MicroStrategy Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2015

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at MicroStrategy.

Interview

applied through campus recruit, questions are basically behaviors like what would you be in the next 5 years, why you chose this company. Brain teaser is the same old one. Crossing the bridge with a torch , two people at a time (1min/2min/5min/10min), what's the shortest time to cross.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MicroStrategy in February 2014.

Interview

The first communication I got after applying was an email to set up a phone interview. During the phone interview I spoke with a woman and we mostly just talked about my availability with little discussion about the job itself. I then had to wait about a week to hear back if I could get set up for a Skype interview, which I did. During that part, we talked a lot more about the job itself and then I was informed that I would hear back in about a week if I would move on to an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• For such a big company, I wasn't asked a lot of questions directy about the job itself. I was also expecting more of a behavior based interview, but it wasn't. More of a conversation to to make sure that I'm not a crazy person or completely incompetant. For this interview it was really important just to be yourself and very straightforeward about what you want to get out of the job. This is an entry level postion.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MicroStrategy in February 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was very long and intense. They grilled me on everything I had on my resume, work experience, and asked me to additionally solve case scenarios and brain teasers. It was a very friendly interview, but I wouldn't say easy.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MicroStrategy.

Interview

went through 2 phone interviews and then was offered to be flown down there for a final interview but decided against moving down to dc for a career

Interview Questions

• none of the questions were too difficult or unexpected - asked a lot of questions to get insight on my analytical background   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Tysons Corner, VA) in January 2014.

Interview

First, phone screen, quite easy. Then, after several weeks, onsite. 4 interviewers, ask about java, C++, Objective-C, threads, synchronization, dead lock, design pattern, and a couple of algorithms.

Associate Beta Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Washington, DC) in January 2014.

Interview

The process was fairly easy and straightforward. Applied online and heard back within a few weeks. Phone screening, second phone screening, onsite. No surprises. I wouldn't stress about it too much.

Business Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Tysons Corner, VA) in January 2014.

Interview

Interviewing process was pretty simple, took about 1 month. Started with a phone interview, followed by an in-person interview. Each one took about 20-30 minutes. Questions were pretty straight forward.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation

Interview

First round is an on campus interview. The interviewer asked a few IQ questions like how to divide a cake into 8 pieces. After a week was the second round on site interview. There were three interviewers and each one asked questions for about 45 minutes. First one asked a question about coding and testing. Other two asked IQ questions.

Interview Questions

• n people go through a bridge and only two can pass once. Each person need different time to pass the bridge. Find the min time to pass the bridge   Answer Question

Associate Beta Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Tysons Corner, VA).

Interview

First round started out with a phone interview. Spoke on the phone for about 45 minutes. Questions were a mix of behavioral and problem solving brainteasers. Talked about professional experience and university courses. Received about two brainteasers that made you think a bit, but ultimately weren't too difficult. Second (and final) round was on site. Had 3 separate 45 minute interviews with different employees in the technology department. Again, the question mix was 50/50 between brainteasers and behavioral. The brainteasers were more difficult in this one than in the phone interview. Was asked to write some SQL on a whiteboard since my resume said I had taken a course in database technology. Quick tour around the building and that was it.

Interview Questions

• Can't remember since the interview was several years ago.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much of a negotiation since I was taking the job directly out of school.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Tysons Corner, VA) in December 2013.

Interview

First step was a phone interview, which I cannot recall very well. It was a basic technical screen, asking questions about .NET, C#, and SQL. The in-person interview was 7 hours long. After I arrived at the MicroStrategy office, I first took a written test that asked some very difficult questions that were not relevant to my position or skills. They included questions relating to discrete mathematics, algorithms, etc. Even though I completely failed my written test, I made it through two more rounds of in-person interviews at the MicroStrategy office. These were fairly easy and involved questions about how I would design a certain application given a certain problem. Then I went out to lunch with the team lead. That went extremely well and we got along perfectly. My final interview was with the manager of the project. He was a bit tougher and not as friendly, and was looking at his Outlook email on his phone while interviewing me (very rude). IMPORTANT: Even though I was offered the position, the Risk Management team declined my employment because I had a misdemeanor from 3 years ago. They took 3 weeks to process my background check and I had already quit my previous position. I really hope this does not happen to anyone else.

Interview Questions

• The written test, with questions about algorithms and calculating performance of functions.   Answer Question

I did not decline. I was not given the position because of a misdemeanor on my record from more than 3 years ago. MicroStrategy took several weeks to perform my background check and I was left unemployed in the end.