Michaels Stores

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Floor Associate Interview

Sales Floor Associate
Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2014.

Interview Details – I first applied online and waited a week. The hiring manager gave me an interview as soon as I called. About 2 weeks in, I finished my interview and the hiring manager recommended me to the store manager. She showed me the Assistant store manager and said that the store manager would either 1. Call me to get a background check or 2. Call me to go for a second round of interviews. I waited 2 weeks after the interview and finally called back the store. The hiring manager said that the store manager was putting in background tests and would receive the results soon. (Manager never contacted me after interview) I actually got a call/job offer the following day about an hour after.

Interview Question – Questions are very standard.
They will ask you to tell you about yourself so prepare!
I'm currently in high school so I had to relate all of the answers back to my clubs and such.
Some questions include
1. Tell me about a time when a manager wanted you to do something a different way, but you knew it was inefficient.
2. Tell me about a time you went above and beyond in "something"
3. Tell me a time you dealt with a difficult customer.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Annapolis, MD

I applied online - interviewed at Michaels Stores in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a phone call a few weeks later to set up an interview. Got interviewed the next day. I got there early and was taken straight into an office. The guy was super cool. I practiced answering a bunch of questions for no reason lol He only asked me about my previous job and then told me everything about the job (how much i will get paid, uniforms, things i would have to do as a cashier, ect) He kept saying i would most likely get the job. We then started talking about my college (me and his son go to the same college) and asked if i played any sports. The interview was only about 10-15 min. He basically told me i got the job and that he will call me next week to tell me when orientation will be! Easiest interview ever!

Negotiation Details – I liked the wage he gave me

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – this was a quick interview. they asked about my availability. They explained all available positions and the schedule times.They also explained the employees benefits and discount available. The woman was very open and knowledgeable about the company . She also explained the possibility of growing with the company.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Replenishment Associate Interview

Replenishment Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and about 2 days later I went in with my resume and handed it to the manager. Got a call about a week later to come in for the interview. He explained the position and didn't really ask me any questions at all. Just asked if I'd be able to move/lift heavy boxes and if I'm ok with getting sweaty.

Interview Question – Are you ok with coming in at 5AM?   Answer Question

Customer Experience Manager Interview

Customer Experience Manager
Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Michaels Stores in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was recruited for my position by a store manager, who approached me at my then current job. I called her to set up and interview and quickly met with her and discussed what I wanted in a job and what she could offer. She then suggested as a candidate to another store manager and I had a second interview with another store manager, which went well. A couple weeks later I got a third interview with yet a third and then finally with the District Manager. On my fifth interview, I was offered a job, finally! Geeesh! Phew!

Interview Question – Do you enjoy keeping busy?   View Answer

Interviewed at Michaels Stores

Interview Details – I received a call to set up an interview. The day of the Interview was great I asked for management they were there to start and it started smoothly. Talked about what I had written on my application, previous jobs, experiences with arts and crafts. I then got the call to see when I could start.

Interview Question – If I am comfortable working with children?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Michaels Stores

Interview Details – This was for a holiday position: Received a phone call from the manager requesting an interview. I went the following day, after the interview I was offered the job and started working within a week.

Interview Question – What would you say is your biggest flaw?   Answer Question

Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service Interview

Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service
Cupertino, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2014.

Interview Details – I originally applied back in January 2013 and heard nothing back from the 4 different stores I applied to. Micheals makes you wait 30 days between each application so it slipped to the back of my mind until around May. I applied to the same 3 stores and within 4 days got a call back from 1 asking me to come in for an interview in a weeks time.

There is nothing you really need to do to prepare except a quick browse on this site to make sure you have answers to questions. Dress business casual, I wore dark blue jeans and a collared sweater.

ARRIVE EARLY!! They were ready for me at 9:50 when I showed up, so be in the store 10-15 minutes prior. They interviewed me in the craft classroom/

Interview is very easy, almost like having a basic conversation. You will be interviewed by the store manager, the assistant manager, and the team leader of what you are applying for (i.e Framing team leader, customer assistant team leader).

They start out by asking about yourself and if you've had any experience in retail and crafting before. Then basic questions like "name a time when you needed to work as a group to solve a problem" and "name a time you didn't agree with someone on a task and what you did about it". They then asked hypothetical questions like "what would you do if you saw a long line to the register" and "what would you do if you saw someone shoplifting". Be prepared to sit for about 40 minutes, so go to the bathroom and everything before hand.

After the interview, they explained to me the process of being hired and what I should expect like wages, hours, etc. Then they said they would preform a background check and call me. 2 days later I was called to the store and given a name tag and hired.

Interview Question – "What do you expect from us as an employer". Try not to sound demanding, but also expect something.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, a set wage depending on your department. Minimum wage which in California is $9.00.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Chattanooga, TN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in January 2013.

Interview Details – Called two weeks after applying and was interviewed at an older store. Sat down with the manager of the older store in their classroom and was asked about previous employers and past experience.

Negotiation Details – Nothing

Floral Designer Interview

Floral Designer
Ocoee, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Michaels Stores in May 2014.

Interview Details – Manager contacted me by phone months after I had applied. I told him I was only interested in full time. He said even though it was part time he could pay me more than where I am currently working (a competitor). I decided I would go ahead and set up an interview. Rushed over after finishing my shift and got there early. Took the toll road so I could make it on time. Manager was more than an hour late. He was out running errands. The only reason I stayed was because I had already come all the way across town and didn't want to reschedule. After telling me how important the position is and how it's a money maker for the store he told me again he could pay me more than what I was making. I'm paid right now 10.00/hr. He offered me 10.85. What a joke! I told him the minimum I would accept was 12.00/hr. That's what the florist who taught me was paid back in 1998 when I worked at another craft store.

Interview Question – He asked me how many arrangements I could make in a day.   View Answer