store and could work any area so you are really being groomed for store management as you learn every aspect of store operations.

Interview Questions
    • No real big ones here just proven go to good attitude.   View Answer
    Substantial raise from regular hourly employee.

Sales Associate/Cashier/Replenishment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  La Habra, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Habra, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2014.

I was surprised by a group interview, the last time I went (2-4 years ago) they only used to do one on one interviews. So be prepared for that. Also, they will ask everyone different questions, try to stay calm and try to think of multiple ways of answering. Make yourself sound resourceful, I made the mistake of answering too quickly because I was a little nervous. The interviewers try to be friendly and remind you to smile the entire time. Try to avoid saying "Um" "Like" a lot. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • If you're not keeping up, what do you do?   View Answer

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Colma, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colma, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2014.

The interview went very smoothly.Because I am a college student,the manager inquired about my educational goals and she asked about prior jobs that I had worked at.She also asked if I was available for most times and I said that I was.Other than that,the interview wasn't very intensive and that was the majority of what she asked.It was essentially a light chat and ended within 5 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions,all of them were simple and straightforward.   Answer Question

Sales Floor Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Murphy, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murphy, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2012.

I saw they were hiring because of a huge sign they had in front of the store and the interview process was unexpected. It was a group interview with five pother people at the Michaels store a town over. The leading manager did it this way because she was about 9 months pregnant and was tired of interviewing. She did it kinda lazily, but it is expected since she had to interview over 100 applicants because it was a brand new store that hadn't opened yet. It was short and to the point. She asked us all questions and we took turns answering.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty basic, nothing out of the ordinary and nothing difficult, most of the difficult or weird questions were on the online application.   Answer Question

Replenishment Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2014.

I applied online, filling out a questionnaire/survey in the process. The interview questions were the usual ones like, "Tell me about yourself and what brings you to Michaels". I was also asked if I was okay with handling money and standing for hours, which was odd because I didn't apply for cashier. I was also asked about available times. At the end, I was told that I would be called for a second interview if I fit the position.

Crafts Instructor Interview

Apply online, answer all questions online, then wait to get phone call from store based on need; interview consists of looking at your portfolio, and then discussing your availability - must be available for at least 3 classes each week - just schedule the classes 3 days a week.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions asked. In fact, not an interview like any other standard interview; it's just a matter of seeing if you have talent and skill to teach the craft - and that you have personality and drive because you initiate your own classes and registration.   Answer Question

Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Medford, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, OR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2014.

-Found job on indeed.com
    -Applied online -very simple/easy questions (but may take some time to fill out)
    -Got a call a month later and was asked what days I was free for an interview
    -Went in the next day for my interview a few minutes early (sat. at 1pm)
    -Asked someone working there where I go for my interview and she showed me the "crafts room" in the back.
    -I sat down with the lady who was going to interview me and I didn't have any work experience so she asked me questions about when I was a leader at school and a lot of questions about customer service and how I would handle tough situations. It was fairly straight forward and she was very friendly and not at all rude or mean.
    -We talked about when I would be available to work (I brought my college class schedule) and she pretty much told me what I'd be doing (stocking on this day and cashier on weekends, maybe even driving a vehicle for shipping in the back) and what times I'd be there and she worked around my fall schedule (which I also brought in) (I'm currently taking summer classes)
    -Interview was about 30-40min long and after she said she'd call once my background check was processed (3 days) and if not then call on wed. to see what's up (4days) :-)

I'm pretty sure I got the job AND it also helped that I practiced q&a at home with a friend and went online and looked at what Michael's as a store stands for and all that stuff~
    JUST BE YOURSELF AND LOVE ART/CRAFTS AND YOU'LL BE FINE (I also didn't smile as much bc I was somewhat nervous so don't worry too much on that and make good eye contact, remember your interviewer's name, ask what position you are applying for (they sometimes don't tell you), be willing to learn and just be passionate about arts and crafty stuff (add that stuff to your answers too)

Didn't have a problem with anyone there, the staff was super friendly and just come in with a positive attitude and be polite and smile :-)
    GOOD LUCK!!!

Interview Questions
    • -When have you worked in a team?...(I don't have work experience so I talked about clubs in school, cross country, volleyball and classroom projects)
      -When have you bent the rules?...(I told her I wore black jeans in jr. high when the dress code only allowed blue jeans ~she laughed saying it's good I haven't done anything extreme and called me a rebel haha~)
      When have you used a shortcut?...(I told her I normally don't use shortcuts with projects but I do when there's an accident on the road and I have to go another way ~we both laughed~)

Other Questions:
      -Why do you want to work here?...(I LOVE ARTS AND CRAFTS!!!)
      -What do you do if you have a problem or argument with a supervisor/manager?...(I talk it out with them)
        Answer Question
    She said I'd get a call after my background check and I'm going to ask for minimum wage which here in Oregon is $9.10 and if it's below that I'll take the job (it's a job guys!!) and work there for a bit (maybe I can raise it) while looking for another job that pays more~

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Avon, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Avon, OH

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2012.

I was initially contacted by phone. Set up an interview for the next day, I went into the interview confident that I had just aced the interview I had set up and completed with another company and acted as if I didn't need the job (and I did, desperately). I chatted with the store manager and ended up feeling as if I wasn't going to get the job because she did not actually ask any interview questions. I receieved a phone call a day later, in the late evening and she asked me if I was willing to take the job then set me up with an orientation for a seasonal position (which later turned into an official position). I accepted and the whole process took maybe a week and a half.

Interview Questions
    • I was mostly asked questions about myself and we chatted about a town we both had resided in   View Answer
    No negotiation

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2014.

Got a call about an interview, was told to come in monday at 3:30. The lady was really nice, I told her that this would be my first interview and asked what do I need to know. She told me that all she would do is ask questions and see if I would be a good fit for the cashier position or sales associate. The day of the interview I showed up at 3:15 and asked one of the employees where do I go for my interview the manager was walking up when I asked and told me to follow her I apologized for being super early she said it was no problem she just finished up with an other interview and took me to a room in the back. She asked me simple questions like on a scale of 1-10 how would I rate my luck and asked me if I get aggravated easy, etc. She told me about the positions and what you do, then asked me what position did I see myself working in and why.

The interview was fast and simple it took about 15-20 minutes. She told me that should would call me the next day or Thursday depending on when my background check came back. And she would let me know if I got the job or not.

Interview Questions

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!