Microsoft

Updated Nov 24, 2014

3.4

32 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

Great experience. I have an interview that from the same school as me. technical based. go through resume. ask you every single line of the resume. overall good experience. get to know the company

Interview Questions
  • technical question that i wasn't prepared for. ask everything on your resume. specific terms of coding   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

Arrived the day before the interview and participate in the pre-night social event. Network as much as you can, since it's very likely that you will run into your interviewer (though they won't tell you), and it's very important that you show your ability to socialize with strangers to make a good impression.

4 interviews back to back: presentation skills, engagement skills, traditional experience Q&A, and behavioral/situational interview.
    No tech questions. 20 min presentation was added this time to fresh things up.
    Interviewers were laid back and very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • No technical questions, but expect to be grilled on with resume entries.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Gave my resume at a recruitment event. They contacted me for an interview, which consisted mostly of behavioral questions and clarifications of things on my resume. It seemed like it went quite well, so I was a little surprised to not hear back. I guess since it was recruitment season they had a lot of applicants.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fargo, ND
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fargo, ND

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I am currently in the process of interviewing with Microsoft for a position in Customer Facing Technology. First I was contacted by a Microsoft recruiter via LinkedIn. After following up with her, I was invited to a phone interview. This was strictly behavioral, with questions that you would expect (Why Microsoft, is your personality a Android, iPhone, or Windows Phone, etc..). It was a pretty low-key conversation, and surprisingly low stress. I will be going in for the final, in person interview in a few weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA

I applied via the Microsoft College recruiting website and also attended a information session which was held at my University. The first stage of the interview process was a basic on campus interview which lasted for about 30-35 minutes and consisted of mainly behavioral questions. Currently, I'm waiting to hear back for the second round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

- On campus career fair - dropped off resume and spoke briefly with recruiter.

- On campus interview - was contacted two weeks later to sign up for an interview on campus (my school's campus) Asked simple questions like "Why would you like to work for Microsoft", "What is your favorite Microsoft technology and why", "how do you think your skills would help you contribute as an employee at Microsoft", "Describe a time when you solved a problem using technology" --> the more you talk about microsoft, the better.

- Microsoft destination interview - Was contacted almost 3 weeks later by a travel agent explaining that I had been invited to a final round interview at Microsoft in Charlotte. 3 day trip, with one day of interviews. The night of arrival all the candidates met for dinner and a meet and greet with the program managers and all the interviewers for the next day. Candidates were split into two groups, morning and afternoon.

On the day of the interviews, limousines picked up the group of candidates from the hotel and took them to the Charlotte office. After breakfast, each candidate was interviewed by four separate people, each one asking different questions and discussing their findings with the group afterwards. After the four interviews, the candidates all had lunch, and following that, candidates were taken one by one to leave the room and find out whether they had gotten the job or not.

THEY WILL ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT EVERY SINGLE ITEM ON YOUR RESUME so be prepared to discuss in depth and complete problems on white boards relating to your listed skills and experiences.

Interview Questions
    • One random question assessing thought process. Brain teaser   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Location was assigned randomly and salary was standard for all candidates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chevy Chase, MD

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Was invited to a 1:1 interview during a national career conference. A couple of weeks later was selected for the final round interviews which were 4 interviews back to back. Interviews weren't that hard and there were plenty of friendly Microsoft employees/recruiters giving you advice. Overall a great experience, Microsoft chooses the best candidates for the final round interviews and when you're there you can actually tell that they do by just speaking and interacting with the other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Why Microsoft?
      Tell me 3 things about you that make you stand out from the other candidates.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chevy Chase, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

Initial interview was at a conference after being reached out by Microsoft. Then a couple weeks later I was invited to the final days at one of they're campuses. Many interesting people to speak to. Recommend having a solid knowledge of other Microsoft products that isn't Office. But overall a positive learning experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a customer whom was upset due to they're important database being down?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

First round was basic behavioral which lasted for 30 mins. After that they called for final onsite interview.There is an informal dinner the day before interview where you get to interact with recruiters and employees working in Microsoft.There were back to back 4 interviews with a gap of 15 mins each. They do ask technical questions based on your resume. Overall it was a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • They gave a lot of scenario based questions..some were kind of absurd.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

This is the same story I shared for Technical Account Manager role. They basically interview you for these two roles, then decide with which one to go.

I've been contacted by a recruiter in September for an on-campus interview. I told her I was traveling, so she'd get back to me for a phone screen. 5 weeks passed, I had not received any invitation for a phone call even though we had been emailing every week. Then I reached out to another recruiter, this time I was directed to a scheduler, and was able to have a phone interview scheduled.

The phone interview went well, I was invited on site. All the candidates were gathered together at a pre-interview dinner. There were a lot of MACH hires there, most of them were nice, although some of them were really cocky. They were like - "oh no, I don't allow any Apple products around me", or "anything that begins with an i- can't be around". So I recommend you don't use your phone if it's an iPhone etc. Wear business casual.

The next day was our interview day. Although it was stated that we were supposed to wear business casual, all of the candidates were suited up! Yup, bring your suits... After spending almost an hour talking to people, they started calling our names. I had four back to back interviews. All of them were working in the Services division. They are actually interviewing you for both Associate Consultant and Technical Account Manager roles.

Generally, the interviewers were cool. However, these guys really dislike anything related to Apple or Google. I had an offer from Google, and I was interviewing with Microsoft just for the experience... All four interviewers asked about the offer. Like "Why Google?", "Which position?", "Why would you choose Microsoft over Google, or vice versa" etc. Some of the questions were technical; troubleshooting, TCP/IP, networking, Windows Server, layers etc. I don't know why they even ask networking questions to a person who's not going to be a Professional Support Technician.

My only advice would be, don't tell them about your offers. Otherwise, the whole interview focuses on your offer rather than your background, skills and what you want to do.