Microsoft

19 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)
Beijing, Beijing (China)

I interviewed at Microsoft in August 2010.

Interview Details – Paper exam first for wide range of recent graduate. Then sort by scores and phone interview, very long, more than 1 hour. Then on site interview, first 3 round, tech and personal and English. If you are lucky, next 3 round until night. Get passed if you see senior managers.

Interview Question – What's engineering?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2012.

Interview Details – Coding test, and then interview with Skype. In the interview, I was asked to explain what I have done before and am doing now, which programming languages I am using, what research topics I am interested in, what kind of project I would like to commit, whether I would like to submit a paper to a conference or contribute some products.

Interview Question – Explain my paper which is my previous major (not directly related to my current major).   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Not sure if I am the only one, but the process of applying the position is not a happy one. The HR is not professional in terms of setting up interview schedule. I got last minute notice that the interview was rescheduled to another day with another interviewer, in a different location, without even providing the exact address of the office. There was no apology at all. I am very disappointed at the quality of the Microsoft's HR, who didn't show any respect to applicants.

Very Difficult Interview

NLP Group Interview

NLP Group
Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details – How to find a random number from 1 to 100 with one number removed.

Interview Question – Use binary expression to solve the above question   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – As a joint PhD program of Tsinghua University and Microsoft Research Asia, the interview is not only for the intern position but for the PhD program. The interview process contains totally 4 rounds of 1:1 inverviews. Firstly introduce myself and what I've learned in college, and then discuss my past projects and achievements, career interests. Most of the discussion are not very challenging.

Interview Question – How to improve a school project, that I had never thought to improve.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer
Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2013.

Interview Details – 1 row of written-exam
3 rows of interview

Interview Question – 1. Warm-up Question: about preview projects.
2. Warm-up Question: difference between heap and stack.
3. Algorithm: given a unordered array, filter the elements that can make up an ascending sub-array without changing their order and the sub-array should be the longest one.
4. Code implement: delete all the blank in a string; string inverse.
5. Some questions on testing trick.
  Answer Question

Ecosystem Manager Interview

Ecosystem Manager
Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview by HR
F2F interview by line manager
F2F interview by division head
F2F interview by HR

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)
Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2012.

Interview Details – Had the interview about 3 hours ago. 3 x 1 hour slots with 3 different people.
1st) Developer, 2) Another Developer, 3) Tester.
Went really fast (or so it seemed) and most questions were standard technical questions.
Not enough questions about me as a person. Just Q's that i should have revised more i guess! I got an answer pretty quickly because i had an offer from another company so they sped things up for me. Overall it wasn't too challenging to be honest. I just fluffed it a bit and had another job in the back of my mind.

Interview Questions

Research Software Development Engineer Interview

Research Software Development Engineer
Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – There are 8 round test, 45 min for each.
First, there are 2 developer to ask me question about mathematics and programming, not quite hard but they are considering your basis. Such as how to calculate the Pi, and reverse a string.
Then, followed by researchers to ask me my vision and other question related to your background. The researchers might ask question related to his own research. For example, a researcher ask me how to broadcast message to other node and avoid redundancy and collision, just because he is research in sensor network.

Interview Question – To avoid redundancy sent in sensor network and collision detection   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II
Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2012.

Interview Details – It was 2 round. 2 round's face to face. Each round has 1 interviewer and 1 interviewee. Just ask questions about basic algorithms and data structures, like binary search and trees. Question: How do you output the leafs of a binary tree?

Interview Question – Given a set of strings. Check if a new string is equal to any of them. Here equal means the letters are the same, like abbc=bacb   View Answers (4)

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft interview questions and advice in Beijing, Beijing. All 19 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.