Microsoft

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Redmond, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Interview Details – Microsoft moves quickly and is very professional throughout the process. I was contacted by a staffing consultant and within a week I had a phone interview. During the phone interview, I was told that I would be brought in for what Microsoft calls a "loop." A loop entails an in-person round of interviews. As I understand, the loop is progressive: So long as your interviews are going well, they add more to your schedule for that day. The final interview, should the candidate make it this far, would be an "As-Appropriate" with the lead of the team. From being contacted by the staffing consultant to concluding the in-person "loop" and receiving an offer took about 10 days.

Interview Question – I had a few logic questions thrown my way. One person asked me to explain the moon cycles. He was more interested in my logic than in the exactness of my science.   View Answer

Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

Interview Details – The process took a few weeks. After the inital call with HR I didn't hear back for a couple of weeks before being called in for a round of interviews because the manager had been traveling. The process took all day with hours of time in between to spare. I had to navigate myself around campus. It is not the same as it use to be.

Interview Question – Tell me something about someone else you know in this position and what the did wrong.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2010.

Interview Details – Went through 3 phone screens (1 by the hiring manager/director of the group), 2 by recruiters/HR people.

Then went in for in-person interviews that were split across different days because of interviewer availability.
Standard behavioral questions (tell me a time when..., etc.), nothing too heavy.

They ended up going with an internal candidate.

Interview Question – Tell me your three biggest weaknesses   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2008.

Interview Details – Great experience overall. Recruiter was extremely professional and on top of the details. Interview consisted of 7 different interviewers - maybe too many? - but don't know enough about group dynamics to know for sure. Be prepared, anticipate the tough questions, and know it's a long interview day. Smart people who want to figure out if you fit the culture.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job? Why Microsoft? Why now?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Wrong time to leave current position.

Redmond, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2009.

Interview Details – Microsoft interviews are strongly socialized - the process and (type of) questions are surprisingly uniform. Typically, there are 4-5 interviewers, plus the hiring manager, if you're considered a strong candidate. These group opinions are very powerful in the hiring process - it's extremely rare that a manager overrules the panel, even when privately, the manager may indicate that he or she would have hired the candidate based on their own read. (Bad hires eventually count against all the interviewers...)

Interview Question – MS interviewers are 'trained' not to lead the interviewee by asking questions that reveal information - most of the questions tend to be a bit banal - "where have you succeeeded, failed, what did you learn?"   View Answer

Reading, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2010.

Interview Details – Telephone Interview with HR, then telephone interview with hiring manager. Long gap to next interview (4months) and then 3 face to face interviews back to back, including the out going BM. Offer made within 7 days with an expectation to start within 30 days.

Interview Question – No one question was difficult but most questions were reasonably ambiguous with no right or wrong answer. Scenario driven questions highlighted an overly product oriented approach.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was very fast. A little room for salary, no room on benefits. Key to negotiating at MSFT is to understand the band of the role.

Sydney (Australia)

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process at Microsoft is reasonably long with up to 6 interviewers on the loop. Interviews are fairly tough and focus on competencies and open ended questions. At times feedback can be fairly limited and the time between interviews can leave you feeling a little in the dark and frustrated. Overall, the process is fine.

Interview Question – Describe how you would approach your first 180 days to deliver success in role?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Business Manager interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.