Michaels Stores Interview Questions & Reviews

2.0

Part Time Sales Floor Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I interviewed online - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2014.

Applied through the company's online application sometime in June 2014. I have gotten a call sometime last week asking if I was still interested in working at Michaels and I replied yes. There are actually three Michaels Stores in my area, and I had assumed that I would be going for an interview at the one closest to my home. I actually ended up having an interview at a store a little further from home, but the assistant manager was very understanding. She was very kind in calling my local store about any available positions, and the store did. All of the stores are currently gearing up for the Holiday season, but the assistant manager stressed that hours were very flexible and your time at the store (whether you stay on long term, short term, or seasonally) is ultimately up to you. Pay, on the other hand, not so much. Pay rates depends on the store, but I am more interested in a flexible work schedule because of other obligations going on in my life than I am of having a higher pay rate. Everyone I met was very freely and approachable: it was very easy to talk to them about my concerns with balancing this job with a full time job. I am hoping to hear from my local Michaels store so that I can speak with them about working there instead of having to say "Thanks, but no thanks".

Interview Questions
    • The interview was more of a meet and greet, informative sort of session. It was a pretty short meeting, the interview took place more on the phone, which was unexpected. However, I did not have answer any general interview questions and the "resume" was my online application.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, which was fine; I have a bachelors degree, but it is not in business, and I have never worked in retail before.

Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Medford, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, OR

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2014.

-Found job on indeed.com
    -Applied online -very simple/easy questions (but may take some time to fill out)
    -Got a call a month later and was asked what days I was free for an interview
    -Went in the next day for my interview a few minutes early (sat. at 1pm)
    -Asked someone working there where I go for my interview and she showed me the "crafts room" in the back.
    -I sat down with the lady who was going to interview me and I didn't have any work experience so she asked me questions about when I was a leader at school and a lot of questions about customer service and how I would handle tough situations. It was fairly straight forward and she was very friendly and not at all rude or mean.
    -We talked about when I would be available to work (I brought my college class schedule) and she pretty much told me what I'd be doing (stocking on this day and cashier on weekends, maybe even driving a vehicle for shipping in the back) and what times I'd be there and she worked around my fall schedule (which I also brought in) (I'm currently taking summer classes)
    -Interview was about 30-40min long and after she said she'd call once my background check was processed (3 days) and if not then call on wed. to see what's up (4days) :-)

I'm pretty sure I got the job AND it also helped that I practiced q&a at home with a friend and went online and looked at what Michael's as a store stands for and all that stuff~
    JUST BE YOURSELF AND LOVE ART/CRAFTS AND YOU'LL BE FINE (I also didn't smile as much bc I was somewhat nervous so don't worry too much on that and make good eye contact, remember your interviewer's name, ask what position you are applying for (they sometimes don't tell you), be willing to learn and just be passionate about arts and crafty stuff (add that stuff to your answers too)

Didn't have a problem with anyone there, the staff was super friendly and just come in with a positive attitude and be polite and smile :-)
    GOOD LUCK!!!

Interview Questions
    • -When have you worked in a team?...(I don't have work experience so I talked about clubs in school, cross country, volleyball and classroom projects)
      -When have you bent the rules?...(I told her I wore black jeans in jr. high when the dress code only allowed blue jeans ~she laughed saying it's good I haven't done anything extreme and called me a rebel haha~)
      When have you used a shortcut?...(I told her I normally don't use shortcuts with projects but I do when there's an accident on the road and I have to go another way ~we both laughed~)

Other Questions:
      -Why do you want to work here?...(I LOVE ARTS AND CRAFTS!!!)
      -What do you do if you have a problem or argument with a supervisor/manager?...(I talk it out with them)
        Answer Question
    She said I'd get a call after my background check and I'm going to ask for minimum wage which here in Oregon is $9.10 and if it's below that I'll take the job (it's a job guys!!) and work there for a bit (maybe I can raise it) while looking for another job that pays more~

Cashiertockman Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Alexandria, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I interviewed through a staffing agency - interviewed at Michaels Stores in May 2013.

Just showed up and discuss the things I liked about employment and how I worked with others. My knowledge on certain products and even knowledge of Brands and Brushes used for people aspiring to become a good artist.

Interview Questions
    • The time you had to work and how long you worked.   View Answer

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Completed an online application which consisted of a ridiculous timed assessment and personality test. Received a call to confirm interview appointment five days later. I thought it would be the usual face-to-face, but it was a group interview consisting of six other candidates. Definitely was not expecting it. Manager wasn't there so another employee and assistant manager hosted the interview. Basic interview with common retail questions. Because I didn't have any previous work experience, I was not qualify for the position.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Tell me about yourself.
      2. Why should we hire you?
      3. Describe a time where you were faced with a difficult situation.
      4. During a busy day, you notice that another employee stole $100 from the cash register, how would you handle it?
        Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Did two online assessments after the application. One was timed, the other was not. The timed assessment has math and English multiple choice questions, and the other one just has a personality test (Strongly Agree, Slightly Agree, Neutral, etc.) Still waiting for them to review my application.

Interview Questions
    • The online assessment was timed (10 minutes) and has a lot of math and English questions. Be prepared for some word problems too.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Moorestown, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moorestown, NJ

I interviewed online - interviewed at Michaels Stores in November 2012.

Called in for interview 2 months after applying. Initially started out as a seasonal employee and in January I was made a permanent employee. Asked about my hours availability and my experience. They were willing to train me on registers.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2012.

I went through 2 phone interviews with HR. I was then set up with District Manager for formal interview. I was then waiting on my Background check . Entire process took 3 weeks before I was offerered a position.

Interview Questions
    • Very simple interview. Standard questions.   View Answer
    Three weeks then I was offered position where I traveled to another state to train for 5 weeks. I was then flown to Dallas Tx for 5 days then placed in my store.

Cashier Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Online application, very easy, was called to come in the next day. One of the easier online applications I've filled out. The store manager interviewed me, it was short and sweet. Very basic questions.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2013.

Called after completing an online application. In person interview was very basic and less than 15 minutes. Mostly to confirm that you will show up and aren't a total nutcase.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores in July 2014.

I got a voicemail from the store and then when I called back they asked if I was still interested to work for them and then I replied yes and they asked if I wanted an interview and I replied yes again. When I went in for the interview everyone was very nice and they pulled me into the office for like 5 minutes explaining how they would train me and my pay and then they only asked who I knew that worked there and then what would I do with a customer who is cranky about only being able to use one coupon then she said they were offering me a job and got my info and gave me a training date.

Interview Questions
    • There was only one question and it was super easy I barely had to think.   Answer Question

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!