Microsoft

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Interview

Software
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details – I got the opportunity to do a phone interview for them because of a connection. The recruiters were very nice. We exchanged some emails and set up a phone interview. I wasn't very well prepared but I did ok, not good enough though.

Interview Question – I wasn't expecting a technical question in my phone interview, so it didn't go well but if I had prepared I probably would have done very well.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2013.

Interview Details – I was contracted by a Microsoft recruiter though LinkedIn. Had a phone screen with the recruiter talking about my background and a technical phone interview 1 week later. Then I was invited to a hiring event in Chicago for an on-site interview. Onsite interview includes 4 rounds , 1 hour each. Interview questions includes white board coding, system design and some other open questions. All of the interviewers are pretty nice and friendly, they focus on how you approach the problem and communicate with them. I was interviewed on Thursday and got an offer on the following Tuesday.

Interview Question – 1. Design a String class. Then write code to implement Insert(). Discuss performance about Insert and Lookup. The goal is to fine a solution that achieves O(logN) for both Insert and Lookup.

2. Write code for Push/Get to implement a ring buffer based on a fixed size char buffer.

3. Communication between Client/Server for a remote file system is based on a unreliable link (99% up-time but sometimes packet can be dropped). The client can send request like Open, Read, Write, Seek, Close, Create, Delete to the server. How would this system deal with packet loss? ACK is not allowed, so you CANNOT use a TCP like protocol.

4. Write code to implement a method that returns the top 10 most frequent words in a given string.
  Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted through LinkedIn. Then I had 2 phone interviews. After they were satisfied, they invited me to a hiring event that was scheduled in Chicago for In-person interview. There was a Meet & Greet session scheduled couple of days before my actual interview. This gave opportunity to interact with team members that had members of interview panel.
In person interview had 4 interviews 1 hour each. And it was focussed on problem solving writing programs, discussing approaches, designing data structures.
Interviewers are very friendly & encouraging guiding the entire problem solving process.

Interview Question – Nothing specific   Answer Question

O365 Technical Solutions Professional Interview

O365 Technical Solutions Professional
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was a 3 stage process. Technical Phone Screen, and two in person interviews. The first In Person interview was delivered by three Sales Engineersand the second round was completed by a manager. The interview was technical, including questions about all the technologies offered in O365, its equivalent on premise, and competitive solutions. The management interview was more focus on communication styles, work habits, technical writing, and time management. They really stressed the importance of a desire for continued learning and professional growth.

Interview Question – I was surprised... there were no real brain teasers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – At that time, there wasn't much as far as negotiations. Take it or leave it. I was one of 5 candidates.

Intern Interview

Intern
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

Interview Details – they came to uic..and had a 30 minute interview.questions were reverse letters of each word in a sentence.Hello World->olleH dlroW..second was remove duplicates from single circular linked list..last was a project manager based question ..give feedback on design of product..mouse..

Interview Question – remove duplicates from single circular linked list   Answer Question

Communications Manager Interview

Communications Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Interview Details – I know someone that works at Microsoft, so I asked them to forward my resume to a recruiter which they did. A few weeks later, I was contacted by phone to set up a phone interview with the recruiter.

The interview was about 30 minutes long and consisted of a marketing case study. They asked me to describe what product I would like to market and to outline a marketing strategy for the product. Then they introduced different scenarios that would happen throughout the life cycle of the marketing campaign and asked how I would react.

Then they allowed me to ask questions about the position and the company.

Interview Question – What aspects of Microsoft's marketing strategy do you like best? How would you get your classmates to switch from Apple products to Microsoft products?   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!