Microsoft

Getting the Interview

34 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2011.

Interview Details – Not related to any specific technology. mostly about problem solving, programming and testing.

Interview Question – biggest challenge faced.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2009.

Interview Details – I provided my resume to my university's recruiter. I had worked with her in the past for a Microsoft sponsored student event, so she knew me.

A few weeks later Microsoft was conducting interviews on my school campus and invited me for what they call "oncampus interviews." This takes the place of a phone screening. Before the interview I fill out a form stating what positions I'm interested in: SDET, SDE, or PM. On the day of the interview you are interviewed by a single person, who asks general questions, and then questions more specific to your preferred area.

If you pass this phase you're invited to an interview at Microsoft, and you meet with multiple people, generally interviewed by two teams. You go to the office of the person interviewing you, and have to answer technical questions and do whiteboard programing. At each stage the interviewer can choose to send you home, but if they don't you're eventually interviewed by the fifth and final person, the hiring manager who has final say in whether you get an offer or not.

It took several months before my last interview before I heard that I was going to be getting an offer. This was unusual compared to my friends experiences.

Interview Question – How would you design a CD player. Specifically, what UI choices would you make? And then how would you test it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not attempted to negotiate.

Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2011.

Interview Details – two phone interviews, then onsite

Interview Questions

Seattle, WA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2011.

Interview Details – phone interview to know background and technical details was most important

Interview Question – What is your background in xyz field?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Interview Details – Easy programming question, but wasn't ready for the question at hand and was out of practice. Interviewer was fakely interested in what I had to say. Overall a pretty bad interview. Culture seemed very impersonal and superficial. The process of receiving an interview was very informal. Generally speaking, it seems really random who got through and who didn't. I was hoping for the program manager position and got programming questions, whereas another friend didn't get any. Who you get interviewed by is a very determining factor.

Interview Question – Design a queue   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2009.

Interview Details – Too slow, moves so slow that you can just keep waiting. Plus you meet rude people who are more interested in finding personality fits than work fits.

Interview Question – How would you plan this project?   View Answer

Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2008.

Interview Details – Resume being selected for the interview is the harder part in my opinion.
Interviews are not so hard compared to Other equally popular companies.
Most of the questions would be past interview questions found on internet.
Even if you know answer right away , trying to deduce the procedure infront of the interviewer would be helpful in gaining a good impression.
Roughly about 1 in 5 are selected from interviews.
So if 20 guys are interviewed on your day. you would need to be atleast 4th best.

Interview Question – Given a square Grid of numbers, Considering all the numbers at the boundary as 1 layer and numbers just inside as another layer and so on how would you rotate each of the layers of the numbers by a given amount.   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – Cannot negotiate most of the time. Unless you are a top executive, VP and above.

Very Easy Interview

Redmond, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2009.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview... asked hypothetical questions and some about my current job, challenges, and qualifications for a future position. Found it to be an easy phone interview but did not get an offer. Technical qualifications were addressed and evaluated.

Interview Question – What challenges are prevalent in your current job?   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2009.

Interview Details – Interview process was smooth sailing as the company was transparent enough to make a candidate understand in what position he is in and what is he capable of. Very punctual and understanding on time concern.

Interview Questions

Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2010.

Interview Details – Five rounds,
All technical,Mangerial
In depth knowledge of skill stes.
Confidence level is a must.
And dont give up atleast give it a try even thou u dont know.. but lil bit knowledge is required ans shud not be completely opposite.

Interview Question – How to scale up any app   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Its already very much frm my expectations so need o negotiate for my level of experience.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Engineering interview questions and advice. All 34 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.