Microsoft Director Interview Questions

3.3

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ann Arbor, MI
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2010.

Pre-call and then in-person interviews. The people seemed to have redundant questions as if they had not coordinated and planned ahead. I wish they had talked to one another first, so that they could each test for a different competency. A lot of the interview was for "fit," which basically means they would take you but need to make sure everyone would get along.

Interview Questions
It was an internal transfer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Poorly managed by HR and recruiting. Very spotty and subjective. No sense of conducting a productive interview process. Poorly managed by HR. Went through 24 interviews before getting the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2010.

Expect multiple rounds. Initially informational. Then with Hiring Manager. If he/she is no-go you're done. If Hiring Manager believes you're a qualified candidate, then he/she will bring you in for a "loop" with 5-7 people. The last person is the partner/manager who has to "sign off" on your hire.

Note, Microsoft will almost always bring 3 people through on a loop. Best case scenario, you have a 1/3 chance of getting the job if you make it through the loop.

If you don't make it to the end of the loop - e.g. the "partner/manager is suddenly unavailable and called into a meeting" - then you're out. The loop participants decided it wasn't worth the partner/manager time to spend with you. You got a thumbs down.

Interview Questions
    • If you're not ready to answer tough questions, then don't expect a job at Microsoft. Do your research on the interviewers, know the competition, and have opinions (but be open to others feedback)   View Answer
    Negotiate up another level. Levels are super hard to move once inside Microsoft. Thus, better to move up a level, than to get more pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2010.

The interview process was long, spanning several months. Overall, Microsoft was communicative and helpful throughout the process. I submitted online, then was contacted to submit a more detailed questionnaire over mail. Then I met with a recruiter in the NYC area, then had a fly-out to Redmond. The offer was delivered through e-mail with a follow-up call from the recruiter.

Director Interview

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Microsoft.

Rigorous process involving 4-5 interview depends on job role. Pretty straight forward. Strengths of work experience qualifies you to be considered for interview. The interview process validate your domain expertise , work style and cultural fit.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are not designed to trick or test. But to understand candidates qualities, values and fit to working environment and role requirement.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2009.

Excellent Hiring Process for me when I interviewed to get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Between Loyalty and Delivery.. what would I choose and why?   View Answer
    Quick and easy.. Didn't get all what I wanted but got a great deal.

Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

amazing - focus on problem solving

Interview Questions
    • create a garden implement that changes the world - whiteboard the product development and GTM strategy   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

I had 15 Lync interviews and never met a person until I flew to Seattle and met the hiring manager. It was bizarre!

The salary was misrepresented by the HR person, I think they didn't understand variable comp

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2010.

Process was good with the exception they lied on the job title and empowerment of the role being offered.

Headhunter took care of it. I regret it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2013.

Standard 5 interviewers + 1 optional "As Advised" final interview with a Senior VP.
    The 5 interviews were with the hiring manager, 1 person from his team, 1 senior HR Director, 2 internal customers.

All interview questions were behavioral and focused on past experiences listed in the resume. no stress questions, no case questions, and no "prove you know your technical stuff" questions. Probably the toughest questions were with the SVP who poked a bit deeper into why they should hire me than i'd expected.

Interview Questions
    • The follow-up question to "describe your top two biggest failures" was "how did you manage your role/job to recover from those failures"   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!