Michaels Stores

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in March 2010.

Interview Details – Initial contact made by human resource department for phone interview. Had 1 interview with the district manager. Process took about two weeks. Met at a store and had general conversation for about 45 min. Standard process

Interview Question – Normal questions on leadership   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Got what I asked fo

Store Manager

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – Interviewed phone interview with recruiter, met in person with DM, phone interview with rude HR lady, quick phone interview with RVP. All quick easy questions. Very basic.

Interview Question – HR lady tried to be difficult, but she was ineffective at doing so.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Told the DM what I needed & he said he would try to get it approved & he did.

Store Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – Very Fast and was very down to earth

Interview Question – None regular questions   Answer Question

Carson City, NV

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details – Worked way up the store, took long time to get job, even though I was already doing the job.

Interview Question – Please try to be as detailed as possible regarding the technical question, business case, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Christiansburg, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Michaels Stores in February 2012.

Interview Details – Interview over phone with Corp rec. Interview with DM in person, DM was not dressed for her position. DM did not sell the company. Poor process in all areas.

Interview Questions

• How would you adjust o dealing with less volume than your use to.   View Answer
  • I can not pay you what you were making.   View Answer

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in March 2011.

Interview Details – You interview with the a recruiter first over the phone. Then you have a 1:1 interview with the DM. Then you have a phone interview with Zone HR and then the final interview is a phone interview with Zone VP. You will get a lot of behavioral questions. All questions start with "tell me about a time when.........and how did you handle it?"

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had a difficult customer and how did you accomodate them?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They lowball the first offer. Always negotiate the salary and don't be afraid to ask what you are really worth.

Dublin, OH

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2010.

Interview Details – It was a typical recruiter phone call... acted like I was the only one they were looking at. Did not know the specifics of the job.

Interview Question – How do you deal with a cashier and a difficult customer?   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in January 2009.

Interview Details – 1 Recruiter
1 DM
1 Store Manager
1 Regional

Interview Question – Willing to Relocate for promotion   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2009.

Interview Details – District HR called to set up the phone interview. She was very polite and friendly. She asked about the current volume the store I worked for did, what were my greatest strengths and weaknesses, why I was interested in leaving the company, what was I looking for in a new company, what did I know about them, had I shopped there before, and then asked me what questions I had. The hardest question is always what is your greatest weakness. When we talked money, it was obvious that I made far too much in salary to be considered.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   View Answer

Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2008.

Interview Details – Process that rotated me from table to table in a company sponsored process to promote Assistant Managers to Store Managers.

Interview Question – The process was unnecessary, because I didn't even seek a promotion at the time.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Michaels Stores

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michaels Stores Store Manager interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Michaels Stores employees and interview candidates.