Michaels Stores Interview Questions in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jun 28, 2015

1.8

Cashier, Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tustin, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Tustin, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

You apply online. I received a call about half a month after I applied. I had a quick phone interview then was asked to come in for an official one. I walked into the store, told the cashier there that I was there for an interview. They introduced me to the manager of human affairs who called the assistant manager over. He asked me what brought me to michaels, and what position I would prefer. He then described the company, what their goals are, said I basically had the job and have a nice day. Easiest interview I've ever had. Probably because they are hugely understaffed right now because of summer vacation.

Replenishment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downey, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Downey, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

They interview you in the crafts room, its all very causal two managers were there but really only one was conducting the interview. Be prepare to tell them about yourself and why you want to work for Michaels. The whole thing probably didn’t take more then 10 minutes. I found out I got the job an hour later.

Interview Questions

• Where would you recommend two estranged friends to go out to eat? And Why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary wasn’t discussed it’s typically minimum wage.

Sales Associate/Cashier/Replenishment Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Habra, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores (La Habra, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I was surprised by a group interview, the last time I went (2-4 years ago) they only used to do one on one interviews. So be prepared for that. Also, they will ask everyone different questions, try to stay calm and try to think of multiple ways of answering. Make yourself sound resourceful, I made the mistake of answering too quickly because I was a little nervous. The interviewers try to be friendly and remind you to smile the entire time. Try to avoid saying "Um" "Like" a lot. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• If you're not keeping up, what do you do?   1 Answer

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Huntington Beach, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

The application process was pretty simple. I saw their ad on SnagAJob and decided to apply on their official website. Ended up getting called 2 days later and accepted their invite to an interview a couple of days later. On the day of the interview, I was surprised to realize that it was going to be a group interview! For being my first group interview, it wasn't actually too bad. The store manager told us to write our names on construction paper and decorate it with foam stickers to make a name card. After that, we were told to give a brief description about ourselves, what position we were applying for, and why we wanted to work at Michaels. A week later, I got a call from the store manager and he offered me a job.

Interview Questions

• Describe who you are as an individual and why you want to work at Michaels?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotions. Minimum wage at $9.00 an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Torrance, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied online. The application included a personality questionnaire. Was called about a week later for an interview. When I went into the interview, I was told it would be in a group setting, which was unexpected and I wish they'd said so on the phone. The manager who was supposed to be doing the interview wasn't there, and I waited with three other candidates in the employee breakroom for about half an hour for the other manager to come interview us. The actual interview was super casual, mostly asked us what "good customer service" means and whether we were interested in day or night shifts. About a week after that, I got another call saying I was hired.

Interview Questions

• "Do you like thinking about how to make things? For example, if a customer had a specific project they were trying to make but didn't know how to achieve the end result, would you enjoy brainstorming with them to help them find what they need?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Jewelry & Painting Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palmdale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Palmdale, CA).

Interview

The interview was very easy, and they expect to see some pieces you've made. I got the job easily, but realized there was a catch.

In order to obtain students you must DO YOUR OWN ADVERTISING. This means making posters and hanging them around the store. One girl was very good at it. She had crocheted samples on her posters. This would be ok with me except jewelry crafting is expensive. It was a lot of work to me.

As for training, it is online and takes a little while. Be prepared to print A LOT. But overall fairly easy.

Interview Questions

• N/A. I got the feeling they were desperate for a teacher.   Answer Question

I did not want to advertise myself.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Pasadena, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

Applied online. Was called a few days later to schedule an interview with the store manager. Interview process was quick and easy. Hired on the spot.

Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Woodland Hills, CA).

Interview

I applied online and within a couple of days they called and scheduled an interview. I was interviewed in a different location than the store I applied to. The interview lasted no more than 10 minutes. It was the standard questions - why do you want to work here, what are your past experiences, etc. It was pretty simple.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Michaels Stores (Hawthorne, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

I applied online for Replinishment Associate, but ended up getting hired for Sales/Cashier. I got a call from them a week after I applied and was asked a couple of questions over the phone and then told to come in for an interview a couple days later. It was a group interview with about 10 other people and we were interviewed by the manager and assistant manager. The interview took an hour and then I was told right after the interview that I was hired and was told what I'd be making. The orientation was a week later and that took about 3 hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores (Hawthorne, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

Easy. One on one interview. Basic personality and common sense questions (i.e. how would you handle an angry customer?).