Microsoft

3.3

74 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

I was being interviewed for a summer internship with this title, they flew me up to Washington for an in-person group interview after a screening interview at my college (which I got through handing a resume to a recruiter through the career fair). This screening interview was fairly simple, one technical question, some questions about what I'd like to work on, etc. Everything is paid for when you're up their, car, hotel, and food.

In person interview was a 5 rounds that either lasted throughout the morning or afternoon (there were two groups of interviewees from colleges across the country) and you spend about an hour with each person, and by the end they tell you on the spot if you've passed or failed.

Each interview asks some type of technical question where you solve an algorithm, everyone asks for a self evaluation on how you think you're doing at this stage in the interview.

Office where I interviewed was fairly interesting, one section had meeting rooms that all referenced video games from Halo to Half Life, there was also one of those Microsoft tablet tables with games on it, as well as an Xbox 360 running Halo. They serve some food, but it's not worth remembering, and there's breaks in-between interviews where they very much discourage you from discussing any of the questions being asked.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult about the technical questions, I came from a public school in CA near the start of my JR year, and by the end of the year every type of question that was asked was covered in class. They don't look for the absolute best answer, as long as it's not overly complicated.   Answer Question

Sales Desk Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2012.

First you meet with the contractor to help filter you prior to the interview. The actual interview is three back to back 20 minute interview sessions with various leadership team members. They ask about your skills or strengths and weaknesses, your abilities with programs such as Microsoft Office/SharePoint as well as interesting things you've done in life. Additionally they are really trying to get to know how you act and what type of attitude you carry, as it will affect the team. Go for a can-do positive attitude and good energy!

Interview Questions
    • What do you think this job really is/what do you think we do here.   View Answer
    It wasn't much of a negotiation, everyone pretty much has the same benefits.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

interviewed at Microsoft in August 2012.

everything went smooth from the initial communication to the interview

Interview Questions
    • just asked about my previous experience and why microsoft   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in June 2012.

First interview in English in my life. I was so nervous, stupid and rushed...
    Interviewer did his work the same time I was interviewed :). He has not interest to me.
    Interview time 1 hour 30 minutes long. I will do my experience better and try to go to interview again later. It was very useful and interesting for me. List have 9 questions.

Interview Questions
    • what is method overloading and overriding? Difference? Give examples.   View Answer
    • Describe the accessibility modifier "protected internal"   Answer Question
    • What is interface? Give me an example of using interface.   View Answer
    • What is thread? Write code sample for a simple thread.   View Answer
    • What are the differences between value types and reference types? Give examples of value types and reference types.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in June 2012.

Be confident in what you are saying and have couple different variants for each solution that you provide. It is always nice to optimize your answer for different input values.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in May 2012.

receive a call from the manager, no response

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2012.

Microsoft came on my campus and I got a phone interview through that. The phone interview was 45min and was mostly to see how much I knew about Microsoft, the tech industry, and a few behavioral questions. About a week after that I was told I was invited to a Microsoft interview day in Seattle. There was a networking event the night before the interview, and the interview day consisted of 4 1on1 interviews for 1 hour each. They will be communicating with each other during the interviews and will ask you things that the others forgot. My questions were mostly behavioral and experience related, but I did get a few technical and design questions. I waited for an hour after the interviews in the lobby and was offered the job!

Interview Questions
    The offer is non-negotiable, but is very good.

Program Manager II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2012.

A recruiter reached out to me with a program manager opportunity on her team. She asked if I would be interested in a technical phone screen with the hiring manager. One week later, I spoke to the hiring manager and he described the opportunity and asked about my background. The meeting was scheduled for 60 minutes but we talked for 90. Great conversation.

Recruiter called me back one week later and mentioned the team was interested in having an in-house interview. The position needed to be filled quickly so the onsite interview was scheduled for the following week.

On the day of the interview - I was scheduled for 4, one on one interviews (HR, dev manager, Sr. PM, and Group Manager). The first being the HR manager who asked typical HR questions. The second interview was with the development manager who focused on my technical background and had me solve a problem the team was actively working on. I then met with the hiring manager who I had previously spoken to. I answered a few design questions on the white board before heading to the cafeteria for lunch. My last scheduled interview was with the group manager who was very personable and wanted to know my work experience/background and wanted to know my reason for wanting to work with Microsoft. Near the end of the 60 minutes, the group manager looked at his email and let me know I had one more interview that day. He escorted me down to the reception area and I would meet with another person in 90 minutes. Turns out it was the Division Manager, I guess things were going well. After the interview, I was lead to the lobby and told I would hear from HR within 5-10 days.

Overall, the team had a great dynamic and were very outgoing and encouraging. They were very eager to answer questions and tell me the great benefits of working with Microsoft.

The HR manager called me back within 3 days and offered me the job.

Interview Questions
    • What's my favorite website? What do I like about it? How would I improve it?   Answer Question
    • Describe something within my career that I was most proud of? What did I learn from the process? How would I have made it better?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2012.

I first got an interview by handing in my resume at a career fair. I chatted with the guy a bit, but he wasn't the chief recruiter so I didn't expect much. However, 2 weeks later I got a notice that I would have an on campus interview. The interviewer seemed kind of awkward and I didn't get the programming question right, but to my surprise I got an email a week later saying I would be flying out to Redmond to interview. Although the email said I would have flexibility in scheduling, when I was contacted 5 days later, it was with a "you're flying out this Thursday" (they notified me of this Monday). Couldn't get it rescheduled, but hey, it's Microsoft. I flew out for their 2 day interviewing event for the Online Services Division, during which they comp you plane tickets, hotel for 2 nights, money for cabs, and stipends for meals. They take you out in a limo bus on the night before interviews to "meet recruiters", but overall that was pretty useless and you basically just start stressing out with all your fellow interviewees. The next day you have 3-5 45 minute interviews (each is 1:1). They're pretty difficult, but the nice thing is they give you your results (offer or no offer) right after you finish. Overall it's a stressful process, one which is unnecessarily drawn out. But the interviewers on site were overall pleasant people. The whole process just feels a little bit like an episode of American Idol.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a data structure for which getValue(int index), setValue(int index, int value), and setAllValues(int value) are all O(1).   View Answers (2)

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2012.

Initially found Microsoft through MIT's career office and applied for an interview. The interviews had standard technical questions. The recruiter, however, was very pushy and intrusive; he did not make me want to work for Microsoft. That was a disappointment.

Interview Questions
    • How do you quickly compute a knight's tour on a chessboard?   View Answer

Has better offers from elsewhere