Microsoft Account Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

3.7

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Microsoft.

Initial screening interview with HR rep was done via phone. After successful completion of that interview, the in-person Interviews were scheduled. They were completed in one day, and consisted of being interviewed separately by 5 other managers in succession. Those managers then shared their hire/no hire opinions with each other via email. After successfully completing that stage, I was then interviewed by the hiring manager later in the day.

Interview Questions
  • There were no real unexpected questions. The interviews were professional, pertinent to the job and detailed. The best question was, "what part of your career are you most proud of, and why?"   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Account Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

From my initial contact from the lazy recruiter who read from a script I should have known there was a problem. The recruiter called me one time and then from there I was shuttled to a "recruiting coordinator" who managed the rest of the process. There was never a sense of excitement about my candidacy or the job. The only person who treated me with any dignity was someone who was in the "peer" interviewing role. Everyone from there up proceeded to be difficult to engage with and read. I found myself trying to fill in the silences during the interviews with small talk and that was a big mistake! They are looking for robots, not people!

Interview Questions
    • There was no true "difficult" question, just a lot of uncomfortable silences. Don't try and connect on a personal level, it does NOT work!   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2009.

Started with phone interview first. Checked if you had basic Microsoft product info and understand the selling process for Enterprise. Once they had enough folks, follow up by half day interview by 5 different folks. Including the hiring manager. Both from the technology side and sales side. At the end of interview, each person would rank all the folks they had interviewed.

Interview Questions
    Offered what I was looking for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Microsoft.

Great experience, spoke to 4 different people who asked me various behavioral questions. lots of good questions and engagement, really smart people!

Very pleasant...

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

Multiple interviews (4)

Interview Questions
    long - like negotiating a contract

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2008.

Usually the process involves a finals day with all of the selected candidates. The candidates will each interview with 4 to 6 people and each of the interviewers will be looking for different qualities in the interviewee. The qualities can range from solution knowledge of the products, sales skills, partner knowledge, executive presence, etc. After the interviews are completed the group will convene and compare their results. Sometimes, the top two are invited back unless it is an overwhelming agreement on one candidate. If the top two are invited back, usually there are different people that are interviewing the candidates like a regional VP.

Interview Questions
    • Not that it is difficult, but candidates should have a 90 day business plan on how they would approach the job   View Answer
    there really isnt' too much negotiation; I was able to negotiate my relocation only

Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2009.

Applied on the website as I have done many, many times before. Pretty much has always been a black hole because I never before received any kind of feedback or response. Was surprised to be contacted by email by a recruiter a couple of weeks after I had applied. Recruiter suggested a number of times and we settled on a time a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to give bad news to an important customer and how you handled it. What was the result?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a good sale that you made, from start to finish, and then tell me about one that didn't go so well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2008.

I was doing an internal transfer and had to go through 6 interviews. This is usual for Microsoft, but slightly too much when you're transferring to the same team but working on another market.
    Interviews at Microsoft are pretty hairy, tough questions, and it is important to prepare a lot of career examples of success, breakthrough, failures etc...

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a important breakthrough in one of your previous roles, and explain why it was a breakthrough   Answer Question
    The negotiation phase was short and the negotiating room is very limited. When joining Microsoft, you want to negotiate on your Level. The higher the level, the best it is. Fight for a higher level, this will pay down the line.

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Overall negative experience. Was referred by an MS employee and after 14-day, received an automated email that said there were no jobs that fit at the time. Then a few weeks later received an email from the hiring manager. Had a phone screening with the hiring manager and he said that they would get me in-house. A month went by and nothing and I had disregarded it and moved on. Then I get an email apologizing for delay and that they would schedule me to bring in-house. Interview scheduled a week later and had a call with HR. He tells me that they're looking to move fast and that I should receive results the day after interviews. He had called a little late and was very apologetic for calling me late. Was super nice. Even gave me his phone number to reach out to him afterwards.

In-house interviews went fine. Everyone was nice. Had a loop of 3 potential colleagues, one of them a lunch interview. Then they decided they'd have another manager interview me, but it was not the hiring manager, which I thought was odd.

At any rate, I did not hear back the next day. I have followed up with the recruiter a few times and it has been a month and a half, and no response at all. Not even an automated "thanks for applying but this position has been filled" or "you weren't a good fit." Just nothing but arrogant silence. While I can infer that there is no offer in the pipeline, I just think it plain RUDE to treat people like this.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when someone surprised you with their actions.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2008.

Initial interview was a quick "get to know you" on-premises with the Hiring Manager. A follow-up phone interview then took place with a Microsoft Recruiter. After the first phone interview, there was a day-long interview with six Microsoft employees either directly or indirectly related to the Account Manager position and also an intro interview with a Microsoft Recruiter. Lunch was provided and everyone tried to ensure that each of the applicants were comfortable and relaxed. After the day-long iterview, there was more correspondence with the Recruiter and also a phone interview with another Microsoft Manager.

Interview Questions

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!