Michaels Stores

263 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Floor Associate Interview

Sales Floor Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in May 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted an application and received a call about an interview within a couple days. Went in for interview with store manager and the office manager. Very casual and asked questions about previous work experience and crafting skills. Also gave several "what if" scenarios.

Interview Question – If you were helping a customer and another customer was getting agitated that they weren't being helped, how would you handle it?   Answer Question

Support Specialist Interview

Support Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on line, was called in for a face to face interview. Then was given a brief tour of the store and met some other employees. Had to wait for a background check to clear before I was put on schedule, and first week only worked 4 hours.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one. It was a take it or leave it.

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Cashier/Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for a seasonal position at Michael's last fall. The application on their website is pretty simple, however the questionnaire is very tedious. I was contacted two days later and asked to come in for an interview. The interview was an informal conversation with the store manager.

Interview Question – How do you deal with difficult people?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Manchester, CT

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – I had one interview with the store manager. He was friendly and very clear on expectations. He was also flexible with my availability. This was the easiest interview I've ever had.

Interview Question – There really weren't any difficult questions. Anyone who has worked customer service or helped others in any capacity would be able to answer the common sense questions that were asked during the interview.   Answer Question

Program Manager - Mobile/Marketing Interview

Program Manager - Mobile/Marketing
Irving, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online on their career site. HR contacted me within 3 days and an initial phone interview was set up with the hiring manager. She seemed smart, capable and had a clear long-term vision, and seemed like a person who wanted to get work done. At the end of the phone interview, she wanted me to come in for an in-person interview for the next round .

This was scheduled a week out, and I met with senior leadership from IT department. It was one of the most unprofessional interviews. Over 4 hours, I met with 6 different people - couple were good, couple were OK, and a couple seemed like they weren't interested in the interview; probably due to the fact that the organization was slated to be reorganized that very morning. As a result the position was put on hold temporarily, but they wanted me to come in anyway since the interview was scheduled.

There were several red flags along the way but the biggest turn-off was the fact that they bashed their own Marketing department. A particular interviewer said "they (marketing department) has their head up their *expletive* ".

Corporate culture seemed to be completely absent - something very important to me. There seemed to be a ton of friction between marketing and IT departments.

Net-net, sounded like Michaels' needs culture and fix department differences if they need to thrive in digital space; working there at this time sounds like career suicide. I was very exited about this opportunity after the initial phone interview, but was very disappointment in the end after meeting the leadership team.

Sounds like they're the only ones limiting their own progress. I wish them luck!

Interview Question – Nothing particularly. One interviewer started asking detailed technical questions around back-end systems.   View Answer

Part Time Replenishment Associate Interview

Part Time Replenishment Associate
Brookfield, CT

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – The interview was basic. I was asked about my previous experience. Some situational questions concerning how I would handle customers and problems. There was no script or company guidelines.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at this level.

Cashier, Sales Associate Interview

Cashier, Sales Associate
Charleston, SC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Michaels Stores in May 2011.

Interview Details – Basically we just sat in an open room and I was interviewed in front of 5 other people. You should wear something nice-casual to the interview. Khakis and a tucked in shirt with dark sneakers are ok for men; women can wear the same or a nice blouse untucked with khakis and attractive shoes (not heels), skirts are ok too. Keep it tasteful and for God's sake, don't show up knowing nothing about the company or not having questions! The interview is a 2-way process and you need to ask questions even if you know the answer or don't care. Sit up straight - managers like to see that you are paying attention to them when they're talking. Do not chew gum, bring candy, food or drinks. Don't bring your phone into the interview with you - leave it locked up in your car if you have to. Always bring at least 2 hard copies of your resume and list of references. If you're really nervous and I mean really, I would advise taking something to calm you down because managers like to see you act confident. Please don't drink alcohol before the interview or stay up all night beforehand partying...trust me, they can smell it on you no matter how hard you showered. Tattoos and piercings are acceptable in some stores but for the interview, try to look at least a little like you have your life together. If the manager asks if you've applied anywhere else, just say no. Don't entertain his thought that you don't care by adding on to the end of the conversation, "Yeah, like 5 other places. And they pay better than here too." Michaels is one of the few companies that doesn't drug test. Just throwing that out there.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little about yourself.   View Answer
  • What kind of crafts do you like to do?   View Answer
  • Would you plan on moving up in the company if you got this position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – If you're desperate for work, try not to pay attention to the pay at first because it stinks and it'll get better. If you're just looking for something to fill your time, remember you have other options and this isn't the last craft store on the planet.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Sales Associate/Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2012.

Interview Details – I met with the manager at the front of the store then we went into the back class room for the interview. They went over the application then asked the standard questions, what made you choose this job? Here's a scenario how would you react? things like that. Then the pulled out a booklet and asked a few more questions and they rate how they liked your answer.
P.S. smiling a lot really helps if you want this job, I was an hour late to my interview and because I was really polite and smiled I got the job. Having a awesome smile helps.
When that was over, i think it was 2 weeks later or a week late I got called in for orientation.

Interview Question – This wasn't difficult but at the time I thought it was.

You are helping a customer and another customer tells you she has been waiting for help for 10 minutes and you can tell she is getting impatient. As you are walking over to show the customer the item the other one is being rude and trying to get you to help them first. How do you react?
  Answer Question

Replenishment Associate Interview

Replenishment Associate
Battle Creek, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores in February 2013.

Interview Details – Personal interview and hired

Interview Question – Is management too demanding for the compensation?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Take it or leave it

Very Easy Interview

Replenishment Interview

Replenishment
Gainesville, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call for an interview about 2 weeks later. Interview was a few days after the phone call and lasted 10-15 minutes. Only real question that was asked was if I was willing to work early morning hours. Got a call about a week later telling me which date orientation was.