Michaels Stores

Getting the Interview

42 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – You have to fill out the application online, you can't just hand in resume at the store with the manager. It was a simple interview, about 45 minutes in length, basic interview questions, focused on experience with customer service. They asked the popular questions asked and I had to complete an aptitude test.

Interview Question – when did you make a change that you were given a resistance from   Answer Question

Lexington, KY

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2010.

Interview Details – I put in an application online. I got called about 2 days later from the store manager asking me to come in for an interview. I had never really been in the store before and didn't know the dress code and what the appropriate attire would be for an interview. I chose a cardigan, dark wash denim pants, and flats and that seemed to be fine. I went into the interview a few days after the call. It was held in the classroom at the front of the store and the manager was ready to start when I got there. She basically went through my application, asking the same questions that were on there. It was my first job interview ever, so I was extremely nervous, but the manager was very friendly and made me feel comfortable. After we went through the application I was offered the job on the spot and set up when I would come in for my first day.

Interview Question – What is something that would provide a more enjoyable workplace?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – At the time of the interview I was living out of town, but getting ready to move into the area for school. The manager was very understanding that I would need some time before I could officially start work.

Newark, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2013.

Interview Details – Interesting interview, nothing specific stood out..

Interview Question – Normal questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – pay was too low

Snellville, GA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Michaels Stores in November 2013.

Interview Details – Very easy. Applied online

Negotiation Details – Told u min wage

Very Easy Interview

Conyers, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – I applied online on the Michaels website during the holiday season. I received a phone call requesting an interview 2 days later. We scheduled it for the afternoon and I went in a few days later. I interviewed with the manager and it was very laid back. Just basic questions such as "Why do you want to work here?" "Why do you think you would be a good fit for us?" Nothing difficult. It was a very laid back interview. She asked me about my previous job experience and asked me to explain my duties in those positions. The whole interview took about 20 minutes. Of course for the last 5-10 minutes was us just chatting and joking around.

Brewster, NY

I applied online and interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – First I had to wait around for the interviewer for quite some time after the scheduled appointment. Then the interview was a whole boatload of questions nearly identical to the ones in the online app. Took about an hour. Halfway through the interview I started getting the feeling that this wasn't the place for me - based on the people working and the overall atmosphere of the store.

Interview Question – As I said, they were all pretty much the same questions as on the application. The interview seemed like a total waste of time.   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 10 months - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – I applied online through SnagAJob and was called for an interview a few months later. I went in and talked to a manager. She asked me basic interview questions, she seemed cocky, lasted about 20 minutes and I left. A few months later I was called by another manager for a 2nd interview, she asked same questions again this 1 lasted about 10 minutes and she made me an offer for the job, told me the wage, hours available ( I accepted) and that she would do a background check and call me in a couple days with my schedule. Noone ever called, so I called them...got her on the phone and she said that the background check waa clear and my application must have got lost in a mix-up and that she didn't know why I was not called. She said they already hired all help needed for the season, but if 1 person quit she would call me 1st thing to get me started.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to multi-task?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was given an offer and they said there was a mix-up so they took it back.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – basic interview questions like the kind you would see on an interview prep guide

Interview Question – name a time when you had to use a short cut   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in March 2013.

Interview Details – Called to come in for inter IWW within a week of applying online. Interview was very laid back and took about 1/2 hour.

Interview Question – Describe a time you had to deal with an angry customer. What happened and how did you resolve their complaint.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Starting pay was fixed.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2012.

Interview Details – A manager called me and left a message (wanted to interview me) on my cell. I called them back at least twice and was told by an employee that they would give the manager my name and number and that I would be contacted shortly. I never heard back from the manager and therefore didn't even get to go to the interview. I even tried going into the store to speak with the manager and the employees were rude and told me to just call again.

Interview Question – I never got an interview, but the skills test/application was very tedious. I was honestly surprised that anyone could pass it.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Michaels Stores

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michaels Stores Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 42 interview reviews posted anonymously by Michaels Stores employees and interview candidates.