Michaels Stores Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Oct 1, 2014

2.0

51 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores.

This may be an oddball experience, but an old acquaintance of mine was a manager (I had no idea she even worked here) and just so happened to come across my application. I didn't know she would be conducting the interview, much less that she even worked at the store, until I walked in the interviewing room. It was pretty awkward. She had a packet with several formulaic interview questions, such that assess one's customer service skill and behavior ("Describe a time when you had to help an angry customer" or "Do you enjoy working as part of a team?", plenty of "Why or why not?" questions, etc.). But because she knew me, she skipped over a lot of them. Lasted around 5 to 10 minutes. I got a happy call about 1 week later.

Interview Questions
  • Not so much a particular question that was difficult or unexpected, just the overall scenario of the interview.   View Answer
She called about 1 week later and said, "Uh, we'd like you to be here next Monday for orientation. Is that cool?" and I was like, "Yeah, I guess."

Other Interview Reviews for Michaels Stores

Sales Associate Interview

Did two online assessments after the application. One was timed, the other was not. The timed assessment has math and English multiple choice questions, and the other one just has a personality test (Strongly Agree, Slightly Agree, Neutral, etc.) Still waiting for them to review my application.

Interview Questions
    • The online assessment was timed (10 minutes) and has a lot of math and English questions. Be prepared for some word problems too.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Millbury, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Millbury, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores.

I filled out an application online and called in about a week later to inquire about the status of it. I got an interview scheduled in about 2 weeks from application submission. Interview was really easy. My manager had me read packets for expected work of a cashier and a sales associate and make sure I could do all of it. He asked me a few basic interview questions. Ex. Tell me about a previous work/school experience where you worked as a team. He pretty much hired me on the spot, told me I did well and would call me in about an hour. Which he did, and he hired me then. I started work after about 3 weeks from when I sent in the application.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly all of the questions were very simple. The interview was only about 10 mins long. I can't remember anything sticking out because of how easily they came to me.   Answer Question
    There wasn't exactly a negotiation process. He called me and told me he was hiring me, I had to ask what position. He didn't even tell me what the hiring wage was.

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores.

You have to fill out the application online, you can't just hand in resume at the store with the manager. It was a simple interview, about 45 minutes in length, basic interview questions, focused on experience with customer service. They asked the popular questions asked and I had to complete an aptitude test.

Interview Questions
    • when did you make a change that you were given a resistance from   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores in February 2014.

They sat me down and it felt more like I was chatting with a friend, and asked me why I felt I was prepared to work here. There were times when I felt that this interview was more of a getting to know you experience. I was extremely overqualified for the position but had recently been let go by my previous employer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in which you have had to deal with a difficult situation.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conyers, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conyers, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores.

I applied online on the Michaels website during the holiday season. I received a phone call requesting an interview 2 days later. We scheduled it for the afternoon and I went in a few days later. I interviewed with the manager and it was very laid back. Just basic questions such as "Why do you want to work here?" "Why do you think you would be a good fit for us?" Nothing difficult. It was a very laid back interview. She asked me about my previous job experience and asked me to explain my duties in those positions. The whole interview took about 20 minutes. Of course for the last 5-10 minutes was us just chatting and joking around.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brewster, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brewster, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores.

First I had to wait around for the interviewer for quite some time after the scheduled appointment. Then the interview was a whole boatload of questions nearly identical to the ones in the online app. Took about an hour. Halfway through the interview I started getting the feeling that this wasn't the place for me - based on the people working and the overall atmosphere of the store.

Interview Questions
    • As I said, they were all pretty much the same questions as on the application. The interview seemed like a total waste of time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Snellville, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Snellville, GA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Michaels Stores in November 2013.

Very easy. Applied online

Told u min wage

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at Michaels Stores.

I applied online through SnagAJob and was called for an interview a few months later. I went in and talked to a manager. She asked me basic interview questions, she seemed cocky, lasted about 20 minutes and I left. A few months later I was called by another manager for a 2nd interview, she asked same questions again this 1 lasted about 10 minutes and she made me an offer for the job, told me the wage, hours available ( I accepted) and that she would do a background check and call me in a couple days with my schedule. Noone ever called, so I called them...got her on the phone and she said that the background check waa clear and my application must have got lost in a mix-up and that she didn't know why I was not called. She said they already hired all help needed for the season, but if 1 person quit she would call me 1st thing to get me started.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. I was given an offer and they said there was a mix-up so they took it back.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2013.

Called after completing an online application. In person interview was very basic and less than 15 minutes. Mostly to confirm that you will show up and aren't a total nutcase.