Microsoft

Updated Nov 8, 2014

3.6

49 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

THIS IS FOR THE SUMMER INTERNSHIP
    The preliminary round was held online in select colleges and we were called for an onsite interview. Those with good thinking approach were also chosen and not solely based on getting the solution. There was also a coding round for those with lesser score in the online round. A simple problem was given to many students and we were expected to solve it. If the approach was deeply flawed, the person would be eliminated. The next round was a technical round where a 1-1 interview with a Microsoft employee was held. The duration was about an hour and was quite strenuous. Following the round, the HR manager will let you know the feedback and tell you the results. The HR manager was very encouraging and asked the eliminated candidates to reapply after working their skills. This feedback really made a very positive impact on me. The final round would be a HR round I guess(I could not crack the technical round).

Interview Questions
    • Design a module to enable communication between two remote computers. The sender will have the software but the receiver will not, but the message should be passed.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

Initially there was a Technical objective round. Shortlisted candidates had a programming round.
    Then they shortlisted few candidates for interviews in company office.There were 2 technical and 1 Hr round(namesake). The first technical round they asked about my projects.Then they few basics in java and asked me to code few problems. Questions related to databases and networks were also asked. Second technical round had few coding questions. They were looking for our problem solving ability and approach. The interviews were really supportive. They used to give hints if were struct during the thinking process.

Interview Questions
    • Some basic question related to Public-private key encryption.   View Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I got a mail from Microsoft that there are openings for the post of Associate Consultant. I needed to send resume if interested and was told if my resume got shortlisted I would be sent a link for online assessment. The requirement was 1-3 years of experience in automation testing. I applied and got call for the next round.

Round 1 : Online test consisting of 80 questions to be answered in 90 mins. It consisted of 4 sections of 20 questions each. English, logical reasoning, quants and technical- these were the four sections. The test was conducted by CoCubes.

Round 2 : Personal interview round of approx 40-50 mins. Completely technical round consisting of 2-3 coding questions wherein I had to write code and tell the test cases. I was asked testing related questions like SDLC, test case design techniques, software models like agile, waterfall etc. I was asked to implement find and replace functionality for a text editor and few other questions related to it.

Round 3 : Personal interview round of approx 40-50 mins again. This time they asked me to design test cases for real life objects like AC knob present in car. Certain questions from DBMS wherein I had to write query. Some logical questions and puzzles. 2 coding questions based on arrays and stacks.

Round 4 : Managerial interview of approx 1hour 15 mins. This round was telephonic and I was asked about my work experience and questions related to my work. Cross questions based on my replies. Basic purpose was to check my knowledge of the business process I have been working on. Then some attitute and behavioural questions.

Round 5 : HR round of approx 15-20 mins. I was asked general real life questions wherein I was given some situation and I had to provide solutions to eradicate the problem. Few questions related to my CV.

The interviewers were very friendly and did not make me feel nervous at all. Overall it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Questions to write program on strings , arrays and stacks like Reverse a String, find and replace functionality in tect editor etc.   View Answer

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

Interview was 5years experience in c++ and dot net.

Round one: 45 min..I couldn't surpass this
    Round two:
    Round three:

This through a staffing company with client being Microsoft and permanent in staffing company.

Interview Questions
    • Difference between a crash and exception.

Difference between macros and inline functions.

Mfc: message maps and virtual functions.

Different calling convention.

Late n early binding...

Garbage collector algorithm. When gc will fail to clean the memory.

How to know heap size, crash dump analysis, What is a stack n how to know stack memory size.
      Commands in windbg.

Questions on Critical section, mutex, semaphores. Can we use mutex in single process and how?

Working of MSIL and JIT COMPILER.

Can a C# code, use c++ code and call kernel functions like createfile.

Areas: dot net, oops, operating systems, thread synchronization.

