Micrel

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Electrical Engineer (Senior Applications Engineer) Interview

Electrical Engineer (Senior Applications Engineer)
San Jose, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Micrel in May 2012.

Interview Details – Straight forward technical questions. One manager who interviewed me wasn't an EE and grilled me on business type questions like working with customers. The culture there was old, staid and not very modern for high tech. The CEO/founder was stuck in the 70s and early 80s with top-down management style and his excruciating penny-pinching philosophy.

Interview Question – Various engineers asked fundamentals of power supply design and op amps. Nothing too unexpected   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very little negotiable since I had no other offer and was unemployed at the time.

Business Marketing Specialist Interview

Business Marketing Specialist
San Jose, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Micrel in January 2014.

Interview Details – Initial interview was via phone. I was asked to come in for a face to face the next day. I met with 3 people, including the hiring manager which was the director of marketing, director or product marketing, and a business marketing specialist. The interview went on for 2 hours long. They asked basic questions why I want to leave my current company, what is your skill level with Excel. They expressed over and over that the position is 100% tactical. I got called in for a second interview the following week. I met with 4 people; 2 business marketing specialists, another director of product marketing, and VP of marketing. One of the business marketing staff expressed that she came from a big company prior to joining Micrel, and most of the marketing team are from her previous company. Almost each on of them repeatedly said that Micrel operates like a 34 year old start-up with manual tools, and conservative ways of doing things. They also said that they all work late. I didn't see the enthusiasm on their faces when talking about the Micrel. I honestly felt that they regret being there because a couple of them actually looked happier talking about their previous company where the proper tools are in place, and more profitable. None of them talked about being excited about the changes they are making, where the company is going, etc, which was strange because they are the Marketing team! I think it was a red flag that the company that has been around for over 30 years is still running like a start-up. Note: that is not a selling point. It screams old-fashioned, set in our old ways, and we are cheap.

To me, it says that they are not innovative, very cost conscious, not willing to take risk, and slow or resistant to change. The facility seems run-down, gloomy, dark, and the furniture is dated. One of the chairs in the conference room where I interviewed the second time had a nasty stain in it.

Only 1 out of the 7 people I met with was considered "an old timer." The other 6 had only been working at Micrel for about 1-3 years. And if they did not look enthusiastic about where they are at, then to me something is not right. I sent a thank you note via email to the hiring manager, but did not have the intention to pursue the position with Micrel.

Interview Question – No difficult question for me, but more conflicting questions. One director said that the position does not require technical skills, the other one said it requires someone to be technical, and the position should not be titled Business Marketing Specialist. Another red-flag was when 3 of the interviewers asked "how do you deal with people with difficult personalities?" I was also asked if I were married, and have kids, which from my experience is unethical to ask during an interview.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Applications Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Micrel in October 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process is according to industry standard. The candidate is thoroughly questioned and verified for technical knowledge. People from all business level are invited to interview the candidate. The feedback from interview is unbiased and correct. Interviewing people are very knowledgeable and experienced. Candidates background check and employment history check is done before hiring anyone.

Interview Question – The design process of ICs.   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Micrel.

Interview Details – Interview with the design team. The process is easy if you have a few years of industry experience in analog design. The design engineers are good people and know their circuits. Unfortunately, the manufacturing process is limited to outdated process due to the stubbornness of the CEO.

There will be an initial phone interview followed by an onsite interview. The onsite will take about the whole day. The offer came with a week. Salary negotiation is tough but they will match stock options.

Interview Question – Needed to describe my most time sensitive project.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Tough. The HR department does not have a lot of leeway.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Micrel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Micrel interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Micrel employees and interview candidates.