Microsoft Director Interview Questions

Updated Mar 3, 2015

3.5

Director Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Lengthy, panel of eight, questions around variety of tools, policy, BPM, KPI, managing people locally and virtually. Process was intimidating and not warm, don't expect this to be a camp fire discussion, its intense and gets right to the bottom of the jobs requirements and if you are a fit for what they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• Budget management scenarios that are impossible to solve   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

The interview process at Microsoft is often long and convoluted. Be prepared for it. If you make it through screening then you'll be put in an 'interview loop'. These loops differ in length. For a marketing role you'll have a day of scheduled interviews. If the feedback is positive from those interviews then you will be put forward for a final interview with the AA or As Appropriate. They don't tell you this ahead of time so be prepared.

Interview Questions

• None come to mind outside the usual interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Microsoft has set bands for each level, there wasn't much wiggle room in the negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2010.

Interview

Pre-call and then in-person interviews. The people seemed to have redundant questions as if they had not coordinated and planned ahead. I wish they had talked to one another first, so that they could each test for a different competency. A lot of the interview was for "fit," which basically means they would take you but need to make sure everyone would get along.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was an internal transfer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2010.

Interview

Poorly managed by HR and recruiting. Very spotty and subjective. No sense of conducting a productive interview process. Poorly managed by HR. Went through 24 interviews before getting the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2010.

Interview

Expect multiple rounds. Initially informational. Then with Hiring Manager. If he/she is no-go you're done. If Hiring Manager believes you're a qualified candidate, then he/she will bring you in for a "loop" with 5-7 people. The last person is the partner/manager who has to "sign off" on your hire.

Note, Microsoft will almost always bring 3 people through on a loop. Best case scenario, you have a 1/3 chance of getting the job if you make it through the loop.

If you don't make it to the end of the loop - e.g. the "partner/manager is suddenly unavailable and called into a meeting" - then you're out. The loop participants decided it wasn't worth the partner/manager time to spend with you. You got a thumbs down.

Interview Questions

• If you're not ready to answer tough questions, then don't expect a job at Microsoft. Do your research on the interviewers, know the competition, and have opinions (but be open to others feedback)   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiate up another level. Levels are super hard to move once inside Microsoft. Thus, better to move up a level, than to get more pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2010.

Interview

The interview process was long, spanning several months. Overall, Microsoft was communicative and helpful throughout the process. I submitted online, then was contacted to submit a more detailed questionnaire over mail. Then I met with a recruiter in the NYC area, then had a fly-out to Redmond. The offer was delivered through e-mail with a follow-up call from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• How many fish are in the ocean?   1 Answer

Director Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Rigorous process involving 4-5 interview depends on job role. Pretty straight forward. Strengths of work experience qualifies you to be considered for interview. The interview process validate your domain expertise , work style and cultural fit.

Interview Questions

• Questions are not designed to trick or test. But to understand candidates qualities, values and fit to working environment and role requirement.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in July 2009.

Interview

Excellent Hiring Process for me when I interviewed to get the job.

Interview Questions

• Between Loyalty and Delivery.. what would I choose and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Quick and easy.. Didn't get all what I wanted but got a great deal.

Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

amazing - focus on problem solving

Interview Questions

• create a garden implement that changes the world - whiteboard the product development and GTM strategy   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2012.

Interview

I had 15 Lync interviews and never met a person until I flew to Seattle and met the hiring manager. It was bizarre!

Negotiation

The salary was misrepresented by the HR person, I think they didn't understand variable comp