Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
  www.microsoft.com

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Design Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

After applying online for a UX design summer internship, I got an email for a 30 minute phone interview. After a few weeks, a recruiter called me on a Friday to tell me that they were looking for grad/PHD students for their internships, but that I had a good interview.

She instead asked if I was interested in interviewing in person for an internship at The Foundry, a new program for college students to make Window apps over the summer. I said yes, of course, and she only told me to keep the upcoming Tuesday open.

I was working full-time at the time, so a vague interview date wasn't the best for me (or my boss's patience). On Monday night, the day before the interview day, all the candidates met at the interview location for an orientation of sorts. We were told that the interview the next day would be 3hrs long– three 45min interviews with 15min breaks in between. While I should've asked my recruiter how in-person interviews typically work for interns, I still thought this process was very rushed and hastily put together (and a little inconsiderate, but I guess it weeds out those who were not completely committed).

Interview Questions
  • What would you do if a co-worker wasn't doing his work?   Answer Question