Microsoft

Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Manager Intern Interview

Program Manager Intern
Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

Interview Details – My initial interview was at my university's campus and lasted approximately 30 minutes. My interviewer was 20 minutes late.. He asked me two questions: 1) What is the biggest technical challenge that you are proud of overcoming? 2) How many elevators do you need for a building (after asking some questions, the building is 40 floors - first 10 floors are retail, the next 20 are corporate, and the top 10 are residential)? 4 weeks later, I finally heard from an interview scheduler that I've made it to the final round interview in Redmond, WA. I had a pending offer so they worked with me to get up there as quickly as possible. They covered everything including airfare, rental car, food, and lodging so that was nice. On interview day, I first spoke with my recruiter for less than 10 minutes. I was rushed to the Bellevue office because of the time it took to get there. I ended up hanging in the waiting room for 30 minutes before I was called. The first interviewer asked me a few questions about my resume and then two technical-ish questions. First one was how would I improve the elevator and the second was to write a program to find the area of the intersection of two rectangles. I didn't have any breaks in between any of my interviews. The second interviewer asked me detailed questions about a project on my resume. He then gave me a scenario with a manager, a dev team, and a customer group. The manager wants me, the PM, to increase revenue by $1mil however way I can. The customer wants to increase by $2mil but they will provide resources. The dev team says that they can do $1mil but it won't be immediate. How do you handle the situation? I guess the main point was to notice that the $2mil is actually not better than $1mil because they will be providing more workers than the dev team would've. I didn't make that realization so that probably is where I lost the position. The next interviewer was late by about 15 min (so I guess I did get some break). We ate lunch and just talked about what I like about Bing and what I don't like and random stuff like what I do for fun. We then went back to his office and talked about things on my resume. He then asked me how I would improve the elevator there. They seem to really like questions about elevators. He then told me that I was done for the day and could head back to the recruiting building. I knew at that point I didn't get it since I only got 3 interviews. They got back to me the next day via email that I didn't get it. Overall, it was a good experience and I hope to try again for full-time in the future.

Interview Question – You are given two rectangles. Write a program to find the area of the intersection.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Software Development Engineer II
Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Interview Details – Standard hiring process: 1)Applied online, 2) 1 Phone Screen, 3) On site with 6 rounds of interviews. The On site experience was very pleasant, and all the interviewers were well prepared and made it look like a general discussion rather than a Q&A session. My only complaint is that the actual offer was delayed due to some internal re-organization. This delay of about 3 months made me really anxious. But my recruiter and Project manager were in constant touch which was a great help.

Interview Question – Standard algorithm based questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was on par with my expectations and was able to bump up my sign on bonus a bit after negotiating.

Marketing Manager MBA Intern Interview

Marketing Manager MBA Intern
Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2011.

Interview Details – Microsoft came to Wharton campus to do first round interviews. Having also been on the other side of the table, I can tell you this process is pretty random. They do no have a good system for choosing interviewers, so you sometime get completely untrained people. Once, they even sent undergrad hires who'd worked at Microsoft for one year (these are 23 year olds with no prior work experience) to interview MBAs. This system has problems. They try to give interviewers a few questions to ask, but they're extremely high level and there are no suggestions for good or bad answers. Basically, getting through the first round is completely random.

They then flew me out to Bellevue for the second round interview. The interviewers are the hiring managers. They each interview the candidates they were most interested in and then they kind of debate over who get whom. The mentality seems less to be that you need to be hired into Microsoft in general, but more like each individual manager is looking for his/her employee. Your strategy for getting through this round is to find one or two managers to who will want you the most rather than focusing on pleasing everyone. This is not an interview where you need everyone's approval to be hired into a group. Each manager is kind of out for themselves (although they do discuss and you can lose the job if one manager hates you while another manager loved you).

Interview Question – Everything they ask is really straight forward. Name a product that you think is marketed well. Name a product that you think is marketed poorly.   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern
Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

Interview Details – Passed the first round on campus. Then they flew me to Bellevue, WA for on-site. 4 interviews back to back. Both behavioral and technical questions were asked. The recruiter told us the result right after the interview

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, just open technical questions that require a clear thinking process   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied Online

Phone screen with outsourced recruiter - Generic questions, and he had no details about the position.

