Michaels Stores Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2015

1.9

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Savannah, GA) in April 2015.

Interview

It was quick and simple. They tell you what the job is honestly about and then ask you if you wanna work here. It was a very average interview, nothing to have a heart attack about, honestly.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hadley, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Hadley, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and within 2 or 3 days, had a phone interview. After speaking with the manager over the phone, I was asked to come in for a formal interview. I showed up a little early and had to wait for a different manager to become available. Finally, I was shown back to the employee area (faced with numerous interruptions) where I was asked "What do you know about Michaels, Why do you want to work here, Do you like arts&crafts?" I was hired on the spot! When I went in for orientation, it was painful. I took an overly detailed and exhausting tour of the store ("this is the yarn aisle. So if anyone asks about yarn, knitting, crocheting, uh... that kind of stuff, go here. If someone knits an afghan or a hat or a blanket or slippers, they come here. If they crochet afghans, hats, blankets or slippers or anything, show them this aisle. If they need yarn, this is it ETC ETC") Then I sat in front of the computer doing video training and safety training. The manager came in as I was working on that and kept saying to skip this or that because it wasn't important. I had to rush through the manual and training so that the other hire could begin the process. After that, I was told to watch the cashiers work and see how it's done. After about 10 minutes of standing there creepily, the cashier tells me to stand behind the register and see what she does. She then proceeded to tell me how much she hates her job, how bored she is, I watched her check FB and text and she kept saying "I'm not gonna show you this, you'll learn later." After watching her for 5 minutes, the manager asks if I'm ready to begin and puts me on a register for about 15 minutes. After that, I was told to go home and look over my packet of info. (The packet tells you more or less how to do your job, but not company policies or anything super helpful.) If you have prior cashiering experience, don't want a lot of hours or a high paycheck, go for it. Otherwise, stay away. You will be on your own with very little knowledge of how to do your job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here/What do you know about Michaels/Do you like arts&crafts?   1 Answer

Early Morning Replenishment Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Cloud, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Saint Cloud, MN) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview was relatively easy. I thought I would be hired for a daytime position, but was instead offered a position that would be working a 5-2:30pm typical shift. I was almost hired on the spot because of my interest in the position and my previous work history. It was clear that they desperately needed someone to fill the time slot.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you helped a customer solve a difficult problem.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Loveland, CO) in April 2015.

Interview

I met the store manager, he took me to the backroom for the interview which was really simple, even if the questions were slightly unexpected. At the end of the interview which couldn't have been more than 10 minutes long he said he knew everything he needed to know and offered me a position.

Interview Questions

• If you could suggest a restaurant to a customer out from out of town what would it be and why?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Cincinnati, OH).

Interview

The interview process is very easy. They ask you a little about yourself, ask if you like crafts and if so what kind. Want to know your availability. Might ask you about situations and how you would react but most interviews are around 5-10 minutes and very easy and basic questions.

Interview Questions

• What are your weakness and strengths?   1 Answer

Certified Custom Framer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

A couple weeks after I applied they contacted me for an interview. I came in a few minutes early and waited another 25. The interview lasted less than five minutes and neither of the two interviewers asked me another question beyond "so tell us a little bit about yourself". Apparently the fact that I came in on time and seemed willing and responsible was enough for them, they didn't really need to hear much more. It seemed that they really just want someone who shows up, everything else can be taught.

Replenishment Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Iowa City, IA) in March 2015.

Interview

Short and quick, basically told me what the job involved, less interview more making sure you knew what you were getting into. Took about 15 minutes she asked me 2-3 questions and the rest was telling me job duties.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time I had a good shopping experience.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Submitted application online, was called in about a week or so to come in. The usual questions: Why do you want to work here? What does customer service mean to you? and of course, What crafting do you do?

Replenishment Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Downey, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Downey, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

They interview you in the crafts room, its all very causal two managers were there but really only one was conducting the interview. Be prepare to tell them about yourself and why you want to work for Michaels. The whole thing probably didn’t take more then 10 minutes. I found out I got the job an hour later.

Interview Questions

• Where would you recommend two estranged friends to go out to eat? And Why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary wasn’t discussed it’s typically minimum wage.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview

I actually applied in July and got hired in September that is also including the time of the background check which I believe took 2 weeks. I had 2 interviews one with the store manager then another with the operations manager. It was simple and brief, I was basically hired on spot. I didn't come in for any formal training, my first day was on a busy Sunday and I was forced to learn quick.

Interview Questions

• Since it was my first job I didn't have much sales skills and I was asked to sale a chair. I was confused but, the questions was not hard.   Answer Question