Microsoft

Microsoft Engineer Interview Questions

3.2

34 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2011.

phone interview to know background and technical details was most important

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2011.

two phone interviews, then onsite

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2011.

Not related to any specific technology. mostly about problem solving, programming and testing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Easy programming question, but wasn't ready for the question at hand and was out of practice. Interviewer was fakely interested in what I had to say. Overall a pretty bad interview. Culture seemed very impersonal and superficial. The process of receiving an interview was very informal. Generally speaking, it seems really random who got through and who didn't. I was hoping for the program manager position and got programming questions, whereas another friend didn't get any. Who you get interviewed by is a very determining factor.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2009.

I provided my resume to my university's recruiter. I had worked with her in the past for a Microsoft sponsored student event, so she knew me.

A few weeks later Microsoft was conducting interviews on my school campus and invited me for what they call "oncampus interviews." This takes the place of a phone screening. Before the interview I fill out a form stating what positions I'm interested in: SDET, SDE, or PM. On the day of the interview you are interviewed by a single person, who asks general questions, and then questions more specific to your preferred area.

If you pass this phase you're invited to an interview at Microsoft, and you meet with multiple people, generally interviewed by two teams. You go to the office of the person interviewing you, and have to answer technical questions and do whiteboard programing. At each stage the interviewer can choose to send you home, but if they don't you're eventually interviewed by the fifth and final person, the hiring manager who has final say in whether you get an offer or not.

It took several months before my last interview before I heard that I was going to be getting an offer. This was unusual compared to my friends experiences.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a CD player. Specifically, what UI choices would you make? And then how would you test it?   Answer Question
    I did not attempted to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2009.

Too slow, moves so slow that you can just keep waiting. Plus you meet rude people who are more interested in finding personality fits than work fits.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in May 2009.

Had a phone interview... asked hypothetical questions and some about my current job, challenges, and qualifications for a future position. Found it to be an easy phone interview but did not get an offer. Technical qualifications were addressed and evaluated.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2008.

Resume being selected for the interview is the harder part in my opinion.
    Interviews are not so hard compared to Other equally popular companies.
    Most of the questions would be past interview questions found on internet.
    Even if you know answer right away , trying to deduce the procedure infront of the interviewer would be helpful in gaining a good impression.
    Roughly about 1 in 5 are selected from interviews.
    So if 20 guys are interviewed on your day. you would need to be atleast 4th best.

Interview Questions
    • Given a square Grid of numbers, Considering all the numbers at the boundary as 1 layer and numbers just inside as another layer and so on how would you rotate each of the layers of the numbers by a given amount.   View Answers (3)
    Cannot negotiate most of the time. Unless you are a top executive, VP and above.

Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2012.

The interviewer ask me some algorithm problems.
    These problems are sorting, traveling in a binary tree, and traveling in a single-linked list.
    The interviewer called me and tell me the problems orally.
    He opened a google document, and watch how I write programs.
    After I write the program, he asked the time complexity about the program.

Interview Questions
    • How to find the most duplicated number in a array?
      For example, the array is [0, 9, 7, 8, 5, 6, 3, 0, 1, 0], the number 0 appear three times. The most duplicated number is 0.

View Answer

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2011.

First i cleared the written test that consisted of aptitude and technical test and got selected for interview