Microsoft Director Interview Questions

Updated Jun 4, 2015

3.5

Director Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Lengthy, panel of eight, questions around variety of tools, policy, BPM, KPI, managing people locally and virtually. Process was intimidating and not warm, don't expect this to be a camp fire discussion, its intense and gets right to the bottom of the jobs requirements and if you are a fit for what they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• Budget management scenarios that are impossible to solve   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2014.

Interview

Completely and ridiculously disorganized; got a call from the HR rep when I landed in Seattle asking if I was coming. Was then told they would have to scramble to get together people for the interview. Didn't have a reservation for a hotel at the airport the night I left. Can't believe a company like this would have such a terribly disorganized interview process. No followup after the interview. Was promised that the hiring manager (who wasn't present during the interview) would call and set up a time to fly out to see and interview me. As that pre-arranged date got nearer, there was no contact and I never heard anything back. Oh, well. I'd say their loss, but wasn't interested after I saw inside the company. Had an entry-level grunt fire a bunch of technical questions at me. No problem, of course, but that seemed kinda disrespectful for my background. I think they must have wanted an entry-level employee.

Interview Questions

• Asked a number of different questions, but that's not the relevant part of this interview.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

amazing - focus on problem solving

Interview Questions

• create a garden implement that changes the world - whiteboard the product development and GTM strategy   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2013.

Interview

Standard 5 interviewers + 1 optional "As Advised" final interview with a Senior VP. The 5 interviews were with the hiring manager, 1 person from his team, 1 senior HR Director, 2 internal customers. All interview questions were behavioral and focused on past experiences listed in the resume. no stress questions, no case questions, and no "prove you know your technical stuff" questions. Probably the toughest questions were with the SVP who poked a bit deeper into why they should hire me than i'd expected.

Interview Questions

• The follow-up question to "describe your top two biggest failures" was "how did you manage your role/job to recover from those failures"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2012.

Interview

I had 15 Lync interviews and never met a person until I flew to Seattle and met the hiring manager. It was bizarre!

Negotiation

The salary was misrepresented by the HR person, I think they didn't understand variable comp

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

The interview process at Microsoft is often long and convoluted. Be prepared for it. If you make it through screening then you'll be put in an 'interview loop'. These loops differ in length. For a marketing role you'll have a day of scheduled interviews. If the feedback is positive from those interviews then you will be put forward for a final interview with the AA or As Appropriate. They don't tell you this ahead of time so be prepared.

Interview Questions

• None come to mind outside the usual interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Microsoft has set bands for each level, there wasn't much wiggle room in the negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2010.

Interview

Phone screenings and then a round robin set of interviews with 4-6 interviewers.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

some flexibility but not a ton.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2010.

Interview

The interview process was long, spanning several months. Overall, Microsoft was communicative and helpful throughout the process. I submitted online, then was contacted to submit a more detailed questionnaire over mail. Then I met with a recruiter in the NYC area, then had a fly-out to Redmond. The offer was delivered through e-mail with a follow-up call from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• How many fish are in the ocean?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2010.

Interview

Poorly managed by HR and recruiting. Very spotty and subjective. No sense of conducting a productive interview process. Poorly managed by HR. Went through 24 interviews before getting the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2010.

Interview

Pre-call and then in-person interviews. The people seemed to have redundant questions as if they had not coordinated and planned ahead. I wish they had talked to one another first, so that they could each test for a different competency. A lot of the interview was for "fit," which basically means they would take you but need to make sure everyone would get along.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was an internal transfer