Microsoft Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Feb 5, 2015
Updated Feb 5, 2015

3.4

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

4 interviewers, each with a variety of questions and conversation starters. Pretty intense process, but still laid back. Each person had a different role at a different business unit.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked a number of questions about how I would remodel a house to see my thought process/problem solving approach.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

First interview on campus. Very easy nothing hard just questions about your resume. Second interview they flew me up to Texas and had an interview at their office. 4 interviews, was there 12 to 6. They like to ask a lot of situational questions and put you in a spot where you can't think quick enough to see how you would handle the pressure.

Interview Questions
    • They asked to prepare a 20 min presentation couple of days before the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Initially contacted via University Recruiting and invited to come to University campus for 30 min interview. This first interview was strictly behavioral, mostly just a screening. Was then invited to fly out for the final round of interviews. Had 4 back to back interviews and was asked to present a 20 minute presentation on something I am passionate about. Then heard back within 3 days of interviewing and accepted an offer.

Interview Questions
    • If you could change one thing about the embedded system within a Coke Freestyle machine, what would you do?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

First interview was a 30 min on campus interview asking basic questions such as what Microsoft product do you like and what Microsodt product do you like the least. The second round interviews were 4 45 min interviews with managers. 1 of them we had to do a presentation on something we were passionate about.

Interview Questions
    • If you were left in a room with 2 candles with no uniform shape and unlimited matches, how would you know to leave the room in exactly 45 minutes? 1 candle takes exactly 60 minutes to burn completely.   Answer Question

Lots of travel depending on project.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

Great experience. I have an interview that from the same school as me. technical based. go through resume. ask you every single line of the resume. overall good experience. get to know the company

Interview Questions
    • technical question that i wasn't prepared for. ask everything on your resume. specific terms of coding   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

Arrived the day before the interview and participate in the pre-night social event. Network as much as you can, since it's very likely that you will run into your interviewer (though they won't tell you), and it's very important that you show your ability to socialize with strangers to make a good impression.

4 interviews back to back: presentation skills, engagement skills, traditional experience Q&A, and behavioral/situational interview.
    No tech questions. 20 min presentation was added this time to fresh things up.
    Interviewers were laid back and very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • No technical questions, but expect to be grilled on with resume entries.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Gave my resume at a recruitment event. They contacted me for an interview, which consisted mostly of behavioral questions and clarifications of things on my resume. It seemed like it went quite well, so I was a little surprised to not hear back. I guess since it was recruitment season they had a lot of applicants.

Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND
    Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I am currently in the process of interviewing with Microsoft for a position in Customer Facing Technology. First I was contacted by a Microsoft recruiter via LinkedIn. After following up with her, I was invited to a phone interview. This was strictly behavioral, with questions that you would expect (Why Microsoft, is your personality a Android, iPhone, or Windows Phone, etc..). It was a pretty low-key conversation, and surprisingly low stress. I will be going in for the final, in person interview in a few weeks.

Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA

I applied via the Microsoft College recruiting website and also attended a information session which was held at my University. The first stage of the interview process was a basic on campus interview which lasted for about 30-35 minutes and consisted of mainly behavioral questions. Currently, I'm waiting to hear back for the second round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

- On campus career fair - dropped off resume and spoke briefly with recruiter.

- On campus interview - was contacted two weeks later to sign up for an interview on campus (my school's campus) Asked simple questions like "Why would you like to work for Microsoft", "What is your favorite Microsoft technology and why", "how do you think your skills would help you contribute as an employee at Microsoft", "Describe a time when you solved a problem using technology" --> the more you talk about microsoft, the better.

- Microsoft destination interview - Was contacted almost 3 weeks later by a travel agent explaining that I had been invited to a final round interview at Microsoft in Charlotte. 3 day trip, with one day of interviews. The night of arrival all the candidates met for dinner and a meet and greet with the program managers and all the interviewers for the next day. Candidates were split into two groups, morning and afternoon.

On the day of the interviews, limousines picked up the group of candidates from the hotel and took them to the Charlotte office. After breakfast, each candidate was interviewed by four separate people, each one asking different questions and discussing their findings with the group afterwards. After the four interviews, the candidates all had lunch, and following that, candidates were taken one by one to leave the room and find out whether they had gotten the job or not.

THEY WILL ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT EVERY SINGLE ITEM ON YOUR RESUME so be prepared to discuss in depth and complete problems on white boards relating to your listed skills and experiences.

Interview Questions
    • One random question assessing thought process. Brain teaser   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Location was assigned randomly and salary was standard for all candidates.