Microsoft

Average Difficulty
20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details – First round was basic behavioral which lasted for 30 mins. After that they called for final onsite interview.There is an informal dinner the day before interview where you get to interact with recruiters and employees working in Microsoft.There were back to back 4 interviews with a gap of 15 mins each. They do ask technical questions based on your resume. Overall it was a good experience.

Interview Question – They gave a lot of scenario based questions..some were kind of absurd.   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – - On campus career fair - dropped off resume and spoke briefly with recruiter.

- On campus interview - was contacted two weeks later to sign up for an interview on campus (my school's campus) Asked simple questions like "Why would you like to work for Microsoft", "What is your favorite Microsoft technology and why", "how do you think your skills would help you contribute as an employee at Microsoft", "Describe a time when you solved a problem using technology" --> the more you talk about microsoft, the better.

- Microsoft destination interview - Was contacted almost 3 weeks later by a travel agent explaining that I had been invited to a final round interview at Microsoft in Charlotte. 3 day trip, with one day of interviews. The night of arrival all the candidates met for dinner and a meet and greet with the program managers and all the interviewers for the next day. Candidates were split into two groups, morning and afternoon.

On the day of the interviews, limousines picked up the group of candidates from the hotel and took them to the Charlotte office. After breakfast, each candidate was interviewed by four separate people, each one asking different questions and discussing their findings with the group afterwards. After the four interviews, the candidates all had lunch, and following that, candidates were taken one by one to leave the room and find out whether they had gotten the job or not.

THEY WILL ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT EVERY SINGLE ITEM ON YOUR RESUME so be prepared to discuss in depth and complete problems on white boards relating to your listed skills and experiences.

Interview Question – One random question assessing thought process. Brain teaser   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Location was assigned randomly and salary was standard for all candidates.

Chevy Chase, MD

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Was invited to a 1:1 interview during a national career conference. A couple of weeks later was selected for the final round interviews which were 4 interviews back to back. Interviews weren't that hard and there were plenty of friendly Microsoft employees/recruiters giving you advice. Overall a great experience, Microsoft chooses the best candidates for the final round interviews and when you're there you can actually tell that they do by just speaking and interacting with the other candidates.

Interview Question – Why Microsoft?
Tell me 3 things about you that make you stand out from the other candidates.
  Answer Question

Chevy Chase, MD

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

Interview Details – Initial interview was at a conference after being reached out by Microsoft. Then a couple weeks later I was invited to the final days at one of they're campuses. Many interesting people to speak to. Recommend having a solid knowledge of other Microsoft products that isn't Office. But overall a positive learning experience.

Interview Question – How would you handle a customer whom was upset due to they're important database being down?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter a few days before a Career Conference by email asking for an interview offer at the career conference. They asked me to apply online as well to the positions they would be interviewing me for. They asked me to come as in clothes i felt comfortable and at the interview booth, the interviewer was dressed down and was really relaxed. He was a manager for the position i was interviewing for, so this served more as technical interview to see if the candidate knew their technical info. He was very thorough and put me in a lot of real life scenarios of the job to see how I would answer as well as to see my thinking process.

Interview Question – If you were a food, what food would you be?   View Answer

Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details – This is a on-campus interview. The whole process lasts about 30min. The HR person is very nice and friendly. She asked me 3 behavioral questions in total. The first one is "introducing yourself". The 2nd one is "talking about some difficulties when you are working in a team". The last one is "why Microsoft". She also talked about the final interview process and some company culture inside Microsoft

Interview Question – Easy interview. All the questions are very common behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I made it to the final round and Now I am preparing for it.

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied Online, got an email about interviewing on campus. Went through 30 minute interview with Employee on campus and was told right away I would be interviewing in either Seattle or Washington DC. Turned out my interview location was Charlotte NC. They flew me there and paid for everything and I interviewed about ~40 other people for ~20 spots. Went through 4 separate interviews where they tried to both get to know me and my skills and try to let me know what the position would entail.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my starting location but not salary.

Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details – This is the same story I shared for Technical Account Manager role. They basically interview you for these two roles, then decide with which one to go.

I've been contacted by a recruiter in September for an on-campus interview. I told her I was traveling, so she'd get back to me for a phone screen. 5 weeks passed, I had not received any invitation for a phone call even though we had been emailing every week. Then I reached out to another recruiter, this time I was directed to a scheduler, and was able to have a phone interview scheduled.

The phone interview went well, I was invited on site. All the candidates were gathered together at a pre-interview dinner. There were a lot of MACH hires there, most of them were nice, although some of them were really cocky. They were like - "oh no, I don't allow any Apple products around me", or "anything that begins with an i- can't be around". So I recommend you don't use your phone if it's an iPhone etc. Wear business casual.

The next day was our interview day. Although it was stated that we were supposed to wear business casual, all of the candidates were suited up! Yup, bring your suits... After spending almost an hour talking to people, they started calling our names. I had four back to back interviews. All of them were working in the Services division. They are actually interviewing you for both Associate Consultant and Technical Account Manager roles.

Generally, the interviewers were cool. However, these guys really dislike anything related to Apple or Google. I had an offer from Google, and I was interviewing with Microsoft just for the experience... All four interviewers asked about the offer. Like "Why Google?", "Which position?", "Why would you choose Microsoft over Google, or vice versa" etc. Some of the questions were technical; troubleshooting, TCP/IP, networking, Windows Server, layers etc. I don't know why they even ask networking questions to a person who's not going to be a Professional Support Technician.

My only advice would be, don't tell them about your offers. Otherwise, the whole interview focuses on your offer rather than your background, skills and what you want to do.

Interview Question – Unix questions   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Had first round interview on campus with recruiter. Received an email for second round within 2 weeks. Flew me out to a microsoft campus for second round interview. 4 interviews all 45 minutes each. Most questions were not to technical, mainly asking about me and my enthusiasm towards technology. Asked a few conceptual questions which had no right or wrong answers. Few questions to test my communication skills and descriptive skills for very technical things and dumbing them down for non-technical people.

Interview Questions

• How does DNS work and what are the various record types   Answer Question
  • Which state would you remove if you had to remove one from the USA.   Answer Question
  • If you worked at the Microsoft Library as a staff member and Bill Gates called up asking you to hold a book and you told him it would be ready for pickup in a few minutes. Then when you went to pickup book from shelf where it was said to be checked in, it was actually missing and nowhere to be found. How would you procede?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was not able to negotiate

Associate Consultant

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

Interview Details – The recruiter emailed me after seeing my resume on a resume CD from one of my organizations.
First was an on-campus interview (30 mins). Pretty basic.
Then they did on-site interviews in Charlotte. four 45-minute interviews plus one quick 5-minute "chat". At the end they all talk for about an hour while the candidates sit in another room, and then they pull you out one by one to tell you whether or not you got the job. Seems like the people who didn't get it were called first and sent home.

Interview Question – On-campus interview: Who is the smartest person you know?
On-site interview: What kind of computer/phone do you have? Why do you have that one? Do you like it? (The question itself isn't that hard but I felt like he was grilling me).
  Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!