Michaels Stores Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2015

1.9

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Millbury, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Millbury, MA).

Interview

I filled out an application online and called in about a week later to inquire about the status of it. I got an interview scheduled in about 2 weeks from application submission. Interview was really easy. My manager had me read packets for expected work of a cashier and a sales associate and make sure I could do all of it. He asked me a few basic interview questions. Ex. Tell me about a previous work/school experience where you worked as a team. He pretty much hired me on the spot, told me I did well and would call me in about an hour. Which he did, and he hired me then. I started work after about 3 weeks from when I sent in the application.

Interview Questions

• Honestly all of the questions were very simple. The interview was only about 10 mins long. I can't remember anything sticking out because of how easily they came to me.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't exactly a negotiation process. He called me and told me he was hiring me, I had to ask what position. He didn't even tell me what the hiring wage was.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Manchester, CT).

Interview

I had one interview with the store manager. He was friendly and very clear on expectations. He was also flexible with my availability. This was the easiest interview I've ever had.

Interview Questions

• There really weren't any difficult questions. Anyone who has worked customer service or helped others in any capacity would be able to answer the common sense questions that were asked during the interview.   Answer Question

Part Time Replenishment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookfield, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Brookfield, CT).

Interview

The interview was basic. I was asked about my previous experience. Some situational questions concerning how I would handle customers and problems. There was no script or company guidelines.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation at this level.

Program Manager - Mobile/Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Irving, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied online on their career site. HR contacted me within 3 days and an initial phone interview was set up with the hiring manager. She seemed smart, capable and had a clear long-term vision, and seemed like a person who wanted to get work done. At the end of the phone interview, she wanted me to come in for an in-person interview for the next round .

This was scheduled a week out, and I met with senior leadership from IT department. It was one of the most unprofessional interviews. Over 4 hours, I met with 6 different people - couple were good, couple were OK, and a couple seemed like they weren't interested in the interview; probably due to the fact that the organization was slated to be reorganized that very morning. As a result the position was put on hold temporarily, but they wanted me to come in anyway since the interview was scheduled.

There were several red flags along the way but the biggest turn-off was the fact that they bashed their own Marketing department. A particular interviewer said "they (marketing department) has their head up their *expletive* ".

Corporate culture seemed to be completely absent - something very important to me. There seemed to be a ton of friction between marketing and IT departments.

Net-net, sounded like Michaels' needs culture and fix department differences if they need to thrive in digital space; working there at this time sounds like career suicide. I was very exited about this opportunity after the initial phone interview, but was very disappointment in the end after meeting the leadership team.

Sounds like they're the only ones limiting their own progress. I wish them luck!

Interview Questions

• Nothing particularly. One interviewer started asking detailed technical questions around back-end systems.   1 Answer

Sales Floor Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores in May 2014.

Interview

Submitted an application and received a call about an interview within a couple days. Went in for interview with store manager and the office manager. Very casual and asked questions about previous work experience and crafting skills. Also gave several "what if" scenarios.

Interview Questions

• If you were helping a customer and another customer was getting agitated that they weren't being helped, how would you handle it?   Answer Question

Floral Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ocoee, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Ocoee, FL) in May 2014.

Interview

Manager contacted me by phone months after I had applied. I told him I was only interested in full time. He said even though it was part time he could pay me more than where I am currently working (a competitor). I decided I would go ahead and set up an interview. Rushed over after finishing my shift and got there early. Took the toll road so I could make it on time. Manager was more than an hour late. He was out running errands. The only reason I stayed was because I had already come all the way across town and didn't want to reschedule. After telling me how important the position is and how it's a money maker for the store he told me again he could pay me more than what I was making. I'm paid right now 10.00/hr. He offered me 10.85. What a joke! I told him the minimum I would accept was 12.00/hr. That's what the florist who taught me was paid back in 1998 when I worked at another craft store.

Interview Questions

• He asked me how many arrangements I could make in a day.   1 Answer

Part Time Replenishment Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores in April 2014.

Interview

They called me on the phone offered me an interview went in for the interview. The interview lasted for about 15 minutes. They told me they contact me if I got the job. Two days later I got a call from the manager she said they were in my background check and get back with me. About a week later I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult person and describe how you handled the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skokie, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Skokie, IL) in April 2014.

Interview

They called and asked that I come in for an interview. When I went in, they asked a few questions and then went on to what my duties would be and all the details as if I were already hired. I was basically hired without knowledge of being hired. There was no, "would you like this position," or "we would love for you to join our team." It was rushed.

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview

mostly situational questions. some behavioral and past employee experiences. Roughly 30 minutes. Managers have a worksheet that has all the questions to ask the employee.

Replenishment Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview

applied online then called not to long after came in was told what the job entailed and if I was interested.