Microsoft

3.3

74 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I cleared my campus interview and came down to Bellevue. The interview process started at 7.30AM. With 4 rounds of interview each 45 min. I found 3 of them to be pretty simple but the last one was very hard :/. I interviewed at the Bing office.

Interview Questions
    • longest subsequence of a string, how to check if a tree is a BST. queue using stacks, Area of overlapping between 2 squares, Count the number of spaces in a sting, remove a node from the linked list, etc   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in June 2014.

I wen through the full interview process, from recruiter screen up to the full day in person interviews in Bellevue (the position was for the Dynamics AX platform).

My initial technical screen was pretty standard, the question was determining if two strings were anagrams of each other. Aside from this I was able to speak with the senior engineer who was interviewing my about the position and some pro's and con's which was really great. He provided some good insight for me.

After the technical screen I was invited in for full day of interviews in Bellevue. I flew out to Seattle and stayed for 2 nights. The entire travel process was great, they covered everything and put me up
    in a nice hotel. The interview day was long, I had a series of interviews each testing different areas.
    All of the interviews were with senior engineers with 5 - 20 years experience.
    The first interview covered SQL, I was given a schema and asked to point out any issues/improvements and then write some queries.
    The next 2 covered CS based questions like algorithms, runtime analysis .. etc.
    Next I had a lunch interview where I was able to talk with another engineer about his role and get a little more of a sense of the day to day life.
    Finally I had one more algorithms based interview and that was the end.

Overall I found that the interview process was very well done and the hr staff at Microsoft were really easy to deal with. When it comes to the atmosphere at Microsoft it has a really corporate feel to it and truthfully it was not my top choice having been there but that's more of a personal preference.

Interview Questions
    • Given a number write a function to convert that number to a string that would be seen on a cheque.
      Example:
      2376 becomes two thousand three hundred and seventy six.

Answer Question

Technical Duty Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

Two Phone interviews, was not picked up for an on site interview. First phone screen with an HR rep, second phone screen with a hiring manager. The timing of the second interview was unexpected, so I wasn't as well-prepared as I wanted to be. Had to actively follow up to determine that I hadn't been selected for the on site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Asked what I could offer to the company to make them want to keep me around for 10 years.   Answer Question

Program Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

My initial interview was at my university's campus and lasted approximately 30 minutes. My interviewer was 20 minutes late.. He asked me two questions: 1) What is the biggest technical challenge that you are proud of overcoming? 2) How many elevators do you need for a building (after asking some questions, the building is 40 floors - first 10 floors are retail, the next 20 are corporate, and the top 10 are residential)? 4 weeks later, I finally heard from an interview scheduler that I've made it to the final round interview in Redmond, WA. I had a pending offer so they worked with me to get up there as quickly as possible. They covered everything including airfare, rental car, food, and lodging so that was nice. On interview day, I first spoke with my recruiter for less than 10 minutes. I was rushed to the Bellevue office because of the time it took to get there. I ended up hanging in the waiting room for 30 minutes before I was called. The first interviewer asked me a few questions about my resume and then two technical-ish questions. First one was how would I improve the elevator and the second was to write a program to find the area of the intersection of two rectangles. I didn't have any breaks in between any of my interviews. The second interviewer asked me detailed questions about a project on my resume. He then gave me a scenario with a manager, a dev team, and a customer group. The manager wants me, the PM, to increase revenue by $1mil however way I can. The customer wants to increase by $2mil but they will provide resources. The dev team says that they can do $1mil but it won't be immediate. How do you handle the situation? I guess the main point was to notice that the $2mil is actually not better than $1mil because they will be providing more workers than the dev team would've. I didn't make that realization so that probably is where I lost the position. The next interviewer was late by about 15 min (so I guess I did get some break). We ate lunch and just talked about what I like about Bing and what I don't like and random stuff like what I do for fun. We then went back to his office and talked about things on my resume. He then asked me how I would improve the elevator there. They seem to really like questions about elevators. He then told me that I was done for the day and could head back to the recruiting building. I knew at that point I didn't get it since I only got 3 interviews. They got back to me the next day via email that I didn't get it. Overall, it was a good experience and I hope to try again for full-time in the future.

Interview Questions
    • You are given two rectangles. Write a program to find the area of the intersection.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

Passed the first round on campus. Then they flew me to Bellevue, WA for on-site. 4 interviews back to back. Both behavioral and technical questions were asked. The recruiter told us the result right after the interview

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, just open technical questions that require a clear thinking process   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Applied Online

Phone screen with outsourced recruiter - Generic questions, and he had no details about the position.

Phone screen with hiring manager - Gave more background about the position, went fine, but I still felt like they had no idea who or what they wanted

Email later that day for in-person, noticed the position title had changed

In-Person - Spent 15 minutes with recruiter and found out I was the last candidate to interview. Awesome. This was followed by 15 minute break, then 3 back to back meetings, all of whom asked the same generic behavioral questions. "Tell me about a time when you had to escalate" or "Tell me about a time you had to ask for more time to deliver a project". First interviewer was on time, next two were 15 minutes late each (no, they weren't meeting, that happened at the conclusion of the block, they were just late). They each spent an inordinate amount of time taking notes, as if that was their bigger focus than the actual interview.

Interview Questions
    • Seriously, none. The behavioral style is great, but it's also predictable.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Standard hiring process: 1)Applied online, 2) 1 Phone Screen, 3) On site with 6 rounds of interviews. The On site experience was very pleasant, and all the interviewers were well prepared and made it look like a general discussion rather than a Q&A session. My only complaint is that the actual offer was delayed due to some internal re-organization. This delay of about 3 months made me really anxious. But my recruiter and Project manager were in constant touch which was a great help.

Interview Questions
    The offer was on par with my expectations and was able to bump up my sign on bonus a bit after negotiating.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Had 2 phone interviews, one by HR, one by an Engineer, and then was invited for on site.
    On-site 3 interviews.

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

Did one interview with me on campus, and then flew me out for a weekend. While there I was interviewed by 4 or 5 different people. Once the interviews were done, I waited (along with a group of others who were interviewing) for decisions to be made. As we left they gave offers to some of us.

Interview Questions
    • How would you create an algorithm to sort wine?   View Answer

Intern PM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

I had 4 hour long interviews with one being over lunch. None of the interviews were very technical as the PM position is not very technical. The asked questions which made you think and allowed them to see how you think. They don't care what your answer is they just want to see how you react to them asking you certain questions and how you handle when they challenge your answer

Interview Questions
    • not a difficult question but its the question everyone asked. They want to know how passionate you are about technology and Microsoft especially so everyone asks "Why Microsoft" and "Why do you want to get into technology?"   Answer Question