Michaels Stores

Average Difficulty
47 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied online - interviewed at Michaels Stores in February 2014.

Interview Details – They sat me down and it felt more like I was chatting with a friend, and asked me why I felt I was prepared to work here. There were times when I felt that this interview was more of a getting to know you experience. I was extremely overqualified for the position but had recently been let go by my previous employer.

Interview Question – Describe a time in which you have had to deal with a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Chattanooga, TN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in January 2013.

Interview Details – Called two weeks after applying and was interviewed at an older store. Sat down with the manager of the older store in their classroom and was asked about previous employers and past experience.

Negotiation Details – Nothing

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2011.

Interview Details – Only form of hiring process was via online application. Did not call me and when I went into my local store to try and follow up with someone, I was directed to "go apply online".

Interview Question – The online application asked very general questions like something you would be asked in a mock interview at school.   Answer Question

Pittsford, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2011.

Interview Details – They only check your resume if you submit it, then go in to check it about a week later. The interview is very basic, you just fill out some paperwork and the assistant manager asks you some basic questions such as "why do you want to work here?" and "do you have experience with art supplies". It's very low-key and low-pressure, and as long as you're polite, you should do well.

Interview Question – Nothing was out of the ordinary. It was the standard "describe your past retail experience" and "do you shop here?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. It was for minimum wage and they were set on it only being that.

Millbury, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – I filled out an application online and called in about a week later to inquire about the status of it. I got an interview scheduled in about 2 weeks from application submission. Interview was really easy. My manager had me read packets for expected work of a cashier and a sales associate and make sure I could do all of it. He asked me a few basic interview questions. Ex. Tell me about a previous work/school experience where you worked as a team. He pretty much hired me on the spot, told me I did well and would call me in about an hour. Which he did, and he hired me then. I started work after about 3 weeks from when I sent in the application.

Interview Question – Honestly all of the questions were very simple. The interview was only about 10 mins long. I can't remember anything sticking out because of how easily they came to me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't exactly a negotiation process. He called me and told me he was hiring me, I had to ask what position. He didn't even tell me what the hiring wage was.

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – You have to fill out the application online, you can't just hand in resume at the store with the manager. It was a simple interview, about 45 minutes in length, basic interview questions, focused on experience with customer service. They asked the popular questions asked and I had to complete an aptitude test.

Interview Question – when did you make a change that you were given a resistance from   Answer Question

Lexington, KY

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2010.

Interview Details – I put in an application online. I got called about 2 days later from the store manager asking me to come in for an interview. I had never really been in the store before and didn't know the dress code and what the appropriate attire would be for an interview. I chose a cardigan, dark wash denim pants, and flats and that seemed to be fine. I went into the interview a few days after the call. It was held in the classroom at the front of the store and the manager was ready to start when I got there. She basically went through my application, asking the same questions that were on there. It was my first job interview ever, so I was extremely nervous, but the manager was very friendly and made me feel comfortable. After we went through the application I was offered the job on the spot and set up when I would come in for my first day.

Interview Question – What is something that would provide a more enjoyable workplace?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – At the time of the interview I was living out of town, but getting ready to move into the area for school. The manager was very understanding that I would need some time before I could officially start work.

Newark, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2013.

Interview Details – Interesting interview, nothing specific stood out..

Interview Question – Normal questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – pay was too low

Snellville, GA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Michaels Stores in November 2013.

Interview Details – Very easy. Applied online

Negotiation Details – Told u min wage

Conyers, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – I applied online on the Michaels website during the holiday season. I received a phone call requesting an interview 2 days later. We scheduled it for the afternoon and I went in a few days later. I interviewed with the manager and it was very laid back. Just basic questions such as "Why do you want to work here?" "Why do you think you would be a good fit for us?" Nothing difficult. It was a very laid back interview. She asked me about my previous job experience and asked me to explain my duties in those positions. The whole interview took about 20 minutes. Of course for the last 5-10 minutes was us just chatting and joking around.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!