Michigan Technological University Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2015

2.4

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

My advisor called me without prior notice to discuss her field of research interest. The conversation took about 30 minutes and finally she said she would let me know her decision later. After a couple of weeks she got back to me via an e-mail to say she has picked me up to start a PhD program.

Custodian At Wads Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Michigan Technological University in November 2013.

Interview

No questions. Just left the emails to the person in charge and she responded to me several days later. I went to the office talking with her about the job details and asked me to finish some forms. That's all what I had to get the job. The process is quite easy and simple.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houghton, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Michigan Technological University (Houghton, MI) in January 2013.

Interview

Interviewed by Professor itself. Small interview process with lots of questions on your undergrad work. More conversation from prof side, explaining the work culture in Michigan Tech and my future work under him. Next day had lab tour, he explained all the work and project undergoing in the lab, gave a short presentation on the lab equipments.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houghton, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Michigan Technological University (Houghton, MI) in August 2012.

Interview

My advisor forwarded me an email that the professor teaching the class needed some TAs, so I sent an email back saying that I was interested. She agreed to meet me less than a week later. The process was very easy, and I'm not sure it would even qualify as an interview, or be more of an informational meeting to let me know what would be expected of me during the course of the class.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't really anything unexpected or difficult. As stated above, the interview mostly consisted of what would be expected of me, and whether I would be able to meet the time requirements. I did have to decide what days I wanted to teach lab though, that was a little difficult, since I was free almost any day during the week.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was none.

Orientation Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houghton, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Michigan Technological University (Houghton, MI).

Interview

Went to an information session, filled out a couple short essay questions and then went onto the interview process. Pretty generic interview, had 2 people interview me, one staff member and a student employee. Pretty standard interview questions, strengths/weaknesses, leadership experience, etc.

Visiting Assistant Professor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Michigan Technological University in July 2012.

Interview

I applied through mathjobs.org after an associate contacted my professor informing him of the position. I had an interview via Skype with some fairly routine questions. After the interview I was notified that I had an informal job offer with the details about salary etc. About two/three weeks later the actual job offer came through.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to work at MTU? What is your research about?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houghton, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Michigan Technological University (Houghton, MI) in March 2011.

Interview

unexpected phone interview. Talking about 30 min about the research.

Interview Questions

• what project did you do?   1 Answer
    • are you familiar with some instrument?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Housing.

Student Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houghton, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Michigan Technological University (Houghton, MI) in October 2010.

Interview

Talk with the housing office. Not much of an interview

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Michigan Technological University in November 2011.

Interview

Depends on the Professor applied to.

Interview Questions

• Are you sure you want to do your PhD on this topic?   1 Answer

Assistant Professor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Michigan Technological University in February 2010.

Interview

it was straight forward, first phone interview, then on-campus