Microsoft

Getting the Interview

15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2012.

Interview Details – 3 phone interviews, one was highly technical. I was really glad I had technical reference materials handy for this part. Three on-site interviews were very intense, each 50 minutes long. They fed me lunch and said after lunch there could be more interviews after lunch. After lunch they said I was good to go and that was it.

Interview Question – There were a lot of questions about specific people issues like difficult customers and handling disagreements in groups.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked if they could do a little better than the initial offer, they came back with more and it was done. Painless.

Very Difficult Interview

Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2011.

Interview Details – Best bring your A game, Microsof doesn't mess around when it comes to interviews. Even if you've made it to "finals days" you can still fail & many do. The process should feel more like a friendly discussion vs. an interrogation. You will be extensively questioned about your experience history.

Interview Question – What are some fundamental differences between Java & .NET?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Everything is negotiable including salary & title.

Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2008.

Interview Details – Half a day, consists of 4 1-on-1 interviews

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Straight forward, got a bonus for accepting a low-ball which was a mistake

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Five rounds with different focus areas like technology, programming, cultural fit.

Interview Question – Designing a complex distributed system.   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2009.

Interview Details – In total 6 rounds of interview for a college hire (like me). Questions were on latest market trends, your projects, basics of networking.

Interview Question – technical questions   Answer Question

New Delhi (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2009.

Interview Details – Telephonic rounds followed by personal round and hands on tests

Interview Question – Was not a surprise for me.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate looking at brand

Vellore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

Interview Details – It was a campus recruitment for intern position. First round was online round consisting of aptitude questions, software engineering and c output questions. Then shortlisted candidates were interviewed (tech + HR). Then final result was declared.

Interview Question – Just data structures questions were asked and only approach to the question was asked.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2008.

Interview Details – Got a call from a Recuiter - CV sourced from Monster
Setup Round 1 - Telephonic Round - Was very basic to start with but probed the limits of my understanding
Round 2 - Was called to Hyderabad and given a problem to solve . A panel discussion was conducted where I presented my solution and was probed on the same.
Round 3 - A call from a senior director - went into more depth around my solution
Round 4 - Another call from another senior Director - Mostly behavioural and attitudinal questions

Interview Question – Was asked to explain the appropriate solution to a business related problem   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation I was asked expectations and offered approximatly 80% of that-
Asked for and got a sign on bonus of the amount I was leaving in the last company.

Consultant

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2011.

Interview Details – The interview had 5 1:1s. There was a general interview, followed by a deep-dive session. Then, there was a hands-on coding session. This was followed by interviews with the hiring manager and director.

Interview Question – How does Garbage collection work in .Net?   Answer Question

Consulting Interview

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Interview Details – They asked about my experience, my interests and general questions.

Interview Question – Why Microsoft   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Consultant interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.