Michaels Stores Replenishment Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 3, 2015

1.8

Anonymous Employee in Hurst, TX
Anonymous Employee in Hurst, TX

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores in May 2012.

I applied online. Previously the only way to apply was by going to the store, but apparently Michaels has contracted with an online hiring company, and now there is an extensive skills/personality test. I received a call the same day to interview the following day. I arrived at the store 10 minutes early and told the cashier who I was, and then I walked around the store for close to half an hour. I finally met with the hiring manager, who seemed kind of stressed and flustered. She told me the hours were starting at 3 or 4 a.m. and asked if I was okay with that, and I agreed. She told me it was "hard, dirty" work unloading the truck, and that it was hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I was asked some standard questions that were printed on her interview form, such as how would I define initiative and how often I thought someone should be late to work. I was told my test scores were unusually good. She also said that she had other interviews scheduled which she had to do, and that it would be almost a week before letting me know, but that if I didn't hear from her not to get anxious. I sent a note of thanks once I got home that day, and I waited more than a week but never heard anything. The whole thing was basically a waste of time. I wasted a week thinking I would get hired there, when I could have been looking and applying for other jobs. I was fooled by the interviewer because she acted like she was going to hire me. My advice is if they don't hire you on the spot, don't count on it.

Interview Questions
  • How would you define initiative?   View Answer
  • Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer, and how did you deal with it.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Michaels Stores

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2012.

I applied to Michael's online. Approximately 5 weeks later I got the call to come in and interview. A manager showed me around the store and briefly explained the system in which they organize the merchandise. Then the actual interview was held in the break room. It lasted less than twenty minutes. I was told that I would get a call after he spoke with the co-manager. I was called about three hours later and offered the position.

My interview was pretty basic:
    Describe world class customer service.
    Do you think employees with seniority should be paid more?
    Why do you want to work at Michael's?
    How would you handle a conflict between you and your manager?

Replenishment Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Michaels Stores in July 2012.

Interview was one-on-one with store manager in the room used for classes. She read from several pages of interview questions. She wrote down my responses.

Some of the questions asked were:
    "Please explain any gaps in employment."
    "What does customer service mean to you?"
    "Explain how you would approach a customer."
    "Why do you want to work for Michael's?"
    "Do you feel promotions should be based on seniority or performance?"

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in which you had a disagreement with a manager. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

I declined the offer because I desired full-time employment and the position was only part-time.

Replenishment Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interviewed by store manager. Positive experience. No hard or too personal questions

Interview Questions
    • Questions about problems related to a managers position even if i was applying for framers position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sebring, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sebring, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2013.

Applied online, got a call to come in, had a one on one interview with the store manager, was called back a few days later for orientation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, RI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, RI

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores.

Was contacted by phone after filling out an online application. Scheduled an interview for two days later, went in and was hired.

Interview Questions
    • Wasn't asked a difficult question but was asked to work some very unpleasant hours.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Union City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Union City, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores in January 2015.

Applied though Michael's website and took a personality assessment. Got a call about 2 weeks later to come in for an interview. Did the interview and came back a week later with my identification papers and was ready to start working.

Interview Questions
    There's no negotiation unless you've had experience in retail before. Minimum wage is where they start you off.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moorestown, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moorestown, NJ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2014.

I applied for the job online. The application was ridiculously long, and included a lengthy survey about my individual habits, preferences, inclinations in the work place, etc. Then I called the store I was applying to to ask about an interview. They said they would call me back, which they did, a few days later. An interview was scheduled, and they told me to ask for the store manager when I arrive. The interview took place in one of their little classrooms, next to the frame shop. It was brief, painless, and the store manager basically told me that I already had the job. They would call me in a few days to give me my schedule. I called a few days later to thank the store manager for the interview, but I'm pretty sure that was unnecessary and unappreciated. I was trying to be polite, but the manager sounded irritated when I called.

Interview Questions
    • "Do you have any questions for me?" This was my first real interview, and I wasn't prepared for the question, although I know it's a typical one.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Battle Creek, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Battle Creek, MI

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores in February 2013.

Personal interview and hired

Interview Questions
    • Is management too demanding for the compensation?   View Answer
    Take it or leave it

Replenishment Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2014.

I applied online, filling out a questionnaire/survey in the process. The interview questions were the usual ones like, "Tell me about yourself and what brings you to Michaels". I was also asked if I was okay with handling money and standing for hours, which was odd because I didn't apply for cashier. I was also asked about available times. At the end, I was told that I would be called for a second interview if I fit the position.