Difference in execution steps of c++ and c# code

Software Design Engineer (SDE) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I got interview call for CRM team opening in Bangalore. My friend in Microsoft refer me so I got direct interview call instead of Skype round. There were 4 round (last round was Manager round). Each round had some algorithm designing questions and some system designing questions. Some of questions are -
    1. Calculate given expression consist of /, *, + and - operators only (check for multi-digit numbers, unary minus operator, divide by zero etc)
    2. Serialization of balanced and un-balanced binary tree
    3. Some general linked list and tree based questions

Interview Questions
    • Design the system which take input some important data and information about importance of input data. This system should send data after deciding transfer protocol and encryption algorithm. So main question is how to decide on protocol and encryption algorithm. Also system should adept such that in future we can add some new algorithm and protocol also with out much changes in the system.   View Answer

Because of these two reason -
    1. I asked for SDE2 position instead of SDE
    2. Salary offered to me was not great, they are giving more joining bonus instead of more base part of salery

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

5 rounds - 3 days
    round 1 was 15 output based programming questions , for 30 minutes
    was very easy
    round - 2 was coding - had two questions
    was easy , but I hadn't practiced enough coding.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

I got a call from Microsoft and the process took 3 days- interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

First there was a online test containing four sections(Aptitude+Reasoning+English+Technical) conducted by Cocubes.

At Microsoft Office :
    On clearing online test they called for interview on Microsoft Office .

1 Written Objective Test(Aptitude+Reasoning) followed by 2 Technical 1 Managerial and 1 final HR interview

1.Technical F2F Round 1:Duration: 1 hour to 1 hr 30 mins
       -First Started with my Project
         -Asked architectural diagram and Entity Diagram
         -Asked Questions on Entity Diagram
         -Asked scenario wise questions to solve the problem in my project.

-After this asked reasoning type questions
      -Then started Tradition interview
        -Asked questions on OOPS and MVC and SQL Linq etc whatever you written in your resume.

Explain very clearly and in depth your past projects and your role.

2.Telephonic technical Round 2: Duration: 45 mins
      -Asked about profession carreer and brief about project and some more general and technical questions.

3.AA(Managerial) Round :Duration: 15 mins
      -Asked some general questions for checking your attitude.

Interview Questions
    • Reasoning Type Questions :
      1 Find out the missing no.
        i.e. If the range is 5 and user enters only 4 nos ranging between no. 1 to 5
      2. Find max and min no. from string of no.s
      3. Find out the least repetitive occurrence of any specific character in a string of characters.

Technical Questions:

-Why delete can be rollback but truncate not?
      -Why does C++ support multiple inheritance but C# does not?
      -Where does object(containing int and string values) stores in the memory ?
      -Why does 'select' comes in last in LINQ?
      -Serialization
      -Design patterns
      -Where Sessionid stores?
      -Cookieless Session
      -AJAX call
      -What are the ways to loading Partial view?
      -How can be restrict a piece of code which will run only on Ajax call?
      -Can a web service return data reader object and Why?
      -URL Routing and URL Rewriting
      -ASPX life Cycle
      -On Which state we should change the attribute of any aspx control?
      -Overriding and Shadowing
      -Garbage Collector
      -Strong name Assembly
      -Difference between throw and throw(ex)

Answer Question
    Didn't negotiate as they were offering much higher than my expectation.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft.

1st round: 50 questions. 25 questions basic C and C++. 25 questions maths. (data interpretation)'
    2nd round: coding
    Q1. replace all spaces with $ in a sentence
    Q2. something related to binary tree
    Q3: linked list implement
    3rd round: interview
    about database, permutation and combination of all the given alphabets and networks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

Consisted of 15 mcqs mostly related to c/c++ and probability. It was fairly easy and very few people were eliminated
    Round 2(online)(1 hour):
    Round 3(Group fly round)(30 minutes) :
    Round 4(F2F)(90 minutes):
    Round 5(F2F):

Interview Questions
    • Given an array of integers where all the elements occur odd number of times except 3 elements which occur even number of times, find the 3 elements.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Written test followed by 3 rounds

Interview Questions
    • Mostly there were problem solving questions and questions depending on your resume. I recall the following questions:

1. Given a linked list containing 0s and 1s rearrange it so that all 0s come before 1s..... O(n)

2. Given a binary tree find the max diameter and the two end nodes of it.

3. Delete the kth node from end of a linked list (single pass)

There were some more.. That I don't recall.

I work in NLP and ML. So they asked a lot of questions regarding my project and internships. So prepare your resume well..