Michigan Technological University

Updated Sep 11, 2014
Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.7

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

My advisor called me without prior notice to discuss her field of research interest. The conversation took about 30 minutes and finally she said she would let me know her decision later. After a couple of weeks she got back to me via an e-mail to say she has picked me up to start a PhD program.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houghton, MI

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Michigan Technological University in January 2013.

Interviewed by Professor itself. Small interview process with lots of questions on your undergrad work. More conversation from prof side, explaining the work culture in Michigan Tech and my future work under him. Next day had lab tour, he explained all the work and project undergoing in the lab, gave a short presentation on the lab equipments.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houghton, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Michigan Technological University in August 2012.

My advisor forwarded me an email that the professor teaching the class needed some TAs, so I sent an email back saying that I was interested. She agreed to meet me less than a week later. The process was very easy, and I'm not sure it would even qualify as an interview, or be more of an informational meeting to let me know what would be expected of me during the course of the class.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't really anything unexpected or difficult. As stated above, the interview mostly consisted of what would be expected of me, and whether I would be able to meet the time requirements. I did have to decide what days I wanted to teach lab though, that was a little difficult, since I was free almost any day during the week.   Answer Question
    There was none.

Orientation Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houghton, MI

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Michigan Technological University.

Went to an information session, filled out a couple short essay questions and then went onto the interview process. Pretty generic interview, had 2 people interview me, one staff member and a student employee. Pretty standard interview questions, strengths/weaknesses, leadership experience, etc.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houghton, MI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Michigan Technological University in March 2011.

unexpected phone interview. Talking about 30 min about the research.

Housing.

Student Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houghton, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Michigan Technological University in October 2010.

Talk with the housing office. Not much of an interview

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Michigan Technological University in November 2011.

Depends on the Professor applied to.

Interview Questions
    • Are you sure you want to do your PhD on this topic?   View Answer

Assistant Professor Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Michigan Technological University in February 2010.

it was straight forward, first phone interview, then on-campus