Microsoft

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Redmond, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Interview Details – Poorly managed by HR and recruiting. Very spotty and subjective. No sense of conducting a productive interview process. Poorly managed by HR. Went through 24 interviews before getting the job.

Redmond, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2010.

Interview Details – Expect multiple rounds. Initially informational. Then with Hiring Manager. If he/she is no-go you're done. If Hiring Manager believes you're a qualified candidate, then he/she will bring you in for a "loop" with 5-7 people. The last person is the partner/manager who has to "sign off" on your hire.

Note, Microsoft will almost always bring 3 people through on a loop. Best case scenario, you have a 1/3 chance of getting the job if you make it through the loop.

If you don't make it to the end of the loop - e.g. the "partner/manager is suddenly unavailable and called into a meeting" - then you're out. The loop participants decided it wasn't worth the partner/manager time to spend with you. You got a thumbs down.

Interview Question – If you're not ready to answer tough questions, then don't expect a job at Microsoft. Do your research on the interviewers, know the competition, and have opinions (but be open to others feedback)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiate up another level. Levels are super hard to move once inside Microsoft. Thus, better to move up a level, than to get more pay.

Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was long, spanning several months. Overall, Microsoft was communicative and helpful throughout the process. I submitted online, then was contacted to submit a more detailed questionnaire over mail. Then I met with a recruiter in the NYC area, then had a fly-out to Redmond. The offer was delivered through e-mail with a follow-up call from the recruiter.

Interview Question – How many fish are in the ocean?   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2009.

Interview Details – Excellent Hiring Process for me when I interviewed to get the job.

Interview Question – Between Loyalty and Delivery.. what would I choose and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Quick and easy.. Didn't get all what I wanted but got a great deal.

Very Difficult Interview

Director

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – amazing - focus on problem solving

Interview Question – create a garden implement that changes the world - whiteboard the product development and GTM strategy   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Interview Details – I had 15 Lync interviews and never met a person until I flew to Seattle and met the hiring manager. It was bizarre!

Negotiation Details – The salary was misrepresented by the HR person, I think they didn't understand variable comp

Miami, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2010.

Interview Details – Process was good with the exception they lied on the job title and empowerment of the role being offered.

Negotiation Details – Headhunter took care of it. I regret it.

Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2013.

Interview Details – Standard 5 interviewers + 1 optional "As Advised" final interview with a Senior VP.
The 5 interviews were with the hiring manager, 1 person from his team, 1 senior HR Director, 2 internal customers.

All interview questions were behavioral and focused on past experiences listed in the resume. no stress questions, no case questions, and no "prove you know your technical stuff" questions. Probably the toughest questions were with the SVP who poked a bit deeper into why they should hire me than i'd expected.

Interview Question – The follow-up question to "describe your top two biggest failures" was "how did you manage your role/job to recover from those failures"   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screenings and then a round robin set of interviews with 4-6 interviewers.

Interview Question – Discussion about Past failures   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – some flexibility but not a ton.

Director

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Rigorous process involving 4-5 interview depends on job role. Pretty straight forward. Strengths of work experience qualifies you to be considered for interview. The interview process validate your domain expertise , work style and cultural fit.

Interview Question – Questions are not designed to trick or test. But to understand candidates qualities, values and fit to working environment and role requirement.   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!