Michigan State

Getting the Interview

28 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Librarian I Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Michigan State.

Interview Details – Easy Job

Interview Question – Where are you from   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You have the job, ok thanks

HP Assistant Professor Interview

East Lansing, MI

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Michigan State in March 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring moved at a glacial pace. Several hoops to jump through. Lots of forced smiles and extreme egos bouncing off one another. Interview consisted of teaching a class, tons of meetings, phony wine and dining at a cheap college hangout where the faculty members gossiped amongst themselves about their terrible students peccadilloes. Yes! at an interview!

Interview Question – From a potential colleague: "How are you about handling an emotional crisis from students of a sexual nature?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – worst pay of the big 10 schools. I was offered a 3 year contract, so I knew that I had to negotiate before signing. Coming from the private sector with a salary history 3 times what their low-ball offer was, I managed to only get them up by 5K. They offered a meager 1k for relocation expenses.

Student Team Leader Interview

East Lansing, MI

I applied online - interviewed at Michigan State in October 2011.

Interview Details – Very relaxed interview process since I've already worked with everyone in my department.

Interview Question – Many "what would you do" questions for weird situations. But it's helpful because those situations do come up quite often.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Michigan State.

Interview Details – Used Venture.com to find out about position. Then I emailed my resume and cover letter to the PI. After about a day I heard back and was able to schedule an interview. The interview was very science based. She asked about my previous research experience and wanted a detail account of what I did. She also asked about a few of the techniques I was going to be doing and my level of familiarity. I knew some but the rest I only knew theoretically which for some odd reason made her excited. So, I would say be honest about what you know and what you don't know. They want to be able to teach you but it would help if you knew a little about the techniques before hand.

Interview Question – Questions were relatively easy. A lot of previous research questions and a few behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. The job description had the pay rate.

Consultant, Education Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Michigan State.

Interview Details – The process of interviewing for this position was interesting. The entire interview was a three hour interview that included three segments. First, there was a group interview that was mostly traditional. Two people interviewed me and I was the only one in this interview. They were obviously using a rating system and it was very organized. Next, I was asked to go to a different room and I was to look over a wide variety of data and then asked to role-play with two school personnel about how I could help them improve test results. Finally, I was asked to go to yet another room where I was given a list of questions to pick from and I had to provide a writing sample by responding to the question I chose. A very large number of people were interviewed for the positions and many different people were involved in the interview process over a two week period. I found the process to be very organized given the large number of people interviewed and given the many different MSU people doing the interviewing.

Interview Question – Actually, nothing about the interview stands out as difficult or unexpected except the actual process.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. It was a contracted position that had been pre-determined. This was my first clue that this might not be a position that they were portraying it to be. In hindsight, I should have left then, but I was curious and decided to give it one year.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Michigan State in February 2012.

Interview Details – Application via email
got a phone interview after a few weeks
technical and tough phone interview with a professor
Skype interview and giving a presentation about my research

Interview Question – the interview was very technical and I did not get any unexpected question   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Student Book Organizer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Michigan State in September 2013.

Interview Details – I found this job at MSU myspartancareer website and I applied using the system. I than get a interview which was about half an hour long. I was asked general behavior questions, for instance, how would you work effectively to meet deadlines.I was also asked about experience of training others.

Interview Question – If there's a chance to put you in charge of supervising others, how would you do?   View Answer

Communications Coordinator Interview

Communications Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Michigan State.

Interview Details – I submitted a resume and cover letter on the HR site. Once my cover letter got referred to department by HR, I contacted the department and let them know again of my interest in the position. I then heard from them a couple weeks later for an interview. I came in for an interview and within a week had a job offer from them.

Interview Question – They asked me about research that I have gathered and analyzed. Thankfully, for my senior project I had collected data using Survey Monkey and then analyzed the data using SPSS.   Answer Question

Research Assistant I Interview

Research Assistant I

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Michigan State.

Interview Details – submitted my resume via online first, then send my official documents. Sent other documents for paper works and made an appointment for the interview. Attended 1:1 with the primary investigator and one of the co-workers showed me the data that I would be dealing with.

Interview Question – How the position would support my lifetime goal   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

Interviewed at Michigan State

Interview Details – There was no interview process. They know who they want and come after you.

Interview Question – Finding something that is not working properly   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Michigan State? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michigan State interview questions and advice. All 28 interview reviews posted anonymously by Michigan State employees and interview candidates.