Michaels Stores

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Northborough, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a phone call from the Store Manager two weeks later to schedule an interview. The interview lasted approximately 15 minutes. Mostly basic questions about my work experience and how comfortable I was with customers. I was asked whether I would prefer a Replenishment or Sales position and I chose Sales, which I was offered at the end of the interview. Very low-stress, casual interview for me.

Interview Question – Why did you leave your last job?   View Answer

Aurora, CO

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores in November 2010.

Interview Details – I was called for an interview just a day after I submitted my application. I was interviewed by the store manager at the time. Upon my arrival at the store for my interview, I had to ask an associate where to go. They were very pleasant and helped me right away. They led me to the office, where the store manager was waiting for me. I immediately liked him because he was very laid back. He asked a couple of questions and then hired me on the spot. Unfortunately, it was two weeks before I actually started working.

Interview Question – I'm going to need you to smile a lot. Think you can do that?   View Answer

North Riverside, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through Snag-A-Job on Monday, November 4th. I was called to interview on November 12th. I arrived early and was told to wait in the classroom located in the back of the store. The manager came in and told me about Michaels and the duties of the position. He asked me one question and that was "Why should I hire you?". I explained to him that I had 4 years of customer service experience and during my down time I like to do arts and crafts. I also gave the manager my resume and he seemed very impressed with my college major. He offered me the position and I accepted.

Interview Question – Why should I hire you? (This was not difficult nor unexpected)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was not able to negotiate. This may have been it was a seasonal position.

O Fallon, MO

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was called by a manager at a local Michael's store within 5 days of applying although I did apply during the start of the holiday season. I had an interview roughly 2 days later and was surprised at how pleasant the manager was. The application itself was a bit different from normal applications because it first and foremost asked about my creativity. The interview was short and simple, but i was not offered a job as a seasonal sales associate. The manager had actually paid close attention to my application (you would be surprised how many don't care for minimum wage jobs) and offered me a job as a framer and potentially a teacher for their art classes based on my experience in mathematics and fine arts. I went to Michael's looking for something simple and supplemental to my existing job and was surprised at what was offered. The staring pay in minimum ($7.50 for framers), but it has potential to be much more. It may turn out to be exactly what you are looking for.

Interview Question – The interview was very straightforward and did not have any unexpected or difficult questions. However, I am sure that may vary by manager and location.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – it was a seasonal job so there really was no negotiation.

Keller, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty quick, basic tell me about yourself, how do you handle this type of situation, why should I pick you, etc...they really just want to know if you know about arts and crafts to help sales. They tell you right away if you got the job or not and you will slowly turn in paperwork.

Interview Question – none really, basic common sense questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since I had previous retail experience they bumped up the pay .75 cents more an hour

Islip, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2012.

Interview Details – I filled out an application online and within a couple of days was invited in for an interview. The interview was extremely short. Asked a few questions and discussed the uniform, asked if I had any questions. At the end I was told that they were hoping to start people later that week and that I would ear from them.

Interview Question – Why should I hire you over any other candidates?   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in December 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online during September, was called for an interview in October. The interview process was very professional. The store manager was appealed by my work experience, which was alot of customer service jobs. I was told it was seasonal but if they like you they will keep you .

Interview Question – Describe a time when you provided the best customer service.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online, got a call two days later, had the interview 4 days after that (it would have been earlier, but it was thanksgiving weekend), and was offered the job on the spot after the interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my hours and they seemed very willing to accommodate to my needs.

Seasonal Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2009.

Interview Details – I had a one on one interview with a manager. I was being hired as seasonal, was given a description of the job and got a handshake. About two hours later I got a phone call and was offered a position, at which time I was scheduled for an orientation (hiring paperwork). I was not asked any questions about myself or why I was applying for the position during the interview.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked any questions.   View Answer

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!