Michaels Stores

Getting the Interview

221 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate/Cashier/Replenishment Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Michaels Stores in July 2013.

Interview Details – I received a phone call the day after I submitted the application. I was told who to speak with and when. Interview was straight forward and relaxed professional. I was hired at the end of the interview and told to buy my uniform (basic pants and shirt from anywhere) and when to come in for training.

Interview Question – I cannot recall exactly. It was one of those "What would you do?" kind of questions probably and it was a moral vs business dilemma.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – mostly situational questions. some behavioral and past employee experiences. Roughly 30 minutes. Managers have a worksheet that has all the questions to ask the employee.

Interview Question – Very standard.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Replenishment Associate Interview

Replenishment Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – applied online then called not to long after came in was told what the job entailed and if I was interested.

Interview Question – Willing to work at 4 a.m. physical activity.   Answer Question

Replenishment Associate Interview

Replenishment Associate
Middletown, RI

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – Was contacted by phone after filling out an online application. Scheduled an interview for two days later, went in and was hired.

Interview Question – Wasn't asked a difficult question but was asked to work some very unpleasant hours.   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – You have to fill out the application online, you can't just hand in resume at the store with the manager. It was a simple interview, about 45 minutes in length, basic interview questions, focused on experience with customer service. They asked the popular questions asked and I had to complete an aptitude test.

Interview Question – when did you make a change that you were given a resistance from   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Sales Associate/Cashier
Waterbury, CT

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Michaels Stores in November 2013.

Interview Details – After applying online on a whim in July, I actually forgot I applied to Michaels. Which is why I was surprised when (four months later) I received a phone call from the Assistant Manager at the store. She asked me if I was still interested in working at the store, and I said yes. We set up an interview on the phone, and that was that. I went in for the interview with a copy of my resume and a cover letter, completely unsure of what I should expect.

The Assistant Manager lead me into the classroom, offered me a seat, and I handed her my resume. She looked through it for a few minutes, commented on some stuff, asked a few questions about specific things, and then called in the Store Manager. She walked in, introduced herself, and the two of them started giving me a run-down of the job.

They didn't ask too many questions, I figured it was because I had all of my information down in the resume. They finished up, saying they would call me by the following Friday (exactly 7 days from the interview) with their decision.

The interview itself took about 20 minutes.

I received a call from them about 10 days after the interview, asking me if I would be willing to join the team. I agreed, and began working as a Cashier the following week

Interview Question – Would you be willing to clean the bathrooms?   View Answer

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Sales Associate/Cashier
Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – Applied online via their company website, had to renew information after applying a few years prior. Received a phone call about a month after for an interview later that week. Arrived promptly and had to wait a few minutes for manager to become available. Was asked questions such as why do you want to work with Michaels? What kind of crafts do you like to do? Do you have any special skills? Is there anything you think you're the best at? If you had a problem with an employee what would you do? What kinds of crafts do you have knowledge in? How much, etc... Then I was told I would be called within a week. Received the phone call about 3 days later offering me the job. Then got on the job training the day after. People seemed friendly and helpful.

Interview Question – Name something you're the best at and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not able to negotiate, but higher than minimum wage at other locations.

Lexington, KY

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2010.

Interview Details – I put in an application online. I got called about 2 days later from the store manager asking me to come in for an interview. I had never really been in the store before and didn't know the dress code and what the appropriate attire would be for an interview. I chose a cardigan, dark wash denim pants, and flats and that seemed to be fine. I went into the interview a few days after the call. It was held in the classroom at the front of the store and the manager was ready to start when I got there. She basically went through my application, asking the same questions that were on there. It was my first job interview ever, so I was extremely nervous, but the manager was very friendly and made me feel comfortable. After we went through the application I was offered the job on the spot and set up when I would come in for my first day.

Interview Question – What is something that would provide a more enjoyable workplace?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – At the time of the interview I was living out of town, but getting ready to move into the area for school. The manager was very understanding that I would need some time before I could officially start work.

Newark, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2013.

Interview Details – Interesting interview, nothing specific stood out..

Interview Question – Normal questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – pay was too low

PT Customer Experience Manager Interview

PT Customer Experience Manager

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – Interview process is easy like any other when prepared easy going with store management and a little more challenging with district management , but overall good experience .

Interview Question – How would you deal with an employee who applied for position that you have been hired for ?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Michaels Stores

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michaels Stores interview questions and advice. All 221 interview reviews posted anonymously by Michaels Stores employees and interview candidates.