Phone screen with hiring manager - Gave more background about the position, went fine, but I still felt like they had no idea who or what they wanted

Email later that day for in-person, noticed the position title had changed

In-Person - Spent 15 minutes with recruiter and found out I was the last candidate to interview. Awesome. This was followed by 15 minute break, then 3 back to back meetings, all of whom asked the same generic behavioral questions. "Tell me about a time when you had to escalate" or "Tell me about a time you had to ask for more time to deliver a project". First interviewer was on time, next two were 15 minutes late each (no, they weren't meeting, that happened at the conclusion of the block, they were just late). They each spent an inordinate amount of time taking notes, as if that was their bigger focus than the actual interview.

Interview Question – Seriously, none. The behavioral style is great, but it's also predictable.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer
Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2012.

Interview Details – Be confident in what you are saying and have couple different variants for each solution that you provide. It is always nice to optimize your answer for different input values.

Interview Question – How to sort 2 queues without additional containers.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)
Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screening, 5 on campus interviews, featuring technical problem solving following by testing question

Interview Question – Don't recall...most questions were reasonable if you prepare well   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – New grad offer...no negotiation

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II
Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Had 2 phone interviews, one by HR, one by an Engineer, and then was invited for on site.
On-site 3 interviews.

Interview Question – Design a Battleship game.   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
Bellevue, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2009.

Interview Details – After meeting one of the recruiters at a job fair on the east coast, I quickly secured a phone screen interview with two managers that went extremely well. They flew me across country out to Washington state for a face to face all day meeting. The time difference combined with a full day of interviews was draining to say the least. I interviewed with eight different people. Everything went fine until I interviewed with one guy who was also pegged to be my lunch date for the day. It seems that he was in some kind of political battle with the two managers that wanted to hire me. They warned me ahead of time that he may be difficult. The entire lunch was spent fielding technical questions...most of which were benign..and I began to feel that the job description i had been given wasn't the job being interviewed for. Went I returned, I had to wait in a meeting room while I was being "discussed". One thing you will note when you interview here, you will interview with a lot of people and after each interview they will leave you in a room while they talk about you. Also, during many interviews, the interviewer will instant message other interviewers and triangulate your answers with what you have told others. Its very distracting and unprofessional if you ask me. That's something they need to stop. I then met with the hiring manager who was red faced and stated that he had a heated conversation with the guy who took me to lunch. I then interviewed with a couple other people who's job it was to find out if I could be placed anywhere else. I didn't get a job. A few months later, I went thru the process again for another job. Again I had a phone screen that went well, two phone screens in fact. I noted that the manager I talked to seemed a bit down. I later found out he was being demoted. Anyway, they paid again to fly me across country, put me up in a hotel, give me a rental car, and keep me onsite for a day's worth of interviews. I didn't get hired this time either. The problem with microsoft is the culture...it doesn't fit with any other IT company I've worked for. Most employees are young and inexperienced, or have been with the company their entire lives. They have little or no knowledge of the IT industry in general or other technologies outside of microsoft. The project managers I met with didn't know anything that a project manager should, such as what a RFP is, SOW, PMP, etc. The technical guys only spoke in a microsoft context. They said they had worked with other technologies, such as linux, but in talking with them it was clear they had not. The worst was the job descriptions...they are unclear and don't represent what the job is really about, which is also a bit unclear. In the first set of interviews, I thought it was a senior engineer or architect position but it turned out to be nothing more than a 3rd tier technical support job for operations. Nothing I would really have been interested in. I also can't believe they spent so much money bringing me out twice and didn't do a better job of interviewing. The process is condescending to say the least. This is a dead behemoth of a company that still thinks its a startup and has something going on.

Interview Question – What is an RFP?   View Answer

Intern PM Interview

Intern PM
Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details – I had 4 hour long interviews with one being over lunch. None of the interviews were very technical as the PM position is not very technical. The asked questions which made you think and allowed them to see how you think. They don't care what your answer is they just want to see how you react to them asking you certain questions and how you handle when they challenge your answer

Interview Question – not a difficult question but its the question everyone asked. They want to know how passionate you are about technology and Microsoft especially so everyone asks "Why Microsoft" and "Why do you want to get into technology?"   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft interview questions and advice in Bellevue, WA. All 68 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.