Michaels Stores

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

1.9

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores.

The interview process was rather simple. I was asked a few questions about my school hobbies and such, a lot of character questions. I applied for sales associate, but instead I was interviewed for helping set up the new store. This wasn't really a big deal for me since I was going to work the same hours and make 8 dollars, for not having any prior experience, I was happy with that. I was told I got the job, but never received a second call back.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any difficult questions. I was surprised how informal the whole thing felt.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores.

This may be an oddball experience, but an old acquaintance of mine was a manager (I had no idea she even worked here) and just so happened to come across my application. I didn't know she would be conducting the interview, much less that she even worked at the store, until I walked in the interviewing room. It was pretty awkward. She had a packet with several formulaic interview questions, such that assess one's customer service skill and behavior ("Describe a time when you had to help an angry customer" or "Do you enjoy working as part of a team?", plenty of "Why or why not?" questions, etc.). But because she knew me, she skipped over a lot of them. Lasted around 5 to 10 minutes. I got a happy call about 1 week later.

Interview Questions
    • Not so much a particular question that was difficult or unexpected, just the overall scenario of the interview.   View Answer
    She called about 1 week later and said, "Uh, we'd like you to be here next Monday for orientation. Is that cool?" and I was like, "Yeah, I guess."

Framing Manager Interview

Pretty straightforward, I applied internally from another position. I completed a phone interview with the district manager as she was out of town. I then Interviewed with current manager and the assistant manager together the same day. I was told about the increase in pay and offered the job two days later.

Interview Questions
    • None. All were pretty much expected. Mostly dealing with employees and interacting with customers. Brush up on company policies if you are unfamiliar.   Answer Question
    There was not really any negotiation. The pay scale was based on my current pay and then raised according to how much higher the management position was from that.

Sales Associate/Cashier/Replenishment Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Habra, CA
    Anonymous Employee in La Habra, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2014.

I was surprised by a group interview, the last time I went (2-4 years ago) they only used to do one on one interviews. So be prepared for that. Also, they will ask everyone different questions, try to stay calm and try to think of multiple ways of answering. Make yourself sound resourceful, I made the mistake of answering too quickly because I was a little nervous. The interviewers try to be friendly and remind you to smile the entire time. Try to avoid saying "Um" "Like" a lot. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • If you're not keeping up, what do you do?   View Answer

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2014.

I applied a total of three times in the past year and didn't get a call back till my last try. I applied at the beginning of September and got called back in the beginning of October. I think the fact that they're hiring seasonal workers around this time helped me get an interview. They called on a Friday and told me the interview was the following Monday. They don't tell you that the interview is a group interview but thats what it'll be most likely, especially when they are trying to a hire a lot of new workers. The whole interview was really informal, it seemed more like the manager was just trying to get to know us and told us what our job would entail. I really loved it because they emphasized that the job was temporary, so we weren't expected to have high hopes, but they ensured that they do offer a high number of seasonal employees work after the period has ended (The first week of January). They said they would call back in three days, since they were only doing interviews that day. When the third day came around I didn't get a call, but decided I'd wait till the next day, Friday, to ask about the job, but they called Friday and hired me the job. I attended orientation the following week. The actual application process is tedious and long but once you get an interview it goes by really fast.

Interview Questions
    • We were only asked to tell them about ourselves (this consisted of basics like name, what college you were attending, what your goals were) and also if you had any questions for them, which is always recommended you do.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. They tell you during the interview the conditions of the hiring and it's minimum wage, which here in CA is $9/hr.

Replenishment Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2014.

I was transferred to my current store and the interview process was minimal. I wasn't asked much of anything except for what hours I was working at my old store. It was more about telling me how the current store was running, and about how their current replenishment team was doing.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2014.

The application process was pretty simple. I saw their ad on SnagAJob and decided to apply on their official website. Ended up getting called 2 days later and accepted their invite to an interview a couple of days later. On the day of the interview, I was surprised to realize that it was going to be a group interview! For being my first group interview, it wasn't actually too bad. The store manager told us to write our names on construction paper and decorate it with foam stickers to make a name card. After that, we were told to give a brief description about ourselves, what position we were applying for, and why we wanted to work at Michaels. A week later, I got a call from the store manager and he offered me a job.

Interview Questions
    • Describe who you are as an individual and why you want to work at Michaels?"   Answer Question
    No negotions. Minimum wage at $9.00 an hour.

Certified Framer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2014.

I applied online and received a call about a month later. I did the general application, but was chosen for a framing interview because of my degree in art (BA). The lady giving the interview was very friendly. She showed me a piece of art, then had me select several mats and frames that would look good -- a test of color and design competency. She told me that corporate needed someone who could do a hard sell on the more expensive frame choices. She asked me if I was that person (I'm not, and she said she wasn't either actually). She also needed someone to work primarily weekends, which I wasn't overly enthusiastic about. I was one of three candidates for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to upsell customers to more expensive frames, even if a cheaper frame is a better design?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moorestown, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moorestown, NJ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2014.

I applied for the job online. The application was ridiculously long, and included a lengthy survey about my individual habits, preferences, inclinations in the work place, etc. Then I called the store I was applying to to ask about an interview. They said they would call me back, which they did, a few days later. An interview was scheduled, and they told me to ask for the store manager when I arrive. The interview took place in one of their little classrooms, next to the frame shop. It was brief, painless, and the store manager basically told me that I already had the job. They would call me in a few days to give me my schedule. I called a few days later to thank the store manager for the interview, but I'm pretty sure that was unnecessary and unappreciated. I was trying to be polite, but the manager sounded irritated when I called.

Interview Questions
    • "Do you have any questions for me?" This was my first real interview, and I wasn't prepared for the question, although I know it's a typical one.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

One on one interview - basic questions. As long as you are comfortable doing physical work. Make sure you mention that. Make sure to answer clearly and positively, and that you are available at night. They'll ask if you know the basic tasks and if you can accomplish lifting, loading, climbing, and lots of walking.