Michelin North America Area Sales Manager Interview Questions

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Michelin North America.

Phone screening first. Very straightforward on the phone. No silly canned questions. After that was a 1 day session in Greenville with different sales managers/HR/executives. Lots of personality and culture questions. They want to make sure you fit in. The sales training program is excellent, and is the true weeding out portion for candidates

Interview Questions
  • Be prepared to discuss your goals and what motivates you.   Answer Question
None.

Other Interview Reviews for Michelin North America

AREA SALES MANAGER Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Michelin North America.

Phone interview and then flown out to Greenville HQ. Met with HR and then Sales Managers.

Interview Questions
    • Very straight forward and easy going. Open conversation and not an interrogation.   View Answer
    Not much negotiation as this was my only offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Michelin North America in July 2011.

1: APPLICATION: Applied online and received an invitation for a phone screen maybe about 2-3 weeks later. Helps to find contact information for interviewer and call them or e-mail them directly to let them know you applied. The department is Corporate Recruiting (TCAR). It does not seem they have a preference in general for who they are interested in. Some hires have an MBA, some have no sales experience or business degree.

2: PHONE SCREENING: It was very basic at about 30 minutes in length. No behavioral questions. Typical background questions on your qualifications and past experience relating to sales. Notable questions (these are routinely asked as confirmed with other applicants) are: "Why Michelin", "Why Sales". Make sure be proactive! Don't just settle for answering questions. Offer to the recruiter why they need you. Display a sales personality on the phone. Slightly aggressive, but optomistic, numbers oriented, and determined to get the job. Tell her why they need you. You do not have to know much about Michelin. After phone ended, it was till about a month and a half later I was invited for to go down to SC for a HQ interview. They will either fly you or pay you for your mileage (whichever is less expensive), put you in a hotel and pay for your meals.

**During the whole process they never really cared whether you knew anything about tires or Michelin, rather they wanted you to display a sales personality.** KEEP THIS IN MIND! Don't kill yourself doing research as it will not be brought up. Basically know a few tires, and what car or truck would use them. They never asked anything relating to Michelin as a company.

3: DAY OF HQ INTERVIEW: The Recruiter, and most of the TCAR interviewers were sort of nervous around all of the applicants. I would not describe them as unfriendly, but their enthusiasm was very contrived. Meaning, they seemed kind of unsettled when out of the interview and just talking plainly with the candidates. The PLNA group (another division of the Area Sales Manager) were more open, and genuinely friendly.

When you arrive at HQ you sit in a room with other applicants, where you are briefed on benefits and company car, (you are required to pay 100$ or so a month for the car which covers insurance, repair, gas etc.). Interview is with 3 employees in the dept. Mine was 1. Manager, 2. Personnel Manager, and 3. Another type of Manager. You interview with each of them for 1 hour a piece (1 on 1). They all interviewed without any script in front of them. They may ask behavioral questions, they may not. All three asked generally about experience, but they are not necessarily concerned with that, because remember: **If you have been offered an invite, where the company pays for you to travel there, they already think you can at least basically perform the job**. You can talk briefly about your experiences, but remember the most important thing you must do: SELL THEM on YOU! What this means is that you tell them why they should hire you and tell them you want the job and ask what it will take to get it. Display that you can sell by selling them on you. I was only asked 2 behavioral questions by the first interviewer, and none after that. It help a **little** to know about tires, but remember concentrate on you sell to them that you can do the job.

The last interviewer seemed only to care about dissecting your resume and finding any discrepancies. A prior review confirms this. He seemed to be looking for a lie.

Afterwards you will have lunch with the recruiter, the other applicants, and maybe some of your interviewers. This lunch is to test you! Make sure you carry on conversations with all the applicants, and the recruiter. Don't talk about the job, or Michelin really. Just have normal conversation and keep it going. Stand out from everybody else.

The recruiter told us they would let us know the decision within 3 days. I heard back in 3 days. However, I talked to a previous hire who said they called her back within 3 hours of leaving to make an offer. They make their decision after everyone leaves (probably takes them 15-20 minutes to come to a conclusion), and you do background checks AFTER you get an offer.

Summing this up, this is a pretty easy corporate interview process compared to most others. It has great benefits and the opportunity to relocate and travel. Not a hard interview to prepare for, and not a hard one to ace. The only constituent thing you need to remember is to act like a salesman and you will get the job.

AREA SALES MANAGER Interview

interviewed at Michelin North America in March 2011.

Alright - You have a telephone interview and then a one day in person interview with three or more managers. Be ready to have a start date a month or more away and be acceptable to move anywhere in America.

Interview Questions
    • It is all discussion/conversation type interview with some behavioral questioning. Hardest part is staying enthusiastic during the multiple interviews in a day.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Michelin North America in January 2011.

The first thing in the process is a Phone Screening with a HR recruiter. Pretty easy interview. Basic questions. The woman asked me about my past work experience. Some other questions that I can remember are: Why Michelin? Why do you like sales? Strengths. Areas to improve on. Willing to relocate? Other very basic questions. It's a very simple/easy interview and most should be able to pass the screen test to go on to headquarters interviews.

Next I received a call later that afternoon (same day as phone screen) from the recruiter inviting me to go to Greenville, SC for in person interviews.

Also, before HQ interview you have about 200 or so assessment/personality questions to answer. Not too bad.

Once I got to Michelin HQ it was sit down with two HR women and chat about what the interview schedule will be like for the day. I interviewed with 3 different people. The interviews were individual not talking to three at once. It was pretty basic for the most part, but it was also a moderately difficult. I'd say two of the three interviewers were really trying to make me slip and say something wrong. They seemed to really find out if I was right for Michelin. It's a very corporate environment/culture. Nice HQ. You will also be with other people who are also interviewing for the same job. I had two other people with me throughout the process. You interview seperate but you rotate through the interviews.

The whole process at HQ took about 4 hours. You talk to each person for an hour. Then have lunch with the two HR women. Then signed out and went home.

The overall feel I had was that the Training Program is very intense and that you can potentially be "weeded out" during the 12 weeks of training. You will have to take tests, presentations, work in the field with a current sales manager. It just seemed like it was going to test if you could handle pressure/stress. You have to pass all tests with an 80 or better. You have to relocate at the end of program to whereever they tell you to go. It seems like a good program but very challenging and stressful. The job itself seemed very stressful. You would have to be very structured/disciplined to plan out your daily schedule by yourself. It would be a job that would not have much supervision.

Advice: Be prepared to sell yourself. Talk a good game. Always say positive stuff. Be careful about how you answer questions. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • What is something short term that you had to give up for a long term benefit?
      Why should we hire you? Why Michelin? Strenghts/Weakness. What is the hardest obstacle that you had to overcome? Tell me about a time when you had to overcome a difficult situation?
        View Answer

AREA SALES MANAGER Interview

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Michelin North America in March 2011.

A recruiter called to set up a phone interview with in a few days of submitting an application online. The interview consisted of a few question to clairify past job responsibilities, salary expectations, a commitment to a 12 week training period at their headquarters and unconditional acceptance to assignment of a territory.
    I felt the phone interview was not as long as others i have had and wasnt sure if the interviewer had another task she would rather be on.

Interview Questions

Worked for Michelin North America? Contribute to the Community!