Microsoft Account Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jan 15, 2015
Updated Jan 15, 2015

3.6

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

It took a total of 1 month between first call and hiring date. They are very quick and buttoned up. Starts with recruiter call, then hiring manager call and then called in for in-person interviews. It is a full-day experience where all of the other candidates are there are as well. It is a little scary/competitive.

Interview Questions
No negotiation, but very generous offer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

The screening process was seamless. I had a few different calls to talk about my experience and the HR team in Washington then planned for me to come into the Cambridge office.

On the day of the interview I was placed into a room sandwiched between other candidates. I assume we were placed this way for the ease of the interviewers to bounce from room to room, but the day was a little chaotic not knowing who would be in next (you receive an itinerary beforehand - but be prepared to speak to more people than you anticipate with the provided schedule). Be prepared to speak to your experience - like, from beginning to end. "Tell me about your work history and experience."

The HR team is very quick to respond and provides an update even if you did not get an offer. I followed up for any constructive criticism to take away from the experience and it seems that they were looking for someone with more sales experience than account management.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us how you overcame a difficult obstacle/how was it handled?
      Tell us about your work experience.
      Why Microsoft?

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

Multiple 30 minute interview with various managers including short list for mock customer call. There were multiple candidates in offices next to each other. Most time slots were not on schedule and very unorganized.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

Initial screening interview with HR rep was done via phone. After successful completion of that interview, the in-person Interviews were scheduled. They were completed in one day, and consisted of being interviewed separately by 5 other managers in succession. Those managers then shared their hire/no hire opinions with each other via email. After successfully completing that stage, I was then interviewed by the hiring manager later in the day.

Interview Questions
    • There were no real unexpected questions. The interviews were professional, pertinent to the job and detailed. The best question was, "what part of your career are you most proud of, and why?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

Great experience, spoke to 4 different people who asked me various behavioral questions. lots of good questions and engagement, really smart people!

Very pleasant...

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

From my initial contact from the lazy recruiter who read from a script I should have known there was a problem. The recruiter called me one time and then from there I was shuttled to a "recruiting coordinator" who managed the rest of the process. There was never a sense of excitement about my candidacy or the job. The only person who treated me with any dignity was someone who was in the "peer" interviewing role. Everyone from there up proceeded to be difficult to engage with and read. I found myself trying to fill in the silences during the interviews with small talk and that was a big mistake! They are looking for robots, not people!

Interview Questions
    • There was no true "difficult" question, just a lot of uncomfortable silences. Don't try and connect on a personal level, it does NOT work!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

Multiple interviews (4)

Interview Questions
    long - like negotiating a contract

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Overall negative experience. Was referred by an MS employee and after 14-day, received an automated email that said there were no jobs that fit at the time. Then a few weeks later received an email from the hiring manager. Had a phone screening with the hiring manager and he said that they would get me in-house. A month went by and nothing and I had disregarded it and moved on. Then I get an email apologizing for delay and that they would schedule me to bring in-house. Interview scheduled a week later and had a call with HR. He tells me that they're looking to move fast and that I should receive results the day after interviews. He had called a little late and was very apologetic for calling me late. Was super nice. Even gave me his phone number to reach out to him afterwards.

In-house interviews went fine. Everyone was nice. Had a loop of 3 potential colleagues, one of them a lunch interview. Then they decided they'd have another manager interview me, but it was not the hiring manager, which I thought was odd.

At any rate, I did not hear back the next day. I have followed up with the recruiter a few times and it has been a month and a half, and no response at all. Not even an automated "thanks for applying but this position has been filled" or "you weren't a good fit." Just nothing but arrogant silence. While I can infer that there is no offer in the pipeline, I just think it plain RUDE to treat people like this.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when someone surprised you with their actions.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2009.

Started with phone interview first. Checked if you had basic Microsoft product info and understand the selling process for Enterprise. Once they had enough folks, follow up by half day interview by 5 different folks. Including the hiring manager. Both from the technology side and sales side. At the end of interview, each person would rank all the folks they had interviewed.

Interview Questions
    Offered what I was looking for.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2009.

Applied on the website as I have done many, many times before. Pretty much has always been a black hole because I never before received any kind of feedback or response. Was surprised to be contacted by email by a recruiter a couple of weeks after I had applied. Recruiter suggested a number of times and we settled on a time a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to give bad news to an important customer and how you handled it. What was the result?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a good sale that you made, from start to finish, and then tell me about one that didn't go so well.   Answer Question