Micro Focus

Updated Aug 10, 2014
Updated Aug 10, 2014

3.4

Senior Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Micro Focus.

You must go through several steps to get hired at Micro Focus. A smart person might ask how many candidates there are, and whether some are internal to the company. Based on the answer, consider how much effort you would like to apply. A recruiter from the company will screen you, then you will need to pass a behavior exam and an intelligence test of sorts. Neither is too long and frankly as for the intelligence thing, it really doesn't apply to the job requirements -- at least not to the skills required for the job I applied to. Then you will be screened by someone from HR or the recruiter, then have a phone or in person visit with a hiring manager and then usually a second interview after that again with a hiring manager and maybe even with a panel where you must present a case and answer questions and explain why you want to work at the firm. Microfocus is a good company but I think they could use some help in some areas of their business including interviewing. And some fresh eyes within parts of their business would not be all bad either. Not sure where they are headed because the hiring manager would not/did not discuss it at the interview, and the panel group avoided it altogether. Some of the people in the panel interview were arrogant and it was obvious from body language -- detaches is the best way to put it. Others are very approachable.

Interview Questions
    • none were difficult; very textbook like, nothing original. Why us? Why you? What do you have that someone else doesn't have pretty much sums it up. Some interviewers were unprepared and seemed to be going through motions without any interest in answers given. Not sure why. Guess they just weren't that into me. But when you go the distance you expect them to as well. It's the professional thing to do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Micro Focus in June 2013.

Initial Interview was with the recruiting firm Pareto Law(from UK). There was tremendous follow up and communication throughout the whole process. I was then invited to an all day interview event at the Troy office with 33 other individuals. We received immediate feedback afterwords.

Interview Questions
    • If you have been in sales for 8 years why are you looking for another firm?   Answer Question

Graduate Sales Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Micro Focus in June 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter who then asked for a phone interview where I was given a personality assessment. Be sure to be yourself entirely because it is all they look for. Once passing that, they flew me to Michigan for an assessment day full of group activities and a 3 minute presentation you must be prepared to give in front of members of the board of executive directors. They will drill you with questions and make you prove that you want to be a part of their company. They are extremely friendly and are looking for someone with a ton of personality and that will fit in with the team. The interview process is pretty brutal, but the way they treat their employees from day one shows the integrity behind the company.

Interview Questions
    • What is it about micro focus specifically that would make you want to work here over any other sales job?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Micro Focus in June 2013.

This is a very unorthodox interviewing process. A recruiting firm in the UK will hurriedly try to qualify if you are "worthy" to be interviewed face to face. If you pass that, they herd you into a room full of bright eyed naive 20-somethings all looking to make 7 figures their first year. They then take you through a strange psychological group test (lifeboat scenario) & stranded in the desert. All this is going on while executives with clipboards are all judging and observing you silently. Once that is through, they pile about 50 people into a room and pick you one at a t time to present in 3 minutes to the executive cabinet (yes, the CEO) why you should be selected. It feels like you are on an episode of American Idol.

They really grill you, so be prepared to answer some tough questions.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you will be successful here, how do you know?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Micro Focus in May 2013.

Applied online, got an email to call. I called, for a two part extensive process. They begin by verifying education and why you got in sales. Then they ask the usual questions, what are your plans in three years, why do you think you'll succeed here. If you failed at a quota, what would you do to correct it. The usual based on prior history, when you did exceed at a position, do you work well with others. After the ~30 minute interview, they tell you if you qualified to move on or not. Keep your answers clipped as possible, that was the one critique of my own interview. Have energy, relate to your interviewer. They eventually will tell you the next stage is a in-person interview that's just as comprehensive. They're not kidding when they say they want the top %. I saw many veteran sales guys walk away shaking their heads. Mock sales pitches, sales strategy sessions. They test your ability to formulate sales pitches/plans on the fly. Stay calm, confident and assertive and you'll do fine. Being nervous is expected, but staying confident and assertive will help you gain their confidence. If you "pass" the secondary test, they'll tell you same day and the job process begins.

Interview Questions
    • Your three main weaknesses as characterized by friends or colleagues   Answer Question
    None. Flat offer of salary + commission after paid training.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Micro Focus.

Nice process from HR onset to face to face. A bit nervous, but quickly put at ease.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to answer relevant questions and demonstrate skills.   Answer Question

Senior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Micro Focus.

Recruiter called first and asked several qualifying questions - background, past experience and expectations. Referred to hiring manager who did initial telephone interview, then in person interview. Once past that stage, spoke with another employee and finally in person interview with management at second level. Also had to undergo extensive psychological profile with review from the outside company conducting the profile. Then got the offer.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any unusually difficult questions. Some of the psychological questions were a bit strange; I think due to the differences in culture between UK and US. Can't remember the most unusual one. There were a few.   Answer Question
    No room for negotiation. Was in line with my expectations so accepted. Sent offer in mail, discussed via telephone (with US home office HR); signed and returned.

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Micro Focus.

The process has been handled by internal recruiters. The process was not seemless but overall a good process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Micro Focus in July 2010.

HR screen. Online assessment. In person interview. Presentation.

Interview Questions
    • They presention on a specific product line was the most challenging aspect of the process.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation

Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Micro Focus in March 2010.

Phone interview, in person interview, reference checks

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a customer that likes the product but says they do not have $ in the budget?   View Answer
    They gave me what I asked for so I should have asked for more.