Michaels Stores

1.9

Sales Associate/Cashier/Replenishment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Habra, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Habra, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2014.

I was surprised by a group interview, the last time I went (2-4 years ago) they only used to do one on one interviews. So be prepared for that. Also, they will ask everyone different questions, try to stay calm and try to think of multiple ways of answering. Make yourself sound resourceful, I made the mistake of answering too quickly because I was a little nervous. The interviewers try to be friendly and remind you to smile the entire time. Try to avoid saying "Um" "Like" a lot. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • If you're not keeping up, what do you do?   View Answer

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2014.

I applied a total of three times in the past year and didn't get a call back till my last try. I applied at the beginning of September and got called back in the beginning of October. I think the fact that they're hiring seasonal workers around this time helped me get an interview. They called on a Friday and told me the interview was the following Monday. They don't tell you that the interview is a group interview but thats what it'll be most likely, especially when they are trying to a hire a lot of new workers. The whole interview was really informal, it seemed more like the manager was just trying to get to know us and told us what our job would entail. I really loved it because they emphasized that the job was temporary, so we weren't expected to have high hopes, but they ensured that they do offer a high number of seasonal employees work after the period has ended (The first week of January). They said they would call back in three days, since they were only doing interviews that day. When the third day came around I didn't get a call, but decided I'd wait till the next day, Friday, to ask about the job, but they called Friday and hired me the job. I attended orientation the following week. The actual application process is tedious and long but once you get an interview it goes by really fast.

Interview Questions
    • We were only asked to tell them about ourselves (this consisted of basics like name, what college you were attending, what your goals were) and also if you had any questions for them, which is always recommended you do.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. They tell you during the interview the conditions of the hiring and it's minimum wage, which here in CA is $9/hr.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2014.

The application process was pretty simple. I saw their ad on SnagAJob and decided to apply on their official website. Ended up getting called 2 days later and accepted their invite to an interview a couple of days later. On the day of the interview, I was surprised to realize that it was going to be a group interview! For being my first group interview, it wasn't actually too bad. The store manager told us to write our names on construction paper and decorate it with foam stickers to make a name card. After that, we were told to give a brief description about ourselves, what position we were applying for, and why we wanted to work at Michaels. A week later, I got a call from the store manager and he offered me a job.

Interview Questions
    • Describe who you are as an individual and why you want to work at Michaels?"   Answer Question
    No negotions. Minimum wage at $9.00 an hour.

Replenishment Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2014.

I was transferred to my current store and the interview process was minimal. I wasn't asked much of anything except for what hours I was working at my old store. It was more about telling me how the current store was running, and about how their current replenishment team was doing.

Certified Framer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2014.

I applied online and received a call about a month later. I did the general application, but was chosen for a framing interview because of my degree in art (BA). The lady giving the interview was very friendly. She showed me a piece of art, then had me select several mats and frames that would look good -- a test of color and design competency. She told me that corporate needed someone who could do a hard sell on the more expensive frame choices. She asked me if I was that person (I'm not, and she said she wasn't either actually). She also needed someone to work primarily weekends, which I wasn't overly enthusiastic about. I was one of three candidates for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to upsell customers to more expensive frames, even if a cheaper frame is a better design?   Answer Question

Replenishment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

One on one interview - basic questions. As long as you are comfortable doing physical work. Make sure you mention that. Make sure to answer clearly and positively, and that you are available at night. They'll ask if you know the basic tasks and if you can accomplish lifting, loading, climbing, and lots of walking.

Crafts Instructor Interview

Apply online, answer all questions online, then wait to get phone call from store based on need; interview consists of looking at your portfolio, and then discussing your availability - must be available for at least 3 classes each week - just schedule the classes 3 days a week.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions asked. In fact, not an interview like any other standard interview; it's just a matter of seeing if you have talent and skill to teach the craft - and that you have personality and drive because you initiate your own classes and registration.   Answer Question

Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, OR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2014.

-Found job on indeed.com
    -Applied online -very simple/easy questions (but may take some time to fill out)
    -Got a call a month later and was asked what days I was free for an interview
    -Went in the next day for my interview a few minutes early (sat. at 1pm)
    -Asked someone working there where I go for my interview and she showed me the "crafts room" in the back.
    -I sat down with the lady who was going to interview me and I didn't have any work experience so she asked me questions about when I was a leader at school and a lot of questions about customer service and how I would handle tough situations. It was fairly straight forward and she was very friendly and not at all rude or mean.
    -We talked about when I would be available to work (I brought my college class schedule) and she pretty much told me what I'd be doing (stocking on this day and cashier on weekends, maybe even driving a vehicle for shipping in the back) and what times I'd be there and she worked around my fall schedule (which I also brought in) (I'm currently taking summer classes)
    -Interview was about 30-40min long and after she said she'd call once my background check was processed (3 days) and if not then call on wed. to see what's up (4days) :-)

I'm pretty sure I got the job AND it also helped that I practiced q&a at home with a friend and went online and looked at what Michael's as a store stands for and all that stuff~
    JUST BE YOURSELF AND LOVE ART/CRAFTS AND YOU'LL BE FINE (I also didn't smile as much bc I was somewhat nervous so don't worry too much on that and make good eye contact, remember your interviewer's name, ask what position you are applying for (they sometimes don't tell you), be willing to learn and just be passionate about arts and crafty stuff (add that stuff to your answers too)

Didn't have a problem with anyone there, the staff was super friendly and just come in with a positive attitude and be polite and smile :-)
    GOOD LUCK!!!

Interview Questions
    • -When have you worked in a team?...(I don't have work experience so I talked about clubs in school, cross country, volleyball and classroom projects)
      -When have you bent the rules?...(I told her I wore black jeans in jr. high when the dress code only allowed blue jeans ~she laughed saying it's good I haven't done anything extreme and called me a rebel haha~)
      When have you used a shortcut?...(I told her I normally don't use shortcuts with projects but I do when there's an accident on the road and I have to go another way ~we both laughed~)

Other Questions:
      -Why do you want to work here?...(I LOVE ARTS AND CRAFTS!!!)
      -What do you do if you have a problem or argument with a supervisor/manager?...(I talk it out with them)

Answer Question
    She said I'd get a call after my background check and I'm going to ask for minimum wage which here in Oregon is $9.10 and if it's below that I'll take the job (it's a job guys!!) and work there for a bit (maybe I can raise it) while looking for another job that pays more~

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores.

Completed an online application which consisted of a ridiculous timed assessment and personality test. Received a call to confirm interview appointment five days later. I thought it would be the usual face-to-face, but it was a group interview consisting of six other candidates. Definitely was not expecting it. Manager wasn't there so another employee and assistant manager hosted the interview. Basic interview with common retail questions. Because I didn't have any previous work experience, I was not qualify for the position.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Tell me about yourself.
      2. Why should we hire you?
      3. Describe a time where you were faced with a difficult situation.
      4. During a busy day, you notice that another employee stole $100 from the cash register, how would you handle it?

Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Did two online assessments after the application. One was timed, the other was not. The timed assessment has math and English multiple choice questions, and the other one just has a personality test (Strongly Agree, Slightly Agree, Neutral, etc.) Still waiting for them to review my application.

Interview Questions
    • The online assessment was timed (10 minutes) and has a lot of math and English questions. Be prepared for some word problems too.   Answer Question