Michaels Stores Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

1.9

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vallejo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Vallejo, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very short and concise. When I went in for my interview It was basically just the interviewer telling me the job description, what my job would entail, and what kind of personality that would compliment the job (So don't worry about getting grilled or anything). It lasted about 15 to 20 minutes at the most, and was not at all stressful or intimidating.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in League City, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores (League City, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

My interview went really well. She asked me if i ever had a job before. I got asked what is my hobby. Where have i had a good and bad experience. What hours and days can i work.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chambersburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Chambersburg, PA) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online and I got a call back within a week (can't remember exactly how many days). I had one interview on a Thursday with the store manager. I didn't have to answer many questions because she spent the whole time outlining the job and my expected duties. She covered everything, so I didn't need to ask any questions either. They called me and gave me an offer the next Monday.

Interview Questions

• She asked if I was outgoing enough to help customers figure out what they need to complete their projects and not just show them where something is because some customers don't know what they're looking for when they come in.   1 Answer

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niles, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Niles, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

very quick and informal. I got a call back after three days of finishing their lengthy onnline employment survey and was told to wait for the manager by a cashier. I stood for a good 7 minutes before being greeted by the most boring suburban looking man with a quick handshake. I was nervous but it was over fast, he asked why I am no longer employed at my previous job, about my hours, made sure I knew i was seasonal. Smiled only once. He seemed super rushed.

Interview Questions

• So, why don't you work for _____ anymore? You put down new management, what happened?   1 Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2014.

Interview

The application process is done through peoplesoft program and includes a personality assessment portion. I interviewed at a couple locations and interview questions were similar and standard questions (weaknesses, strengths, what is customer service to you?) The first interview lasted less than 5 minutes (I had to wait for the manager to get there because he was late) and the other ran longer approximately 20-30 minutes.

Make good eye contact and have a positive disposition and you will get the job :)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate pay, regardless of prior experience. There is a set pay scale for the corporation based heavily on sales.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online after a newspaper ad got passed around encouraging people to apply for seasonal positions. After about 2-3 weeks I got a call from my local store's hiring department asking if I was still interested, and if the hours I said I was available for were still accurate. I said they were, and was invited to come in for an interview a few days later. If I could have every single job interview I'll ever have to do go like it did, I'll die happy. I was sat in a small back room with two employees and it was more casual than I was expecting, very warm and friendly people. I mentioned all the crafting hobbies I have and they seemed very interested in that. 20-ish minutes later I was done, and literally three hours later I got a call back offering a position, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Interviewer was very firm that pay would be minimum wage, with the possibility of a raise if I got hired full-time.

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2014.

Interview

This was a group interview. It was scheduled for 11:00, but for some reason the interviewer started 15 minutes early and treated on time arrivals as though they were holding her up. We were, also asked detailed questions involving company policies we had no way of answering. We made our best answers, only to be repeatedly told, "that's not store policy". After the third such question, the interviewer remarked that she didn't shop at Joann's, only Michaels.

Interview Questions

• The oddest question was, "What would you do if a customer handed you a $50 or $100 for a $3-$5 purchase? We expect you to show some common sense here,"   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Park, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Cedar Park, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received a call about setting up an interview two days later. I missed the call and wasn't able to schedule an interview until the next day. Two days after the initial call, I interviewed in person with the manager. We talked about my previous experience and whether I had retail or customer service experience. I was hired on the spot for a receiver position, not a cashier position, but with the possibility of being a cashier at a later date.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was offered a receiving position. Salary is non negotiable but I got a higher rate of pay than the average starting employee because of my previous experience.

Seasonal Replenishment Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online. And got a call back a month later, by that time I had completely forgot i appllied to Michaels and which position. I interview with two people -- one the Replenishment Manager, the other the Store Manger. Very easy, and swift. Asked if I could work varing shifts and rotating schedule. I could and after a background check I accepted the job for a measly 8.00 an hour.

Interview Questions

• Asked -- Tell me about yourself? Why Michaels? and what does initiative mean to me?   Answer Question

Material Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores (Jacksonville, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Got a call back did a phone interview which was pretty long and drawn out and you are asked to come in and talk with a hiring manager and they walk you around the warehouse but definitely only shows you the easy positions. Asks basic interview questions then wait a few days for your background check and then once it comes back they call you for your orientation date.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Do you have experience with doing that type of work etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non-negotiable