MicroStrategy

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MicroStrategy.

Interview Details – Usual.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – If you have good experience and good social skills. you can negotiate.

Houston, TX

The process took 3 days - interviewed at MicroStrategy in April 2010.

Interview Details – Very disorganized interviews.

First phase: A round of phone interviews with the employees that would be your "equals" in the company. This took about two weeks to get any response back because one of the employees did not return the review of the phone interview.

Second phase: On site interview. They flew me out to Chicago and I met with several managers and directors. There were about 3 other people (for other positions) with me in the waiting room. The interviews were like musical chairs. Once someone finished their interview with a director/manager, another candidate would enter the to take to the same director/manager.

At the end of the day, the recruiter (who was on site) told me they loved me for another position and that I would need to have another interview with another director (for a different day)

Third phase: For my last interview for another position, the director said he would make his decision at the end of the week. I called the following week for an update. He informed me that he wanted me for the position but instead of fulltime position it would be a contract position. I agreed and we came to an agreement of the hourly rate. He said he needed to "finalize" the paperwork but it would completed in a couple of days and I would be brought on. Well one week passes by and nothing. I called and emailed several times and not one response. I left it alone after two weeks of not getting any feedback.

I dont know if this happens to many people interviewing with this company or just a fluke but I am glad the offer didnt go through.

Keep in mind, if you sign up as a contractor, you have to pay for your flight and hotel stay to be "trained" for two weeks on their HQ offices on their software along with any other expenses. This might be a standard procedure for other companies for contractors but I have never heard of this kind of arrangement.

If you are hired on as an employee, the travel expenses are covered and training is about 8 weeks long.

Interview Question – Please name the different types of of BI tools?   View Answer

Senior Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at MicroStrategy in June 2010.

Interview Details – My process started with a phone screening with the company recruiter. Was followed by a phone interview with a senior manager to discuss company culture and the organization and acted as first gatekeeper in the process. After follow-up with recruiter wait a few weeks and interviewed with my eventual boss to discuss his needs and the opportunities in his organization. Finally met with the hiring manager and after that offered the position to join the company

Interview Question – What are the 3 factors that drive a successful consulting business?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes I was able to negotiate. Come prepared with a 2 numbers in mind the amount you would like to have and the one that you would accept

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Consultant

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 months - interviewed at MicroStrategy in May 2011.

Interview Details – The process was long and painful. Phone interview with Staffing agency, then recruiter, then office manager, then consulting manager, then face to face with 4 people and a stress test, then the promise of an offer, then yet another phone interview with consulting manager, then background check - all of which is routine. The neverending background check included 2 phone calls from "risk mgmt" at MSTR (after 3 phone calls from offshore background check company, who didn't understand business). Despite promise of contingent offer, which was never received, and perfect education, civil, criminal, credit, employment and reference check, never closed the check process either way, even tho I passed others with IBM. Believe there is a boys club mentality, and appears to be ageism outside of major metro office.

Interview Question – Behavioural situation where client wants to throw consultant out of meeting.   View Answer

Senior Consultant

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at MicroStrategy in December 2010.

Interview Details – Recruiter was from outside firm and didn't have any knowledge of technology whatsoever. She asked very basic questions and then said I "passed" the first round. The next round was two technical interviews which she scheduled. The first tech interview was with someone who either took a confrontational approach on purpose or was just a jerk. He was very condescending. The second wasn't as condescending but asked me "averages" questions which were impossible to answer statistically.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I declined the 1:1 interview because I had zero interest in working for this company.

Senior Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MicroStrategy in November 2010.

Interview Details – I have a fair amount of years under my belt as an OLAP consultant and as such I was not much concerned with the technicalities of the interview. I am always pleasantly surprised when I meet people who know the craft. I talked to about 5 people, the recruiter, two technical fellows, an engagement manager and a regional manager. The first four was all phone based, the last was in person. I took some time off from my work to meet the person downtown, with traffic and parking I got there late with about 5 mins.

The regional manager came across as a very self-centered person with a sales message similar to those who sell vacuum cleaners (no offense intended). Here are my numbers, I need to meet them are you in type…. Obviously his sales numbers and that I was late with 5 mins were more important to him than his interest in me and why I was late. He done a poor job in communicating what his company has to offerr besides a paycheck. I am constantly amazed about how many recruiters are talking to you about career opportunities when in reality they are recruiting you to fill a slot from which is hard to advance out.

The regional managers attitude and the fact that every e-mail communication from the in-house recruiter was flagged high importance gave me an overall a bad experience. I could just imagine what is like working for this company when you are on the inside.

Interview Question – What is OLAP   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Bad soft experince, bad reputation of company, offer not competitive enough

Worked for MicroStrategy? Contribute to the Community!