Michaels Stores

Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Huntington, WV

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2012.

Interview Details – Quite a long on-line application. Takes a while to hear anything back, Interview was quick and perfunctory. If you can pass the application process and seem minimally responsible you can get the job. Showing up on-time for your shift is paramount.

Interview Question – None. I was immediately offered the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiating at the entry level position.

Associate Interview

Everett, MA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2011.

Interview Details – Online application was tedious, in person interview was great

Interview Question – Why would I leave my current position?   View Answer

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Chesapeake, VA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online through SnagAJob. I read a few of the reviews about the interview process on here and decided to wait a bit for them to call and schedule an interview. 5 days later, I went to the store and turned in my resume to the manager. She told me that they would check to see if they had openings in the schedule to interview me because they were doing interviews that exact day. Then she scheduled me an appointment for 2 hours later. I went in 5 minutes early when my interviewer came out and took me back to the classroom in the back of the store. She asked me questions about my experiences and then asked if I had questions. Once this was all over, she told me they would run a background check and then call me. I was very pleased to hear this. A week after this happened, I got a little nervous because they still hadn't contacted me. I decided to call the store. I was informed that they were still running background checks and would be making calls to schedule orientation once they were completed. That was two days ago and this morning I got a call. They asked me to come in tomorrow morning for an interview. I am not sure what will happen yet, but I'm confident it will go well.
Just remember, you're looking for a job. Be proactive, but not obnoxious. Have confidence in your ability!

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to bend the rules to accomplish a goal?   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – basic interview questions like the kind you would see on an interview prep guide

Interview Question – name a time when you had to use a short cut   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in March 2013.

Interview Details – Called to come in for inter IWW within a week of applying online. Interview was very laid back and took about 1/2 hour.

Interview Question – Describe a time you had to deal with an angry customer. What happened and how did you resolve their complaint.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Starting pay was fixed.

Part Time Replenishment Associate Interview

Part Time Replenishment Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – I applied online, and the next day I was called to set up an interview. The interview was the following week. The Replenishment Manager interviewed me in the classroom, asked a few questions. "Tell me about yourself" "Tell me about the time you had to deal with a difficult customer."

I got the idea that there was a high turnover rate after I asked about the size of the replenishment team (and the person who was hired with me quit after a week.) I got hired on the spot, but the hiring process was very annoying being that the store manager didn't know what they were doing. Messed my information up and took weeks for it to fix. Didn't tell me much of anything about the store, their policies, what the job really entailed, etc.. but was expected to have known all of this by my first day at work.

Interview Question – Questions weren't difficult at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Replenishment Associate Interview

Replenishment Associate
Sebring, FL

I applied online - interviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a call to come in, had a one on one interview with the store manager, was called back a few days later for orientation.

Interview Question – They were all pretty basic questions.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2012.

Interview Details – A manager called me and left a message (wanted to interview me) on my cell. I called them back at least twice and was told by an employee that they would give the manager my name and number and that I would be contacted shortly. I never heard back from the manager and therefore didn't even get to go to the interview. I even tried going into the store to speak with the manager and the employees were rude and told me to just call again.

Interview Question – I never got an interview, but the skills test/application was very tedious. I was honestly surprised that anyone could pass it.   Answer Question

Certified Custom Framer Interview

Certified Custom Framer
Beachwood, OH

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Michaels Stores in April 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called for an interview three days later. The store manager asked me one question and then talked about the history of Michaels Stores and what the position would entail. He didn't turn his headset off so throughout the interview he would stop talking or interrupt me to answer a question on the headset. He asked if I would be able to start the following week and said I would hear from him within three days.

The entire process took about ten minutes. The manager seemed incredibly cocky, from his refusal to turn the headset off to his gushing about how great his store was. He often talked over me or seemed like he wasn't really listening.

Interview Question – The only question I was asked was why I wanted to work at Michaels.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I assumed I had gotten the job when he asked if I could start the next week. After a week with no call, I tried contacting him and could not get a hold of him. About a month later I received a call offering me the job, but I had decided it was not an environment I wanted to work in.

Vero Beach, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called for an interview about two weeks later. The interview went wonderfully and the hiring manager said I would most likely be the person he hired. We even talked about where he'd be putting me. He didn't call me when he said he would, and when I tried to call him he was difficult to get a hold of. Eventually, when I called a second time (over a week after my interview), he said that they'd keep my application and probably hire me later in the year. Needless to say, I don't expect to actually be contacted for a job.

Interview Question – They really want people who are super into arts and crafts. Over the last few years, my productivity in arts and crafts have waned in favor of other pursuits, so I had to exaggerate a bit.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Michaels Stores