Michaels Stores

Average Difficulty
254 candidate interviews

Retail Manager Interview

Retail Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in May 2010.

Interview Details – Michaels is a nice company who wants to pick the very best employees so they give a battery of very hard intelligence tests, integrity questionaires, skills matches, phone interviews from recruiters, first interviews with store managers and second interviews with DM's, so be prepared for the longest ordeal you have ever gone through just for a job that pays a few bucks over min wage.

Interview Question – How would you set this planogram   Answer Question

Creative Designer Interview

Creative Designer
Irving, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Michaels Stores in May 2010.

Interview Details – Initially sent my resume to a Micheal's Recruiter. She responded and sent me a questionnaire on personality
and experience. My info was forwarded to a creative manager and a phone interview was arranged. This manager reviewed my work samples and asked me about my work experience and work personality. This manager seemed like me enough to have me come in for a personal interview. When that was arranged, it
was a full day schedule. I was asked to complete a test which would determine my business experience, a lot of this did not apply to me because it was geared more for marketing, finance, management, etc... I also presented my portfolio to at least five members of management and a HR representative. One of the members of management I felt was definitely try to unravel me and trip me up. I did not hear anything after that interview for two months. I was then told I was not selected. I did interview again by phone in 2010. I also spent a week creating holiday designs for the manager I was to speak with. She said my work would not have fit for their product but I do feel she would not have interview me If she did not like what I had presented to her. This phone interview was based more on merchandising in the store. I have to say I worked very hard to get this position. I would have been a very dedicated employee and felt that the questions about merchandising in the store were not appropriate for the position I was applying for.

Interview Questions

• I was given a test of 90 questions or more. This was a test more about finance management, marketing, logistics, etc... I was not applying for any of these positions.   View Answer
  • How would I display an aisle in the store to drive sales.   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager
Fort Worth, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2011.

Interview Details – You have to turn in a letter of interest along with a resume. Then you are at some point given an interview time. I was at work when I was told that my interview would be the next morning. When I gave my letter of interest I was told nothing. About a week before the interview even though I did not know the exact date the manager handed me some papers and said to read them. That was it. I did ask another manager what I should know because there was nothing in the papers I was given to let me know how to prepare for the interview. The papers only showed what modules you would be learning when hired.

Interview Question – The first question was "If you are not hired for this position will you quit?"   View Answers (2)

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Oceanside, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Michaels Stores in February 2013.

Interview Details – I filled out an application online and got a call 6 weeks later. The manager of the store near me said they get 100s of applications and that when they need someone, they go to the apps online. The first interview was an unexpected group interview with 7 other applicants. It lasted an hour. I was called for a one on one interview.

Interview Question – Who was your favorite person to work with and who has been the worst   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2012.

Interview Details – A manager called me and left a message (wanted to interview me) on my cell. I called them back at least twice and was told by an employee that they would give the manager my name and number and that I would be contacted shortly. I never heard back from the manager and therefore didn't even get to go to the interview. I even tried going into the store to speak with the manager and the employees were rude and told me to just call again.

Interview Question – I never got an interview, but the skills test/application was very tedious. I was honestly surprised that anyone could pass it.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Michaels Stores in November 2011.

Interview Details – Strangely difficult interview for a job that seemingly doesn't require a lot of knowledge or experience. The manager was kind of rude as well. Alot of questions were asked, strengths/weaknesses, and a lot of situations

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Plan-o-gram Sales Analyst Interview

Plan-o-gram Sales Analyst
Irving, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Michaels Stores in January 2010.

Interview Details – interview took almost all day, math test, reading comprehension test, spent a lot of time basically locked in a room alone waiting for all of the interviewers to come to me, which was a little awkward.

Assistant Manager/Fast Track Interview

Assistant Manager/Fast Track
Pearland, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2009.

Interview Details – Started with a person in Human Resources. It was a brief call that included very little about my skills but more like a screening. They verified resume information, discussed any gaps in employment, and then asked about why I left other companies. They then emailed forms to fill out for application, background check, and a link to a portal which was a personality test.

Later in the week you receive a phone call letting you know to expect a call to set up a 1:1 interview with the DM. That interview was a basic behavioral type interview...you know the kind that forces you to display your experience....(e.g. "give me an example of when you ......."). If the DM likes you, he will tell you to expect a call from the regional manager. At this time I was told that the Regional Manager will make you feel like you have no chance at the job and to ignore his personality flaw. So I was prepared. What I wasn't prepared for was the RM's first Question....."Tell me something about yourself that your resume does not already tell me."
I knew this was not the time to mention that I swallowed a goldfish during a college prank. So I just kept it professional, and stayed within the boundaries of my work habits. Apparantly it worked but when I finished the RM interview I felt like the Psych-police ran through my brain searching for something that wasn't their. I was ready to admit that I had flown to Saturn and back on a rubber spaceship.

Any the only way I knew I got the job was an email from Human Resources telling me to expect an offer. A week later I received an email with a much lower offer than I expected so I thought it was time to put on my negotiating hat. Not knowing who to talk to I replied back to HR with a counter offer and basically two days later I was told to take it or leave it. I took it.

Interview Question – Tell me something about yourself that your resume or application does not tell me.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non-existent.

Freight Audit Analyst Interview

Freight Audit Analyst
Irving, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2011.

Interview Details – Intereviewed with everyone from the top down. Spent approx 3 hours interviewing. Felt everything went incredibly well - HR rep even asked at the end if I would accept a certain offer and I said yes. She emailed me the next day and said, "The group has decided to continue interviewing other applicants."

Was given no explanation when I asked why.

Otherwise, seems like a great company.

Interview Question – Tell me something you don't like about your current boss.   View Answers (2)

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2008.

Interview Details – Process that rotated me from table to table in a company sponsored process to promote Assistant Managers to Store Managers.

Interview Question – The process was unnecessary, because I didn't even seek a promotion at the time.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Michaels Stores

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michaels Stores interview questions and advice. All 254 interview reviews posted anonymously by Michaels Stores employees and interview candidates.