Microsoft

Microsoft Business Manager Interview Questions

3.1

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Microsoft moves quickly and is very professional throughout the process. I was contacted by a staffing consultant and within a week I had a phone interview. During the phone interview, I was told that I would be brought in for what Microsoft calls a "loop." A loop entails an in-person round of interviews. As I understand, the loop is progressive: So long as your interviews are going well, they add more to your schedule for that day. The final interview, should the candidate make it this far, would be an "As-Appropriate" with the lead of the team. From being contacted by the staffing consultant to concluding the in-person "loop" and receiving an offer took about 10 days.

Interview Questions
  • I had a few logic questions thrown my way. One person asked me to explain the moon cycles. He was more interested in my logic than in the exactness of my science.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

The process took a few weeks. After the inital call with HR I didn't hear back for a couple of weeks before being called in for a round of interviews because the manager had been traveling. The process took all day with hours of time in between to spare. I had to navigate myself around campus. It is not the same as it use to be.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something about someone else you know in this position and what the did wrong.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2010.

Went through 3 phone screens (1 by the hiring manager/director of the group), 2 by recruiters/HR people.

Then went in for in-person interviews that were split across different days because of interviewer availability.
    Standard behavioral questions (tell me a time when..., etc.), nothing too heavy.

They ended up going with an internal candidate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2009.

Microsoft interviews are strongly socialized - the process and (type of) questions are surprisingly uniform. Typically, there are 4-5 interviewers, plus the hiring manager, if you're considered a strong candidate. These group opinions are very powerful in the hiring process - it's extremely rare that a manager overrules the panel, even when privately, the manager may indicate that he or she would have hired the candidate based on their own read. (Bad hires eventually count against all the interviewers...)

Interview Questions
    • MS interviewers are 'trained' not to lead the interviewee by asking questions that reveal information - most of the questions tend to be a bit banal - "where have you succeeeded, failed, what did you learn?"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2008.

Great experience overall. Recruiter was extremely professional and on top of the details. Interview consisted of 7 different interviewers - maybe too many? - but don't know enough about group dynamics to know for sure. Be prepared, anticipate the tough questions, and know it's a long interview day. Smart people who want to figure out if you fit the culture.

Interview Questions

Wrong time to leave current position.

Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

The interview process at Microsoft is reasonably long with up to 6 interviewers on the loop. Interviews are fairly tough and focus on competencies and open ended questions. At times feedback can be fairly limited and the time between interviews can leave you feeling a little in the dark and frustrated. Overall, the process is fine.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would approach your first 180 days to deliver success in role?   Answer Question

Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2010.

Telephone Interview with HR, then telephone interview with hiring manager. Long gap to next interview (4months) and then 3 face to face interviews back to back, including the out going BM. Offer made within 7 days with an expectation to start within 30 days.

Interview Questions
    • No one question was difficult but most questions were reasonably ambiguous with no right or wrong answer. Scenario driven questions highlighted an overly product oriented approach.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was very fast. A little room for salary, no room on benefits. Key to negotiating at MSFT is to understand the band of the role.